Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 08:02 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,200,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So... Is the gang & drug violence a race problem in parts of North Omaha, or is it something else? And if it's something else, why do some blacks always scream about "racial profiling" when there's a major law enforcement crack-down that results in the arrests of a large number of black males?

It's not as simple as just race...
I do not think you gave enough information for there to be comprehensive answers to your questions. Or, it just could be that I am not familiar with Omaha, and the social dynamics of that city.

From what you described, it sounds like the gang-related activity is SES related. When you state that large numbers of Black males are arrested, is this only in North Omaha, or in Omaha more generally? And, are all of these arrests gang-related? Also, it still would be helpful to know more about the social dynamics of Omaha. These questions are too difficult to answer without putting them into a proper context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 08:11 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,716,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
I do not think you gave enough information for there to be comprehensive answers to your questions. Or, it just could be that I am not familiar with Omaha, and the social dynamics of that city.

From what you described, it sounds like the gang-related activity is SES related. When you state that large numbers of Black males are arrested, is this only in North Omaha, or in Omaha more generally? And, are all of these arrests gang-related? Also, it still would be helpful to know more about the social dynamics of Omaha. These questions are too difficult to answer without putting them into a proper context.
It's North Omaha (or a relatively small part of North O). And I'm speaking of gang & drug related arrests in that area, that is predominantly black, and is probably the lowest economic area of the city.

And like I already said, there are a lot of people who understand it. But there are still people - blacks - who will always blame the cops, or cite racial profiling or flagrant racism, as the reason these young black men are being arrested.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:38 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,593,257 times
Quote:
What a stupid & over exagerated misleading post. LMOA!Is everything you say both inflammatory and ignorant?

From 1945 to 2004, 22% of serial killers in America were black.
Do you have a source for that?

On the sexism thing I have actually seen women offended when I mention that spree-killers or serial-killers are rarely women. I think they think I'm patronizing them or something, but it's just the stats. Murder in general is mostly male.

The series Homicide: Life on the Street was the rare case of a show being honest on that. The woman, Kay Howard, stated that "murderers tend to be men and their victims tend to be men." The Bureau of Justice Statistics bears that out and indicates that 65.3% of homicides are male-offender/male-victim. Female-offender/Female-victim is the rarest gender combination.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Gender (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/gender.htm - broken link)

There is no form of murder that's majority female. The most "female" forms are infanticide, poison, and arson.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:40 PM

481 posts, read 945,187 times
Quote:
You're right. Race is not the issue.

But here's the problem: Too many people make it THE issue, and use racism as an excuse for their own behavior.

I live in North Omaha - a black part of the city. Virtually all my neighbors are black (And, by the way, they are absolutely FANTASTIC people. I couldn't be happier!). But in the poorer part of North Omaha - which is also primarily black - there are some serious problems with gangs, drugs and violence. Virtually all the young people involved are black.

So... Is the gang & drug violence a race problem in parts of North Omaha, or is it something else? And if it's something else, why do some blacks always scream about "racial profiling" when there's a major law enforcement crack-down that results in the arrests of a large number of black males?

It's not as simple as just race...
Hmmm, I think it would take me too long to go into the historical connection between race, class, and violence in America. And I think you are confusing situations. The examples you gave where not real examples, they were hypotheticals that you asked me what would be MY response or what I thought SHOULD happen. I'm not talking about real crimes that take place where the person happens to be Black or Mexican.

The situations I am talking about are the times like when a young unarmed African student by the name of Amadou Dialo is mistake for someone else by police, and who say they thought he waspulling out a gun but all he had was a wallet so they shoot him 40+ times. I'm talking about young men, liek the ones in my class, who share stories of driving around Charlottesville, VA at night and get pulled over and the police ask for their license and where they are going and then let them on there way. I'm talking about the Balck and Middle Eastern men who I see getting searched at the airport in way higher proportions then anyone else. I'm talking about crazy Sheriff Joe here in Maricopa who loves rounding up "Mexican-looking" people to check for papers. I'm talking about me having a strange Spanish last name and how that had gotten me placed straight into ESL when I was younger (even though I hardly spoke Spanish).

