Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:34 PM

19 posts, read 38,056 times

Advertisements

Considering the lifelong dangerous effects of what drugs can have on a fetus, what should happen to mothers who give birth to babies that are tested positive for crack cocaine and other addictive drugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 02:17 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Por1427 View Post
Considering the lifelong dangerous effects of what drugs can have on a fetus, what should happen to mothers who give birth to babies that are tested positive for crack cocaine and other addictive drugs?
http://discovermagazine.com/2006/dec/crack-baby-unfounded-stigma

I hope you would include alcohol and Tobacco in your list of punishable drugs.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:14 PM

7 posts, read 13,256 times
Yes, I'm sure all addictive drugs and substances are included.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:08 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen11 View Post
Yes, I'm sure all addictive drugs and substances are included.
So what should happen to moms who smoke or drink?

Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,672 times
Do you all feel like mothers that smoke and drink should face the same consequences as those who do all of the other addictive substances? What kind of consequences should be given to mothers that abuse those drugs? I mean I don't know, should they be incarcerated, or be required to go through treatment instead?

Old 02-09-2010, 09:35 PM

519 posts, read 1,049,713 times
I think drinking and other illegal drugs are worse for a baby than tobacco.

Because drinking causes brain damage in a growing babies brain and that is irreversable and other illegal drugs are psyiologically addictive... so it causes massive problems for hospital staff and caregivers. (Not to mention the poor baby itself)

I am ignorant of what the authorities currently do for the babies of addicts...?

I think that the baby should be removed from the care of an alcoholic/ drug addicted mother and given either to the father or another member of the extended family.

I don't think the mum should be given any time to 'clean up' to ensure that the baby is returned to her care - because she really needed to clean up for the sake of her baby whilst pregnant.

If she couldn't/ wouldn't do it then, then it should be bye bye baby.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:13 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
What happens? They deal with DCF. They lose their child or worse. We all know how well that turns out. Although most media only reports the bad DCF can do. I work for the state and know plenty of people who work for DCF. There is a lot of good DCF can do but you dont hear about it.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:27 AM

Should they get a second chance of getting their child back if they "clean up"? Everybody deserves a second chance, right?

Old 02-12-2010, 11:53 AM

530 posts, read 780,015 times
When I was doing my nursery rotation in nursing school there were several babies that were on methadone b/c of the mother's drug use during pregnancy, when I asked what would happen to the babies and mothers I was told that the hospital would refer them to a social services consult and "most of the time" the babies are released with the mothers when they were medically ready to go. IMO these children should be removed from those parents until the parent can provide a stable environment for their kids, with frequent visits thereafter from social services. When I had to sit in the nursery and hold one of those addicted babies tight against me to sooth him (as much as possible) while he screamed, not baby crying but screaming I seriously wanted to shake the mother and father!

Old 02-13-2010, 05:13 AM

Wow, it's crazy that they actually allow the baby to return back home with the mother!!!! Taking harmful drugs while knowing that you are pregnant and knowing that it can kill the baby seems like manslaughter (if the baby actually dies). If the baby survives then it should be considered abuse, neglect, intent to kill, SOMETHING! Think about the baby who has no say so, I'm sure if he/she could talk-back to the mother it probably would not want to go! If the mother cannot care for the baby during its most critical period of life and development how can you believe she will do right afterwards?? THIS IS CRAZY!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates