Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:10 AM

50 posts, read 95,783 times

Advertisements

For the next 5 weeks the class I am taking focuses on Ethics and Morals and I have a few suggestions for topics that we could discuss in class as they relate to the subject. I just wanted to see what kind of response I might expect when I brought them up. I'm sure none of you mind throwing out your opinions. Just please try to be respectful in your response. I'm not trying to offend anyone. Thanks in advance.

If a person is receiving ANY form of governmental assistance, should the government be allowed to limit the number of children that person has?

If a person's insurance is COMPLETELY funded by the government and that person is on life support, does the government have a say as to when to pull the plug? If not should they?

Should prostitution be legalized in ALL states?

Is a church that has a large number of openly gay members immoral in allowing these members to be a part of their congregation?

Would it be seen as immoral if an openly gay person was the pastor of a church?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzkisha2011 View Post
For the next 5 weeks the class I am taking focuses on Ethics and Morals and I have a few suggestions for topics that we could discuss in class as they relate to the subject. I just wanted to see what kind of response I might expect when I brought them up. I'm sure none of you mind throwing out your opinions. Just please try to be respectful in your response. I'm not trying to offend anyone. Thanks in advance.

If a person is receiving ANY form of governmental assistance, should the government be allowed to limit the number of children that person has?

If a person's insurance is COMPLETELY funded by the government and that person is on life support, does the government have a say as to when to pull the plug? If not should they?

Is a church that has a large number of openly gay members immoral in allowing these members to be a part of their congregation?

No.
No, No.
Yes.
No.
No.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times

It is not the job of the government to interfere in the personal, individual lives of her citizens. These are decisions for individuals and/or their families. I would support certain alterations in the law, but the general answer is no.

That's up to the people of the states. The federal government shouldn't legislate it. Would I vote for it? I'm not sure.

I think no. I believe churches that deny membership or leadership roles based on sexual orientation are immoral, but it is an issue to be decided by the parent organization or the individual church.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:44 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
My response is "How does whatever viewpoint being expressed fit into your larger sense of morals and ethics?" My next question is "How much have you done to inform yourself about the subject being discussed, so that you can give a meaningful and hopefully insightful reason for your belief?"

I really could care less about a poll or consensus. Reality is not achieved through consensus, and emotional opinions give direction to morality about as much as someone saying "Go over that way" and pointing does when receiving directions on how to get to New York City. Emotion is often based on nebulous and unformed thought, which is in turn based on insufficient information to make an educated decision.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:02 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,842 times

I'm not too well versed in how many different types of government assistance programs there are and where to draw the line. Do student loans count as government assistance? If they do, than no. Lots of people take out student loans and then become adults who are able to financially and emotionally take care of children. If we limit to those who are constantly on welfare/housing/etc, have ALWAYS been on welfare, and have no desire to get off of welfare....well, my opinion would probably make a lot of people angry, but yes. The world's population is rising too quickly anyway. Jobs are in a shortage (at least partly, IMO) because of the sheer number of people we have. If you require constant GA to take care of yourself, you have no right or reason to bring other people into this world that you can't take care of.

I have no idea if this already exists or not. But similar to the children issue, I'm kinda leaning towards yes, they should be able to. It's hard to draw the line between compassion for others and supporting self-sufficiancy, but right now we seem to have swung too far to the other side. Those that work hard and follow the rules always seem to pay the most.

I think that should be a state by state measure.

I think it would be ironic. But definitely not immoral.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:48 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Quote:
No. That would be an unneccessary intrusion into the individual rights of people, and is probably unconstitutional.

Quote:
Again, no. That's allowing the government an unnecessarily broad intrusion into the personal decisions of people. Think of the slippery slope: if they have a say over that, then what else might they want to have a say in?

Quote:
I don't think this is an ethics question. It's about state rights v. federal government. It should be up to each individual state--which it currently is.

Quote:
Some people would absolutely think so. But I am not one of those people.

Quote:
See previous answer.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:47 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
I have other directions that you could discuss over the next five weeks.

1) We all want roll models for our children. Should we allow anybody, convicted of a felony, to hold a position in the public spotlight? That includes politicians, athletes, celebrities and the media.

2)Starvation is currently the only acceptable way we euthanize our elderly in all fifty states. Doctors can simply remove the feeding tubes from patients that have signed DNR forms. Why have we not embraced a more sensible, swift, humane, method to end our lives?

3)Our population has now passed seven billion. When is enough, enough? What distinguishes humans from the microbes in a Petri dish - that consume all the food and die?

4)What role should robotics, technology and online education play in educating our young? It is evident that they (the computers) are getting smarter by the minute. Should or will this new form of education take over?

5)In a capitalist society is it healthy for some to work all their lives while others receive all their lives?

Old 12-16-2011, 06:02 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
If a person is receiving ANY form of governmental assistance, should the government be allowed to limit the number of children that person has? ***You would probably never get away with that but it would be logical and beneficial to society. I think a couple of states stop paying more after the 2nd child as a way to discourage the old have another baby to increase the household income.

If person's insurance is COMPLETELY funded by the government and that person is on life support, does the government have a say as to when to pull the plug? If not should they?***You got to be careful with pulling the plug because of the greed, selfishness and insanity of what seems to be the majority of people today so I would say no.

Should prostitution be legalized in ALL states? Yes. Not legalizing it has to do with a moral attitude and it thrives anyway so regulation would be a good thing. We all sell parts of our body and geography of the part should not determine whether or not it is legal. It is however immoral.

Is a church that has a large number of openly gay members immoral in allowing these members to be a part of their congregation?*** I don't believe that a church can be immoral but can be in their doctrine I guess. I believe the church should be open to all but not celebrate sin or make exceptions for certain types of sin just to get butts in the seats. The issue with openly gay members to me would be that they are their openly announcing their sin and probably without the thought of going and sinning no more, without even the intention?

Would it be seen as immoral if an openly gay person was the pastor of a church?*** If the church is Bible-based, most definitely. Really, how many pastors get up front and say "I have committed this sin in the past, am committing this sin currently and will continue to commit this sin in the future with absolutely no thought of mending my ways.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:51 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Some favorite quotes (http://www.ldb.org/pirsig.htm - broken link) on the idea of morality.

Cultures are not the source of all morals, only a limited set of morals.
Cultures can be graded and judged morally according to their contribution to the evolution of life.

A culture that supports the dominance of social values over biological values is an absolutely superior culture to one that does not, and a culture that supports the dominance of intellectual values over social values is absolutely superior to one that does not.

Today we are living in an intellectual and technological paradise and a moral and social nightmare because the intellectual level of evolution,in its struggle to become free of the social level, has ignored the social level's role in keeping the biological level under control.

hth

Old 12-16-2011, 09:29 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,516 times
Quote:

After their first child the government should recommend ways that they could possibly make up for it themselves should they have any more children. Personal responsibility should have some part in this.
If you can barely make it with one, then more will only be harder.

No they should not be allowed to pull the plug. But they should be allowed to end the insurance after a specified amount of years if they so choose.

Yes prostitution should be legalized in all states. But that should be left up to the states.

As far as the last two queries if one uses the strictest words of the King James Bible in Leviticus I think it has the words about same sex relations being an abomination.
I'd say that is their situation to discuss with God.
Because I have no moral polarity regarding sexuality except being against rape and child molestation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates