Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:59 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,525 times

Advertisements

I sure do like me some good music, regardless of who plays it. My Neighbor Teaches Music. and I even love to hear the Kids struggle through their lessons. Music calms the savage best, in all of us. I can leave it at that.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:44 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
From 4 rows off the stage, with program (complete with names) in hand, YES.

The red-headed girl whose last name is Bjornruud is most likely NOT Hispanic.
I'm not a racist but..........

Old 11-05-2009, 10:55 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So last night my wife & I enjoyed a wonderful concert by the Omaha Area Youth Orchestras, at The Holland Center. Omaha Performing Arts - Holland Performing Arts Center (http://www.omahaperformingarts.org/opac.asp - broken link) It was an incredible night of beautiful music, and is great fun to see such talent. A 14-year old Japanese student played an absolutely stunning Violin Concerto with the final orchestra.

As we were watching & listening to each of the 4 groups play, I couldn't help but notice the racial makeup of the groups.

In each orchestra, the racial makeup was approximately 2/3rds white, and 1/3rd Asian, including (India) Indian. There were 2-3 black kids in each orchestra, and I noticed that there were no Hispanic kids in any of the groups. This racial mix did not change from one group to the next.

So why is this? This does not - in any way - reflect the racial demographic of our metro area.

Is the reason for this racial "imbalance" purely economic? Are there some races/cultures that do not enjoy or promote Classical Music? Is there something else going on here?
You must not be a musician or come from a musicians background.

#1. Race has nothing to do with it.

#2. Access to the art has everything to do with who has access to an orchestral music program.

If you don't have access, if your school district doesn't offer an orchestra elective in elementary school, you won't learn.

Period.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:17 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What sort of insanity is that?

Considering that both Paul Robeson, and Marion Anderson ...
Again, more examples of cultural arrogance with a bit of musical ignorance. Violins, violas and cellos are the only instruments of European classical music? There are a multitude of African American kids who study, the entire span of brass, woodwind, percussive instruments to say nothing of piano and classical vocals.

You need to get out of the bay area more often.
Listen get control of yourself, for God's sake. Your rants don't mean anything to me. Don't be threatened by the reality and don't be in denial. I am right. The reality is that most (I estimated close to 98%) of black people today RUN FROM classical music. You cite a few examples where a few blacks embrace it. That's fine, but these people shouldn't be the EXCEPTION, but the RULE. Jazz doesn't count here. Sly, Hendrix, Motown DON'T COUNT either. I'm strictly talking about participation in chamber orchestras or those that focus on the music of the great composers like Beethoven, Bach, Wagner, Mozart, Handel, Brahms, Bartok, Dvorak, and so forth.

You were exposed to classical music. Great. You are one of FEW. Recognize the reality, don't run from it. Robeson? Anderson? These few should've been among MILLIONS of black people. Violin, viola, cello, bass. Did you by chance learn to play any one of these four instruments?

You seem to think you know me pretty well with the "cultural ignorance" comments, but you don't know a damn thing about me. Acknowledge the reality, don't run from it.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:29 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You must not be a musician or come from a musicians background.

#1. Race has nothing to do with it.

#2. Access to the art has everything to do with who has access to an orchestral music program.

If you don't have access, if your school district doesn't offer an orchestra elective in elementary school, you won't learn.

Period.
Well... In high school, one field I strongly considered was teaching music. I had a music scholarship in college. Play several instruments. Married to a woman whose whole family consists of professional musicians and artists. Both my sons have been professional musicians, and one still is. Daughter that has been all-state, all-city, honors orchestra, etc.

Basically, yeah, you could say I know just a little bit about music.

And I'll say this about your comments: You're dead wrong about it having nothing to do with race. Period.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Listen get control of yourself, for God's sake. Your rants don't mean anything to me. Don't be threatened by the reality and don't be in denial. I am right. The reality is that most (I estimated close to 98%) of black people today RUN FROM classical music. You cite a few examples where a few blacks embrace it. That's fine, but these people shouldn't be the EXCEPTION, but the RULE. Jazz doesn't count here. Sly, Hendrix, Motown DON'T COUNT either. I'm strictly talking about participation in chamber orchestras or those that focus on the music of the great composers like Beethoven, Bach, Wagner, Mozart, Handel, Brahms, Bartok, Dvorak, and so forth.

You were exposed to classical music. Great. You are one of FEW. Recognize the reality, don't run from it. Robeson? Anderson? These few should've been among MILLIONS of black people. Violin, viola, cello, bass. Did you by chance learn to play any one of these four instruments?

You seem to think you know me pretty well with the "cultural ignorance" comments, but you don't know a damn thing about me. Acknowledge the reality, don't run from it.
He does the same thing to everybody he feels threatened by. He'll pull the old, "I'm so educated that you can't even begin to touch me" attitude on you.

I think his main problem is insecurity.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:54 AM

142 posts, read 205,714 times
Again, I must apologize to some people if I sound too racist for you, but I do believe music preference DOES have a lot to do with race. I think some folks just don't want to admit it because they fear being called a racist. It is not some kind of marketing ploy that's drawing the majority of blacks to hip-hop, rap, jazz and so forth. For many blacks, classical music is not at all inspiring. Just think about the difference in the way a black church choir sings vs. a white church choir. It has nothing at all to do with marketing. People are born different for a reason. It's just too bad that some are so set on playing the superior/inferior game.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erehs059 View Post
Again, I must apologize to some people if I sound too racist for you, but I do believe music preference DOES have a lot to do with race. I think some folks just don't want to admit it because they fear being called a racist. It is not some kind of marketing ploy that's drawing the majority of blacks to hip-hop, rap, jazz and so forth. For many blacks, classical music is not at all inspiring. Just think about the difference in the way a black church choir sings vs. a white church choir. It has nothing at all to do with marketing. People are born different for a reason. It's just too bad that some are so set on playing the superior/inferior game.
Exactly.

There are distinct cultural/racial (the lines differentiating the two are often too blurred to know where the line actually is) preferences and priorities. It has everything to do with what is prioritized and promoted in the home and neighborhood.

It's amazing to me how angry some people become anytime anything racial is talked about. Why not admit that, though we're all of equal value, we're all different? We like different things. We often prioritize differently. And there's really nothing wrong with that.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:31 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
So let me ask you a question. Do you think the first chair violin in the New York Philharmonic makes as much money in their performances as Jay-Z does in his? Maybe the real question is why aren't more Asians/Indians in Hip Hop?

Old 11-06-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
So let me ask you a question. Do you think the first chair violin in the New York Philharmonic makes as much money in their performances as Jay-Z does in his? Maybe the real question is why aren't more Asians/Indians in Hip Hop?
A fair question.

Here's another fair question...

Who's more likely to be shot dead in a fight? The principle violinist for the NY Philharmonic, or Jay-Z?

Honestly, the "cultures" of hip-hop and philharmonic are completely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates