Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:33 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times

Advertisements

A touchy subject to be sure.

The issue was brought up on another thread - and it caused some off topic discussion.

There are several European countries that do not prosecute Incest between Consenting Adults - and another is considering adopting the same concepts.

We know a couple who moved here to Arizona some years ago from another state - they became my client and our friends -

The man originally married when he was 18 to his High School sweetheart. By the time he was 20, they had a daughter. Around the time he was 40 or so, his wife died of cancer - and he was devastated - as was the daughter.

Anyway, the daughter went off to college. Attended for 2 years. One summer when she was home, something just .... "happened". She and her father had a .... "thing" (that's how they describe it). And they have been together ever since.

I first met them when the daughter wanted to do a legal change of name - so as to prevent anyone from accusing them of anything wrong.

They live together as husband and wife (she is absolutely drop dead gorgeous!!!!). They are absolutely 1000% committed to one another. They enjoy with a passion the very same things (they do motorcycle rides with us and go camping etc).

He had a vasectomy. She had a tubal ligation. Each on their own - voluntarily. There will be no kids here.

Are they hurting anyone? No. Yet, society will condemn them (if society found out).

Why should that be?

Anyone got some thoughts on this topic?

Old 03-22-2009, 04:35 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Good lord. I was about to start this EXACT same thread myself!

Anyway - as far as parent/child goes? Yes. As far as other familial relationships? I'll have to ponder that one.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:44 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times
Are they hurting anyone? I guess not if they chose not to procreate, IMO. In this particular case, it appears consensual. How does the law work as it applies to non-citizens (if they are) and when it is legal in their country of citizenship?

Old 03-22-2009, 04:46 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
I think the father is sick between the ears and maybe a good form of punishment would be to chop off his ears!

Old 03-22-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Are they hurting anyone? I guess not if they chose not to procreate, IMO. In this particular case, it appears consensual. How does the law work as it applies to non-citizens (if they are) and when it is legal in their country of citizenship?
United States law would prevail.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I think the father is sick between the ears and maybe a good form of punishment would be to chop off his ears!
May I ask why you feel the father is "sick"?

Old 03-22-2009, 04:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
people do this so much on CDF, they bring up a dirtbag subject and then post ----everybody does it in europe. give me a break. do you think all the posters fell off a turnip truck?

Old 03-22-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
people do this so much on CDF, they bring up a dirtbag subject and then post ----everybody does it in europe. give me a break. do you think all the posters fell off a turnip truck?
First off, I personally do not feel this is a "dirt bag" subject.

And, it was not suggested, as you asserted, that "everyone in Europe" does this.

The issue however is, why do we prosecute CONSENTING ADULTS for a sexual relationship merely because they are closely related?

Seriously, with one possible exception, what harm is there in these types of relationships?

Old 03-22-2009, 04:56 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
My issue is that I do not feel a child (even an adult child) is capable of actually "consenting" to sex with a parent. So parent/child...no.

I think the whole thing is sick...but would be willing to allow OTHER consensual incest provided that they are incapable of having children (or have whatever surgery is necessary to make them incapable). Once we get down the line to the point of second cousins, possibly even first cousins, I'd say it should be legal without this condition being met.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:00 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
It is impossible for me to conceive how a parent can be sexually attracted to his/her own child. And vice-versa, let me add. When I first learned about incest, all I could do was think of my dad and my brothers, and the very thought made me nauseous. It almost still does. No way in hell.

I can see other problems with this if the laws ever laxed, and that involves children. I can also see more babies from it. And I am so anti-population growth it isn't funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates