Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 05:59 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The News Review - NRtoday.com News | Roseburg Oregon (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_RUSSIA_BOMBINGS?SITE=ORROS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLAT E=DEFAULT - broken link)

"Medvedev, himself a lawyer, said the laws should be broadened so that those who help terrorists even in small ways - "by making soup or washing clothes" - are punished. However, that is something Russian authorities have already been doing.

In my opinion, we have to create such a model for terrorist crimes that anyone who helps them - no matter what he does, be it cook the soup or wash the clothes - has committed a crime," Medvedev said.

Russian police and security forces have long been accused of seizing people suspected of aiding militants. Some people were tortured and many disappeared, and rights people trying to document the abuses have also been slain, kidnapped, threatened or have disappeared."

This is one instance where I applaud the Russian way of dealing with things. I don't hear calls from their leaders for holding trials for terrorists in Moscow, nor see lawyers queueing up to play the defense role in courtroom theater.

America should be taking notes on how to deal with such issues. Russians don't get many things right, (I've spent enough time there to see first hand how that society runs), but I'm on their side on handling this particular problem the way they are.

I'll step aside so the libs and apologists can have their say.... fire away!
Bravo! Shoot everyone that can be associated with terrorists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 06:36 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Isn't it amazing how citing the Constitution is all you have to do to be accused of tearing America apart from within?

Amendment 6
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and
public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime
shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously
ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the
accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory
process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of
Counsel for his defence.

.................................................. ..................................................

Yeah, its really revolutionary stuff. It took the likes of Adams, Madison, Hamilton and Jefferson to come up with it. It ought to be required reading for all these gung ho law and order types.

Honestly, these conservatives wouldn't know what real freedom is if it bit them in butt.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Bravo! Shoot everyone that can be associated with terrorists.
Including posters who "aid, abet and coddle" them in this forum by demanding due process for those who are merely suspected of cooking for them and doing their laundry. Which will be easy to do, because most of us "terrorists" are unarmed and don't keep guns in our house to defend ourselves.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:00 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Not so fast. Are we talking about an action that takes place in the USA or abroad? If the act takes place in the USA, its territories, or possessions I think its crystal clear that the Constitution does apply.

The problem with what you suggest is simple. What is the dividing line between a terrorist and a criminal? If someone is accused of using a bomb or a gun in a crime does that make them a terrorist who may be handled completely outside the legal system? How about Tim McVeigh? He wasn't connected to Al Quaeda or any foreign terrorist network. He was a homegrown terrorist. Are you saying it would have been ok to ignore the Constitution in dealing with him?

Or is a "terrorist" anyone whom the President says it is?

And please stop the BS about "aiding and abetting" terrorists by asserting that they are entitled to due process under the law. The implication is that those of us who maintain that those who violate the laws inside the USA must be subjected to Constitutional due process are somehow in cahoots with the terrorists. You want to start name calling over that, I got some choice names for you too.
Spare me the hyperbole & hogwash. And while you're at it, why don't you take a look at what other people are actually writing, rather than your own weird problem with projection.

Unless, of course, you somehow feel guilty about all this...

Old 04-02-2010, 09:34 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
But what makes you think our government doesn't already punish people who have been proven to have aided and abetted those involved in terrorist activites? I know for a fact that a lot of the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, for instance, were incarcerated for simply being "known associates" of those even being suspected as terrorists. And due to the Patriot Act--which has basically erased your 4th, 5th, & 6th Amendment Rights, BTW, anyone suspected of terrorism, or even voicing their support of it, can be incarcerated in lieu of formal charges for an indeterminate length of time; as it did away with the old 72-hour rule. The Pat Act also allows the NSA to tap your phones or put you under surveillence for something as trivial as checking out library books advocating government overthrow (anarchy) or bomb-making.
And when was the last time you flew? What about the full-body imaging scans that all us innocent citizens are forced to undergo when boarding airline flights? Look, I fly alot, and am as patriotic as anyone--I'm a veteran, fer cryin' out loud--but I really do feel that our laws enabling us to pursue suspected terrorists ar quite sufficient as present.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:09 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Spare me the hyperbole & hogwash. And while you're at it, why don't you take a look at what other people are actually writing, rather than your own weird problem with projection.

.................................................. ................................................

Awwww....another post where you attack the poster rather than making any argument. Its getting to be pretty standard.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

.................................................. ................................................

Awwww....another post where you attack the poster rather than making any argument. Its getting to be pretty standard.
Standard?

There's nothing in your silly, inane post to attack but the poster.

The problem is that your crying about The Patriot Act might have been relevant 5 years ago. But it's not anymore. Time for you to head back to The Daily Kos for some new, cheap talking points.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:25 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
It's funny, people all of a sudden cherish the Constitution, when it comes to dealing with terrorists. When it comes to anything else our government does, much of which is unconstitutitonal, same people could care less.
So true. We seem to 'cafeteria constitutionalists' in that we pick the parts that we care about to emphasize. We need to look at it as a whole.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:50 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

Let the questioning of patriotism begin. How unexpected.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Let the questioning of patriotism begin. How unexpected.
More irrational hyperbole. How unexpected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates