Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:40 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,397 times

Advertisements

I tried to put this in the R&P forum, but it didn't get many replies so maybe I'll try it here instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I have read many posts on here that say that our value system (moral code) could have only come from god. This it seems is a common idea of where our morals have come from. from this, it is asserted that we would be best to adhere to this moral code that god imposed on us, even today - especially today.

Despite the obvious "canned" nature of this, it doesn't seem to be very applicable. If humans have no capacity for morals, values and in essence "right and wrong" (thus being the reason for god to have to give us a moral code) then wouldn't a god be wasting their time to impose a system of morals upon us? I mean why even bother trying to give us morals if we haven't the capacity to understand them?

We obviously have some capacity for understanding moral codes. So why couldn't our morals be born out of that capacity?

But when discussing this god made system of morals, why not consider the era when all these biblical morals were being imposed? We have all heard of these moral woes that are in the bible. the beatings, slavery, murder and warfare. All these horrible things happened at a time when people were "closer to god", when biblical religion was the system. Human beings lived in some of the worst, most horrible moral conditions ever known to humanity during these times - when this moral code was fresh and applied liberally. It was considered moral to own slaves, and this has changed.

So finally I ask this: have the moral changes that we have made since biblical times benefited humanity or done more harm? Consider also that if you are a woman, or have the wrong skin color in the age when biblical morals reigned supreme you most likely wouldn't even be able to use the computer you'll type your reply on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 10:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Basically common morals come from a common belief system of satndards. It give epople common vlaues that they all share. now days we are become more a valueless society of whatever turns you on. its leads to conflict;no satndard of conduct and division as we see. it become the self society .

Old 12-07-2009, 02:03 AM

252 posts, read 660,845 times
I think changes have been for the better. Some will say otherwise, and as long as some pick their morals exclusively from religious books there will be conflict, but it has.

Morals were rules to follow so that people didn't go killing each other off or destroying a clan or tribe over nonsense. It was a great for human survival. They're still good to follow to keep the peace. Morals that have dropped off are ones that have become unnecessary or hypocritical. It used to be perfectly fine to own another person or to kill a person based on superstition (witch hunts, anyone?) but as people have come to realize that everyone is equal, its not ok to do today. Now days people get all in a huff and claim moral breakdown over two men making out. Just remember that there was a time where it was more acceptable for a 40 year old man to marry a 12 year old girl, then beat her within an inch of her life for any reason he saw fit, than it was to steal an apple from a cart. I'd take today's "moral breakdown" any day.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:21 AM

206 posts, read 571,690 times
Morals keep us civilized. W/o them anyone would feel right doing anything they wanted. For humans to be able to live with eachother we have to have some sort of a code of conduct to guide us by or true anarchy would be the norm. And as much as people clam, nobody truly wants that to be the case.
As for them to have been set down be a god, that all depends on what your personal belief system is. Personally it doesn't matter to me which way you want to think on that part of it because does it really matter?
If it was handed down by a god, does he/she require you to be able to understand him in order to live by the rules and moral codes he/she laid down? And if we in fact did create them ourselves then I belive they were created out of nessesity for a more civilized society.
Also I do believe that as time goes on more of our outdated morals and values will be left behide as we become more aware of who we are as the human race.
So in answer to your question I believe that the changes we have made have been good up to this point but we still have a bit more progress to make in this world.
(Did that make sense?)

Old 12-07-2009, 04:55 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Society, religion, and family impose their morals upon us. Sometimes it takes, sometimes it doesn't. But society still determines what is moral under a nation of laws.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:07 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrja View Post
Morals keep us civilized.
This begs the question "What does 'civilized' mean?"

Are there any societies that do not have moral codes? I can't really think of any. I can think of some whose moral codes contain elements that I find absolutely repellant, but they are moral strictures...just not mine.

So, I think almost immediately we are into a "mine is better than yours" situation, but who judges?

Old 12-07-2009, 07:10 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Society, religion, and family impose their morals upon us. Sometimes it takes, sometimes it doesn't. But society still determines what is moral under a nation of laws.
Doesn't society still determine what is moral in nations - or among peoples - where there is no law as we think of it, but rather a body of custom that governs conduct?

Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

Are there any societies that do not have moral codes? I can't really think of any. I can think of some whose moral codes contain elements that I find absolutely repellant, but they are moral strictures...just not mine.
No, there aren't any societies that lack moral codes, even in sub-cultures that live counter to the greater society possess moral codes of conducts which presents and interesting point. If morality is god given, and we recognize the fact that the same and most basic moral principles are present in all cultures then the either god has chosen to give his laws in the form of a myriad number of religions or, morality like religion is a human construct required by every society for its very preservation.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:39 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
Morals are a way to shame people into doing what you think they should be doing. Shame and Guilt do wonders on the weak minded. --the rest Skip School, and head to the beach.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:41 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Now days we are become more a valueless society of whatever turns you on. its leads to conflict;no standard of conduct and division as we see. it become the self society .
Actually, there has never been less conflict in the world than today, so I think we could say we're still moving forward.

You can never really go further than yourself, pushing your morality onto other people has never been a good idea.

Live by the moral standard you set for yourself, strive to meet it, and you'll do just fine. Worry less about the world and more about yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates