Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 01:00 PM

268 posts, read 1,052,153 times

Advertisements

The recent crash of Flight 3407:

Buffalo News: Continental Flight 3407 Crashed | Ub News (http://ub-news.com/news/buffalo-news-continental-flight-3407-crashed/778.html - broken link)

has caught the attention of the Phelp's hate group:

Fringe group to picket local church services : Northern Suburbs : The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/northernsuburbs/story/584792.html - broken link)

now an Angel Action is being planned as a counter to this group:

This is a Time of Mourning | Regional | Buffalo Rising

and also by University of Buffalo members:

Westboro Church Counter Protest: The Plan | WNYMedia.net - Buffalo News, Sports, Politics, Life (http://wnymedia.net/blogs/2009/02/westboro-church-counter-protest/ - broken link)

I do not think that the actions taken by the Phelp's group as being hateful and even Un-Christian is open for debate. So that is not the topic of this post.

However, as you will note from the Buffalo.rising comments, there is a debate on what is the proper course of action against such hate groups. There are people who advocate ignoring these people on the premise that media attention just fuels/feeds these hateful people. There are those - like me- who think that ignoring them is not working because the media will be there anyway, and that a quiet action, centered on allowing the people of Buffalo to mourn, by blocking the view of the mourners from seeing these hateful people is appropriate. There are those who would prefer "taking out" these people before they get to the protest site.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,592,924 times
I see these people as a milder, domestic version of The Taliban. A vexing problem because any confrontation would probably only serve to inflame them, making the even MORE determined to "do the Lord's work, DESPITE the fact they were unpopular"..(i.e., The 'more we're hated, the better we're doing').

I would think SOME law could be applied to keep these folks from desecrating a funeral....but exactly how to do this, or which law to apply, I can't imagine.

Didn't these same delightful people last year show up to spoil the funerals of several deceased servicemen? Seems like there was a group of 'motorcyle types' who volunteered to show up and 'block' the wackos from contact with the mourners...but I don't know how successful this was, or the 'legal ins and outs' of such an effort...

Old 02-21-2009, 08:56 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,262,337 times
I have no idea what to do with these hate groups. If a funeral of one on my family member's was being protested by the crap that is the phelps, I might wind up in jail.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:58 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,119,454 times
I grewup in the 60's and this was pretty SOP behavior then. I no longer support any groups that protests now days. They use to meet soldiers at airports and spit on them as they arrived home. Just a sign of the time and best if they would be ignore and arested when they get out of hand. Shame is most are let go without fines afterwards.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:11 AM

16,292 posts, read 28,613,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I have no idea what to do with these hate groups. If a funeral of one on my family member's was being protested by the crap that is the phelps, I might wind up in jail.
I do, but they ain't worth spending the rest of my life in jail for.

And if I was on your jury, you would get a 'not guilty' vote from me, even if they showed footage from 3 news crews of exactly what you did. I would be demanding you receive a medal, or at least a certificate for beautification of America.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:22 PM

3,645 posts, read 9,234,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwynn View Post
However, as you will note from the Buffalo.rising comments, there is a debate on what is the proper course of action against such hate groups. There are people who advocate ignoring these people on the premise that media attention just fuels/feeds these hateful people. There are those - like me- who think that ignoring them is not working because the media will be there anyway, and that a quiet action, centered on allowing the people of Buffalo to mourn, by blocking the view of the mourners from seeing these hateful people is appropriate. There are those who would prefer "taking out" these people before they get to the protest site.

What do you think?
I like the last idea.

OK maybe that's just a tad extreme (albeit tempting) - but the proliferation of such people - ie who's obnoxiousness and inconsidertion is surpassed only by their severe stupidity - in this country is largely because they are "toleratated" to an absurd and counter-productive degree. They're like spoiled kids. The more you let them get away with, the farther they'll go. Really we as a society are as much to blame (as the "permissive parent" so to speak) as the morons are.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:24 PM

3,645 posts, read 9,234,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Give me a call; I'll happily provide you an alibi and swear to it in court.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:31 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,262,337 times
lol Geeze guys.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:53 PM

23,681 posts, read 70,810,948 times
The logical consequence of such actions is for a member of a bereaved family eventually to be distraught enough to be considered temporarily insane, be confronted by them, and take out the protesters (I don't mean to Ihop.) No jury in the land would convict.

The "motorcycle types" that stop them from protesting near military funerals are the Patriot Guard, IIRC, and I salute them. Last I heard, the primary attempts were to bankrupt the church and protesters with lawsuits.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:29 PM

268 posts, read 1,052,153 times
Just so people know what happened in Buffalo:

Counterdemonstrators overshadow Kansas fringe group : City & Region : The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/587487.html - broken link)

. . . narrowly missed getting my picture in the paper, I was just a foot or so to the left
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates