Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:31 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I've found that young blacks aren't interested in listening to classical music, let alone wanting to play it.
As opposed to hordes of white kids who are just dying to?

Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 AM

By the way, you folks do realize that Classical music represents 1% of total recordings sold.

Now take out your pocket calculators and figure out what 1% of each of the various "racial" groups comprise the American record buying population and see how the total numbers shake out.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Why is anybody having trouble with this concept? If I blindfolded you and took you into a hangout where music was being played, would you be able to make any guesses about the ethnicity and demographics of the people in that place? Do you think you'd be surprised when I took your blindfold off?

Old 11-03-2009, 11:25 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
Why do Hispanics dominate Mariachi, Mambo, and Spanish Guitar?
Why do AA's dominate Gospel, Jazz, Pop and Rap?

Culture.

P.S. My wife (Mexicana) is a heck of a Cellist who played all throughout High School and College.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:37 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You might check into the Omaha public schools and see if they've had to cut the music (not band) and arts programs. Many school systems have done this.

I think it's safe to guess that a single-digit percent of kids live in homes where classical music is listened to frequently.
Because my daughter was a student there, I happen to know that Omaha North High School - a school many white parents don't want their kids to go to because it's "ghetto" - has the ONLY "Honors Orchestra" in the entire city of Omaha.

Weirdly enough, the Omaha area is actually doing pretty well during this economic down time. No recent cuts in any school programs here. In fact, most schools are doing quite the opposite.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:49 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,145,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Because my daughter was a student there, I happen to know that Omaha North High School - a school many white parents don't want their kids to go to because it's "ghetto" - has the ONLY "Honors Orchestra" in the entire city of Omaha.
Yay!

Quote:
Weirdly enough, the Omaha area is actually doing pretty well during this economic down time. No recent cuts in any school programs here. In fact, most schools are doing quite the opposite.
That's outstanding!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:48 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,012,285 times
As an artist I feel it's imperative as part of public and private education to expose kids to ALL forms of the arts. Whether a pupil follows through to become a flutist or a steel guitar player is only partly as important as the mentall stimulation afforded by creative thought. There are mathematics and logistics hiding in classical music instruction just as there are in Jazz. But the medium is useless until it is presented to those budding little minds. all colors of minds.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:28 PM

487 posts, read 636,260 times
Because its not hip hop.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:42 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
As an artist I feel it's imperative as part of public and private education to expose kids to ALL forms of the arts. Whether a pupil follows through to become a flutist or a steel guitar player is only partly as important as the mentall stimulation afforded by creative thought. There are mathematics and logistics hiding in classical music instruction just as there are in Jazz. But the medium is useless until it is presented to those budding little minds. all colors of minds.
Exactly. Both of my sons were professional musicians, and one still is. Our daughter was an all-state cellist.

I suppose there are some genres of music that don't require much thinking or counting, etc. But for the most part, it has been repeatedly shown that playing musical instruments - particularly in organized & disciplined groups - is extremely good for the mind.

Even so, it's unfortunate that so many parents see no value in this.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I suppose there are some genres of music that don't require much thinking or counting, etc.
What genre of music would that be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates