Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:46 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,444,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez View Post
I live in a city that has illegals, but not just Mexicans. We have illegals from Poland, Ireland, Russia, the former Yugoslavia and other countries. What Arizona is doing would never work here. Many of our illegals are blue eyed blondes and look like fashion models.

They work in construction, bartending, restaurants, nannies, carpenters, house painters, hair stylists etc.

Carrying a birth certificate which is a 8x11 piece of paper is stupid. Still think a national ID for all citizens is a much better option.

Yes, this proves that they didn't think this idea very well. Its shoddy, invasive and discriminatory. I wonder where they get the people that come up with these ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 06:46 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,915,500 times
I agree with tinynot.
American citizens are detained everyday. This is nothing new. What this will do is give the authorities back the authority to actually do something about illegals when they are stopped for other reasons. Im sure there may be isolated situations where civil rights may be violated, but again that happens everyday anyway. Overall this will not negatively affect legal citizens.

My bro. is a cop and I have heard many stories where a traffic stop is made. The occupants do not speak any english, have multiple ID's, no DL, no ins. and there is nothing within the law that allows them to investigate the legal status of these people. If they happen to be arrested, there is nothing within the court system that allows investigation into legal status. I say bravo to Arizona and I hope other states follow suite.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:03 AM

29,539 posts, read 14,693,013 times
We need the immigration laws to change, if you are an illegal you should be deported, period. If you want to be in this country than try to get in thru the legal channels.
So yes I hope it leads to something bigger.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:42 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,281,940 times
Counterfeit birth certificate anyone?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,354,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree with tinynot.
American citizens are detained everyday. This is nothing new. What this will do is give the authorities back the authority to actually do something about illegals when they are stopped for other reasons. Im sure there may be isolated situations where civil rights may be violated, but again that happens everyday anyway. Overall this will not negatively affect legal citizens.

My bro. is a cop and I have heard many stories where a traffic stop is made. The occupants do not speak any english, have multiple ID's, no DL, no ins. and there is nothing within the law that allows them to investigate the legal status of these people. If they happen to be arrested, there is nothing within the court system that allows investigation into legal status. I say bravo to Arizona and I hope other states follow suite.
Is there any law against tipping off Immigration whilst they're being detained for driving without a license and insurance and having different types of ID?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:42 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,915,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Is there any law against tipping off Immigration whilst they're being detained for driving without a license and insurance and having different types of ID?
Immigration enforcement is pretty much a joke here. By the time an officer "tips off" immigration and they would actually show up the suspects have left. A mircle to ever find them again if they are indeed illegal (multiple fake ID, fake addresses, etc).

Old 04-26-2010, 08:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Counterfeit birth certificate anyone?
The concept of the birth certificate is a joke. I can get anybody's birth certificate for ten bucks and a ten minute wait in line at the courthouse.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:04 AM

(Inadvertent duplicate trying to edit. Impossible to delete.)

Last edited by jtur88; 04-26-2010 at 09:14 AM..

Old 04-26-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree with tinynot.

You don't respect and don't honor and don't even want your right as an American to move about free of suspicion and harassment by authorities, but you still expect me to give my life to defend that right? Do you have any idea how many good men have died for a right that you are now ready to just flick out the window?

Basically, Americans have let the police trample our rights when we are in an automobile, when all constitutional guarantees are taken off the table. Yes, people in cars are detained every day, because of the perpetuation of the lie (by you conservatives) that driving is a privilege. You foster that lie in order to concede the rights of people in cars, because you don't want "the wrong people" to have rights. You're nice and white, and you don't need to worry about having your rights trampled. You and the thugs are on the same side, and there is honor among thieves.

The difference is, now, in Arizona, you can be arrested while walking to the library, if you don't have your passport with you. Is that the America good men fought and died for? You no longer need to get into your car in order to sacrifice your rights. In the other 49 states, if a cop walks up to you on the street and addresses you, you have a right to say "I'm sorry, I don't have time to talk to you right now" and just walk away. The cop then needs to either let you go, or have probable cause to detain you. In Arizona you have lost that right. It has simply been taken away from people by the edict of a dictatorial tyrant.

According the Constitution that you have asked good men to die for, an American NEVER has to prove his innocence. Not to the police on the street, not to a judge in court.

Ask your born-in-the-USA friends who don't look like Europeans how they feel about this law. Oh, wait. I bet you don't HAVE any friends who don't look like Europeans.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times
I consider myself a very liberal personally and politically. My liberalism does not include allowing government agents like traffic police or immigration officials to walk up and demand identification papers. I barely agree with cops asking for license and registration when they stop me for a “license plate light is out” when they are trolling for drunks.

Weather right or left this is the real beginning of totalitarianism. This “cure” for illegal immigration, like prohibition of alcohol or pot, is worse than the problem. I do not want any police to have the right to stop me, ask for identification and detain me if I do not have any papers without a very good reason. Having a “Hispanic” or Chinese or Black or pale blond European appearance is NOT sufficient reason. BTW – I am a middle aged white man that looks like the my Germanic ancestry.

IMHO the politics of anyone that pushes this abomination is not right or left but totalitarian. I prefer to be free, at a miniscule risk from illegal’s, than under the thumb of some authority that offers little safety in exchange for me no longer being left alone to go about my business.

Like all the old movies I now expect a dapper little man in a bowler hat to walk up top me and say "Papers please". My only problem is why can’t I shoot him for his audacity and assault on my privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates