Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:12 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
how have i misrepresented you. i dont follow you at all. if it is currently illegal and you are advocating to not criminally prosecute is this not making the act legal?
i know of no country or medical professional that condons incest.
i do not understand your advocacy for the repeal of the law.
again i do not believe that you are married to a "shrink" that supports your advocate position or encourages you to discuss in any way her cases on CDF.
Incest is wrong for so many reasons -- if it is adults, consensual, no children--then the government should not criminalize it.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:14 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't think the general public would ever accept removing parent/child incest laws from the books.
Incest is not merely between parent and child. Nor do laws make that distinction. Laws do define the relationship that equate to incest.

No one is suggesting taking the laws "from the books". The question raised is, should the crime of incest between consenting ADULTS be prosecuted - should the parties be thrown in jail for something they did consensually -

Perhaps you have misunderstood the question raised here.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:20 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Incest is not merely between parent and child. Nor do laws make that distinction. Laws do define the relationship that equate to incest.

No one is suggesting taking the laws "from the books". The question raised is, should the crime of incest between consenting ADULTS be prosecuted - should the parties be thrown in jail for something they did consensually -

I understand the question - you are asking whether it should be prosecuted. But I think most people are interpreting it to mean whether it should be legal. Quite frankly, to me, it's the same question because I don't feel we should have laws on the books that people can violate freely without fear of prosecution.

If something isn't going to be prosecuted, IMO, it should be made legal (I'd like to see criminal adultery laws, etc. removed from the books entirely in the states where they still exist).

A better question (and I'm not trying to offend you) would have been should it be legal. No one's going to come on here and say it should be illegal but not prosecuted. That's ludicrous.

As far as the distinction between parent/child and other relationships, I understand they are all considered incest right now. MY specific OPINION is that parent/child should be banned (and prosecuted) in all cases which is what I was trying to stress. As far as the other relationships, I think it is terribly sick and wrong but should NOT be illegal as long as they are not capable of having children (or have the necessary surgeries to make them incapable).

Old 03-22-2009, 07:20 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times
Quote:

I always thought that freedom meant "ok to do anything as long as others are not hurt" I'm finding out that I was wrong.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:21 PM

11 posts, read 36,356 times
Default Wrong on so many levels

Old 03-22-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
how have i misrepresented you. i dont follow you at all. if it is currently illegal and you are advocating to not criminally prosecute is this not making the act legal?
i know of no country or medical professional that condons incest.
again i do not believe that you are married to a "shrink" that supports your advocate position or encourages you to discuss in any way her cases on CDF.
I am married to a Physican - a "shrink" - and have been for a very long time.

Let me try this analogy: Is smoking dope illegal? In many jurisdictions it is - it can land you in jail for many years. Some jurisdictions however have taken the position that you should not be in jail for smoking a joint - get caught - you get a civil summons - a "parking ticket" if you will. No jail. No criminal record.

Is the law still on the books? Yep - sure is. It is still against the law.

You made a statement that is an example of how you misrepresent my statements: You said, and I will use your own words:

That is a total misrepresentation of what I have said - at no time have I EVER advocated "repealing the law" on incest. I defy you to find any such suggestion or statement. I have asked if Consenting Adults should be CRIMINALLY PROSECUTED - thrown in jail, for having consensual sex even though they are related. My question does not equate to "repealing the law" - not in the least.

I have cited three countries: France, Spain and Portugal (and soon Romania) who although there are laws against Incest - do not prosecute the crime of Incest.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding you may have had.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:24 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
And, I can appreciate your feelings. But, that is not the question posed here:

The question posed is, should we, as a nation, criminally prosecute incest involving CONSENTING ADULTS?
And my answer would be YES.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I understand the question - you are asking whether it should be prosecuted. But I think most people are interpreting it to mean whether it should be legal. Quite frankly, to me, it's the same question because I don't feel we should have laws on the books that people can violate freely without fear of prosecution. .
Smoking Dope is the best example I can give you of this - it is against the law - but they do not prosecute it (in some jurisdictions)

Old 03-22-2009, 07:26 PM

706 posts, read 3,762,817 times
Quote:
A touchy subject to be sure.

The man originally married when he was 18 to his High School sweetheart. By the time he was 20, they had a daughter. Around the time he was 40 or so, his wife died of cancer - and he was devastated - as was the daughter.

Anyway, the daughter went off to college. Attended for 2 years. One summer when she was home, something just .... "happened". She and her father had a .... "thing" (that's how they describe it). And they have been together ever since.

They live together as husband and wife (she is absolutely drop dead gorgeous!!!!). They are absolutely 1000% committed to one another. They enjoy with a passion the very same things (they do motorcycle rides with us and go camping etc).

He had a vasectomy. She had a tubal ligation. Each on their own - voluntarily. There will be no kids here.
How the hell can a father want to replace a wife with his daughter?

How can a father want to have sex, or be physically/sexually attracted to his daughter?
And if he does, how could he actually go through with it instead of getting the help his sick azz needs?

From a psychological standpoint the father is a very sick, slick, manipulator.
And the daughter may be as well, but he's the FATHER.
Just a nasty animal, and his behavior is the highest level of disrepect to both his wife and his daughter.

That is sick, disgusting and demented.

And I'm not even a judgemental person, but that takes the f*^%cking cake.

Last edited by DonnaReed; 03-22-2009 at 07:38 PM..

Old 03-22-2009, 07:27 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Smoking Dope is the best example I can give you of this - it is against the law - but they do not prosecute it (in some jurisdictions)
OK. I understand what you are asking. But, as far as I'm concerned, I think that most people would have the same answer to both questions (whether it should be legal, whether it should be prosecuted). You are making it more confusing. It would have been a much better question IMO to ask whether we think it should be legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates