Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Until 1938, there were only children and adults.
Most children became employed full time at some point between
9-14 and expected to contribute their earning to their family's welfare. Full time, back then meant 12-16 hour work days/ 6 days a week.

There were so few jobs to be had during the Great Depression that The Fair Labor Act was passed in 1938, limiting child labor, so that adults could be employed.

And thus began the concept of a span of time between childhood and adulthood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 02:37 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I agree. Back when I graduated from high school, I don't recall any of my classmates just staying home, or going to college just because that's what everybody did after high school. A lot of them went to work in factories, garages, etc., and got married. Some went to college, but went for a purpose, not for further socialization. Not many of them went to college on their parent's dime either. They applied for everything available, but also worked their way through. We were 18 and for the most part, prepared to face responsibilities of life.

Can't really say that farming them out would be more effective though.
Most people pay for their college education. Nostalgia is a nice drug. Nowdays, being saddled with 30k+ in debt is normal. Not so a generation or two ago. If a few generations ago you were told a studio apartment is 900-2k a month, you would laugh. At 900 a month, that's a good deal in the many parts of the nation (I live in CA.). People who go to college do not go for only further socialization.

Nostalgia is a drug. It does not show the complex shadows and undertones of the past. Rather it causes people to distort the past into a utopian euphoric dream.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:48 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I agree. Back when I graduated from high school, I don't recall any of my classmates just staying home, or going to college just because that's what everybody did after high school. A lot of them went to work in factories, garages, etc., and got married. Some went to college, but went for a purpose, not for further socialization. Not many of them went to college on their parent's dime either. They applied for everything available, but also worked their way through. We were 18 and for the most part, prepared to face responsibilities of life.

Can't really say that farming them out would be more effective though.
Socialization is only a product of the underlaying need for a college education. Today's Bachelors is what your high school diploma was. You can't make a very good go of it with a 12th Grade education anymore.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:50 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
When my daughter was a teen, I recognized that she needed to learn how to make her own decisions and live with the consequences of poor ones. As such, we gave her increasingly more leeway in making her own choices. We gave her our opinions, but let her make most of the final decisions as she got older. I wanted her to be independant minded and be able to reason & think her way thru life. In fact, I specifically told her to live her life with respect to all, and live it without regrets as in the end we all have to live with ourselves.

I didn't want her mind controlled like the democrats do (HA! That one was just for you golfgod- just couldn't resist).
Thank you for not coddling your daughter.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:30 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I just got through 10 incredibly long taxing teen years. I'm so glad it's over. What I did learn in the process, between wanting to slam my head in the fridge, was that they are our babies....but not our property. They are individuals...not extensions of ourselves. And at the end of the day, they need to know that even when they stumble and fall, and they will, we will be there to lift them back up and respect them regardless.

A couple of years ago when my daughter got pregnant just before her 17th birthday, I was just devastated. Some time after the baby was born, I was telling her in tears how sorry I was that she ended up missing so much in terms of proms and following her dreams. When she told me that she hadn't missed anything that the joy of her son didn't make up for....I realized I had only been sad for myself. She was totally fine with it. I realized she was a young mom....but not less of a mom.

I think any parent, especially of a girl, has this great fear of the unwanted pregnancy. I can truly say after facing the fear and having to deal with it... that it just isn't the end of the world. Life goes on. Now, I can't even imagine life without my grandson in it. He is just a joy.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:16 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
Blazer Prophet asked me;
Quote:
BTW, are you a left handed golfer?
No, I'm actually kind of psychotic on which side I do stuff from. I'm a natural left hander, but I only eat and write leftie now. I could bat from either side (pretty effectively too) but couldn't throw a ball through an open (even a garage) door leftie. I can shoot a rifle or shotgun pretty well either side.

Now that warm weather is here I'm trying to get my handicap back down to 10.

As far as farming teens out. When I was 18 I got "farmed out" to a moderately sadistic Drill Instructor. I did learn some "independant living" skills, some of which proved very useful in later life. The marching, shooting and such I haven't used much since my military life. The scrubbing, mopping and floor buffing I already knew. The getting along with others, group effort and learning NOT to use the "impolite" words you sometimes heard and USED at home, because it might get your a** kicked, have been of immeasurable value.

golfgod

Old 03-06-2009, 09:39 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
All is not lost with the kids/teens were are raising but damn a lot is lost. I'm a fairly young mom, but have the sense about me to know what right and/or wrong. I teach my kids accordingly! I know I'm doing my job, because when ever my boys are out with friends without me, I always get the "the boys are so well behaved story" - that is only because before they left the house I THREATENED them with certain death (exaggerating) if, they didn't act like they were raised by me rather drug up by the nape of there neck. Somewhat off topic, but still falls into what we are speaking of. Society as a whole IMHO has become far too tolerant of things that are just not acceptable. Ex., when ordering at a drive thru, the person listening to the order should always say thank you, if someone is walking directly behind you and you open the door and don't feel like letting them enter first be curteous enoug to at least hold the door a bit open for them, don't rush to get out of the door that someone is walking through that clearly could use the helping hand of holding it open, etc.

I think gone are the days where people walk little old people across the street or the like. I think really it is a sad fact.

Have you ever tried to have a conversation with these kids/teens? Sometimes, I think are you speakin a new dialect of English that I haven't yet been a party to.

Don't get me wrong as I said, I'm a young mom and often listen to Hip/Hop. It was the Era I grew up in. I spoke all the slang still can, but what I had that most kids these days don't have, was enough common sense to know that I shouldn't be saying "wut up dawg" on an interview. Parents really need to take back control of their kids and do the right thing. Obviously, this is not all parents - we don't all send our kids to school to get raised. My kids despise the fact that I make them speak grammatically correct in the house. I feel like "hey, you have a whole life time to speak bad, learn the language the way it was intended to be spoken first". My methods could be wrong, but this is how I see it.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:40 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Default How should Teens be raised?

By the scruff of the neck.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:30 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Most people pay for their college education. Nostalgia is a nice drug. Nowdays, being saddled with 30k+ in debt is normal. Not so a generation or two ago. If a few generations ago you were told a studio apartment is 900-2k a month, you would laugh. At 900 a month, that's a good deal in the many parts of the nation (I live in CA.). People who go to college do not go for only further socialization.

Nostalgia is a drug. It does not show the complex shadows and undertones of the past. Rather it causes people to distort the past into a utopian euphoric dream.
Dream, that's funny. When I graduated from high school, I got married and went to work. No drug or dream involved. Just reality. I didn't go to college until much later.

Nowdays, being saddled with 30k+ in debt is a great incentive to take care of business and get to work then, isn't it. Whatever the cost of living is, it has to be paid. Remember, the wage to cost ratio back then was pretty much the same as it is now.

Dream, funny. Kids just aren't raised to stand on their own at 18 anymore.

Must be we just live in different parts of the country.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post

In the early 1900's the median average of education level in the U.S. was 6.1 years. Most children began working full time, out of necessity, somewhere between 9-13 years. They were expected to contribute their earnings to their family's welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates