Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 09:59 PM

77 posts, read 228,326 times

Advertisements

I would like to know your views on teen drug use due to suburban enviornment. I live in an affluent north chicago suburb. alot of parents move to the suburbs when they have kids to be AWAY from crime, drugs, and such. However where I live a very high percentage of kids are into drugs/alchohol abuse. TIME Mag did an article about our school some years back called "High Times at New Trier High" saying that more than 60% of kids used drugs. Now i belive around a third of the kids do drugs (according to my schools statistics). I believe that do to the lack of exiting/cultural activities (in the eyes of most teens )or their distance from the activities (normally in the city) they are more likely to use drugs due to their bordom, their disposable income (in a good number of cases) and in the case of rigorus school districts high stress. What are your opinions. Do you know if there is a higher drug use among city teenagers (both wealthy and poor).

Old 01-10-2010, 11:18 PM

102 posts, read 310,384 times
I've lived in affluent areas as well as poor areas. In my own experience, wealthy suburban teens do way more drugs than kids in the hood. But they do drugs for fun, as opposed to poor kids who do them for therapeutic reasons.

I'd say a combination of allowance money, boredom, and knowing that mommy and daddy will bail them out if they get into trouble are the cause of this. However, they seem to get it out of their system before they graduate college.

Kids in the hood, in my experience, don't get heavily into drugs until they are older and have the money.

Once again, this is just my personal experience.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:21 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
American teens from all over do drugs, doesn't matter if they're rich or poor, private school or public. Same with underage drinking.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:21 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
I always thought Suburban kids did more drugs, in NYC a lot of kids are into weed (I don't really consider weed a drug) but I think that's about it, them suburban kids be on rocks, needles, pills, etc. which is extreme. I think city kids (rich, middle, & poor) do it for fun while suburban kids tend to be depressed and/or crazy, that just my experience though.

1/3rd of kids doing drugs is a lot, I don't think it's anywhere near that high at my school (which is a bad school lol).

Old 01-10-2010, 11:44 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,314,617 times
lmao, You'll see more suburban(ussually white) kids in to hard drugs. Not aying they all do but it more common among them . Kids in the hood or from there if they do drugs its more likely to be weed and i guess drinking.
Kinda off topic but I remember one of the high schools i went to you would see the wealthier kids born n raised in suburbia getting the drugs from some not so rich kids who just moved from the city but lived in a different part of town. They did it right in the bathrooms and even in the hall during passing period. Other than sports unfortunately drugs were just another way of, well, "bridging the gap"

-mas23-

Old 01-10-2010, 11:48 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
it's really everywhere. Even in my small Bible Belt town, there was a drug bust at school, 30 students were arrested in one day.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:03 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,971 times
If anything I would say that someone in the suburbs is more sheltered from the effects of the drugs unlike the kids in the ghettos of the cities. The kids in the cities see every minute the effects of the drugs and violence while these things are much less noticable in the suburbs.

Not sure about rates of use city vs. suburb but either way, drugs seem to be worse than ever anywhere you go in America right now

Old 01-11-2010, 01:22 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Club drugs, yes....... but definitley not heroin. The junkies and heroin addicts are far, far more common in urban areas.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:31 AM

102 posts, read 310,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Club drugs, yes....... but definitley not heroin. The junkies and heroin addicts are far, far more common in urban areas.
Maybe not heroin, but prescription pills (i.e. Oxycontin)

Old 01-11-2010, 06:37 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
As a 17 year old senior in High school living in Hackensack (Crackensack )... I can tell you that whether you're white, black, latino, asian, rich, poor, or a loner, drugs are global.

There's areas a couple blocks from my school where drug dealers are always trying to make a buck during lunch hours when the students go out to eat at the nearby corner store or pizzeria. (it's mostly weed though)

I don't really hear too much about any other drugs, but Ecstasy has been popular for a while now. I'm not sure where the kids are getting it, but they're usually the rich (upper middle class) white kids who are messing around with that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.