Those are the kind fo things I am talking about. The millions of instances that color is the ONLY factor for sh*t to happen to people. The covert crap that people have to take cause you really can't prove it, but you know it is real.

You ahve the priviledge to not have to deal with it. But just because it is not your reality, doesn't make it any less real.

I wonder, has your mother, wife, daughter ever experienced sexism?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:43 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,716,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Do you have a source for that?

On the sexism thing I have actually seen women offended when I mention that spree-killers or serial-killers are rarely women. I think they think I'm patronizing them or something, but it's just the stats. Murder in general is mostly male.

The series Homicide: Life on the Street was the rare case of a show being honest on that. The woman, Kay Howard, stated that "murderers tend to be men and their victims tend to be men." The Bureau of Justice Statistics bears that out and indicates that 65.3% of homicides are male-offender/male-victim. Female-offender/Female-victim is the rarest gender combination.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Gender (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/gender.htm - broken link)

There is no form of murder that's majority female. The most "female" forms are infanticide, poison, and arson.
Criminality, Race, and Why Most Serial Killers Are White Males

It's an obscure and rather quirky paper - and is based on some information that's pretty dry.

The bottom line is that criminals come in all shapes, genders, colors and races. So it's not as simple as blaming everything on race - as many people want to do.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:45 PM

458 posts, read 1,357,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I notice a lot of white people point out MJ wanting to be white because he didn't like his skin color.

I notice people talking about a product called Nur76 that apparently some hispanics use to lighten there skin.

I notice people talking about blacks straightening there hair, etc, trying to be white.

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who use spray tans to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who lay out in the sun all day to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the hordes of whites who pay expensive prices for tanning beds to be dark?

Why don't we ever talk about the most popular form of plastic surgery for white females, lip injections, a black facial feature?

Why do only minorities want to be white, when white people do the same thing?
All I would like to say to the "minorities" is being white is not so grand.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
All I would like to say to the "minorities" is being white is not so grand.
Probably not, but it sure has it's priviledges.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:56 PM

458 posts, read 1,357,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Probably not, but it sure has it's priviledges.
How so?

Old 07-11-2009, 09:04 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,932,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Hmmm, I think it would take me too long to go into the historical connection between race, class, and violence in America. And I think you are confusing situations. The examples you gave where not real examples, they were hypotheticals that you asked me what would be MY response or what I thought SHOULD happen. I'm not talking about real crimes that take place where the person happens to be Black or Mexican.

The situations I am talking about are the times like when a young unarmed African student by the name of Amadou Dialo is mistake for someone else by police, and who say they thought he waspulling out a gun but all he had was a wallet so they shoot him 40+ times. I'm talking about young men, liek the ones in my class, who share stories of driving around Charlottesville, VA at night and get pulled over and the police ask for their license and where they are going and then let them on there way. I'm talking about the Balck and Middle Eastern men who I see getting searched at the airport in way higher proportions then anyone else. I'm talking about crazy Sheriff Joe here in Maricopa who loves rounding up "Mexican-looking" people to check for papers. I'm talking about me having a strange Spanish last name and how that had gotten me placed straight into ESL when I was younger (even though I hardly spoke Spanish).

Those are the kind fo things I am talking about. The millions of instances that color is the ONLY factor for sh*t to happen to people. The covert crap that people have to take cause you really can't prove it, but you know it is real.

You ahve the priviledge to not have to deal with it. But just because it is not your reality, doesn't make it any less real.

I wonder, has your mother, wife, daughter ever experienced sexism?
Hilarious video of Michael Moore berating the cops for all the black people white cops have killed for suspecting a gun. One guy had a wallet, one had a remote control, one had a candy bar, one had a hair clip, one had a spatula, one had house keys.

what does a phone look like in a white guys hand? a phone
what does it look like in a black guys hand? an ak47.

YouTube - Michael Moore- The Awful Truth

you ask ammadou diallo what happens when youre black outside and grab your wallet.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:06 PM

Read Peggy MacIntosh's "Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack". She does a great job of explaining the concept of White Priviledge. I'll try and find it online because all I have is a hardcopy. But just by definition, those in the majority (and I am talking about majority as a power concept not just numbers) are going to have priviledges that those in the minority don't have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates