Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 09:03 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,854,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Cleopatra killed her two Brothers and Sister during her reign so she could hold onto her power.

In like reading old European history, and once you get behind the male figureheads and wars, you will usually find women behind the scenes plotting and scheming to get the men into their lives into power, or out of power depending on the objectives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Misogyny isn't even required to oppress women. Men have established institutions, like religions, educational inequities, and glass ceilings to do the job for them for 2+ millennia.
I'm more inclined to agree with danielsa here. Most of history in most of the world, average women had no rights but average men had essentilly no rights either. A bigger pool of men had some paltry degree of rights, but those rights were mostly based on might.

You will see women pulling strings quite a bit in history, even leading armies and waging wars. It's not as common as men, but men also go slaughtered more often for every reason under the sun. Even in the medieval Islamic world of all places, there are some caes where women were excercising national influence over the kings. If you aren't familiar, read up a bit on Nur Jahan for an interesting example of this.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:24 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What evidence is there that the great majority of women have been hated by societies throughout human history? How could men and women fall in love, get married, raise children and have a society function if women have been universally hated?

This seems to be a figment of some wild imaginations.
Honestly, you are not paying attention. Start by reading some of the posts in this thread. Then find some Wikipedia entries about the subject.

Women only got the right to vote in 1920. And it was only after decades of campaigning that they did finally achieve this. There was tremendous pressure against granting women this basic right.

Right now Brittany Spears, who has the misfortune of having had a mental health breakdown in public, has had her right to manage her affairs legally taken away. She has enriched her father, while being forced to do his bidding. She has testified that she wished to have another child, but she was told she had to keep performing. People who have bi polar disorder and who are female, still do have basic human rights—supposedly.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:29 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Honestly, you are not paying attention. Start by reading some of the posts in this thread. Then find some Wikipedia entries about the subject.

Women only got the right to vote in 1920. And it was only after decades of campaigning that they did finally achieve this. There was tremendous pressure against granting women this basic right.

Right now Brittany Spears, who has the misfortune of having had a mental health breakdown in public, has had her right to manage her affairs legally taken away. She has enriched her father, while being forced to do his bidding. She has testified that she wished to have another child, but she was told she had to keep performing. People who have bi polar disorder and who are female, still do have basic human rights—supposedly.
Plus why is he talking about “falling in love and getting married” like it is a thing that has happened throughout history. Love marriages only started to gain traction in some societies 250 years ago, and in others it is still common to have arranged marriage. Even with early love marriage in western society, if the finances weren’t right between the two parties, the marriage would likely not happen.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:50 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Another contributing cause is the depiction of women on TV. Wives are shown as volatile, emotionally abusive, never-happy shrews. Groups of women friends on an outing together are shown as catty with each other, and as snooty with most men they meet. It's rare to see a sitcom where a wife acts sweet and affectionate other than as a transactional reward for a romantic gesture on the husband's part.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:11 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
I just read an article about a 17 year old girl who was beaten and hanged by her own family in a village in India. Her crime: wearing blue jeans.

This sort of thing happens all the time in third world countries, and some people who emigrate to the West, including the United States, bring those traditions with them. Misogyny is real.

What causes misogyny? Lack of education, rejection of Enlightenment values, and fear of Western culture where men and women are equal.

How to fix it? It will not be fixed, at least not outside of Western influence. As an example: We are withdrawing troops from Afghanistan and leaving a power vacuum. Perhaps communist China will fill the void but I suspect they have no interest in women's rights.

Last edited by jtab4994; 07-28-2021 at 12:23 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 01:30 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
There's a lot of subtle misogyny out there, too; sometimes it's mistakenly characterized as respect.

For instance, a man holding the door open for a woman is often called respect or tradition, but it comes from the idea that women are weaker. I used to work for a guy who told me he would race ahead to open the door just to make the woman feel she has to hurry.

Some men (especially older ones) think calling a woman "dear" is appropriate (no, it's condescending, which means he thinks he's better than she is) or call an older woman "young lady", which implies that being an old female is bad.

Some TV shows are hotbeds of misogynist activity. All the female characters are young, hot, dressed in revealing outfits, and only react to the men, who are often older and less appealing, but get better lines and characters.

The Bechdel test is a measure of the representation of women in fiction. It asks whether a work features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man. Keep it in mind when watching a movie or TV, or even reading a book.
It's not the ideal measurement of respect for women, but it's a place to start.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:14 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,854,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
There's a lot of subtle misogyny out there, too; sometimes it's mistakenly characterized as respect.

For instance, a man holding the door open for a woman is often called respect or tradition, but it comes from the idea that women are weaker. I used to work for a guy who told me he would race ahead to open the door just to make the woman feel she has to hurry.

Some men (especially older ones) think calling a woman "dear" is appropriate (no, it's condescending, which means he thinks he's better than she is) or call an older woman "young lady", which implies that being an old female is bad.

Some TV shows are hotbeds of misogynist activity. All the female characters are young, hot, dressed in revealing outfits, and only react to the men, who are often older and less appealing, but get better lines and characters.

The Bechdel test is a measure of the representation of women in fiction. It asks whether a work features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man. Keep it in mind when watching a movie or TV, or even reading a book.
It's not the ideal measurement of respect for women, but it's a place to start.
Most of this doesn't make sense to me. Holding a door is just common curtersy if someone is walking behind or besides you.. You've never held the door for someone of the same sex?

Women call men 'sweetie', 'honey', 'dear' all the time. That's super common for older women to call men those kind of names and it's not seen as sexualizing the person. My grandma liked to be called 'young lady' until she passed in her late 80s. Would it be better to say old lady, that sounds more rude to me..

TV shoews are shallow in general. Leading men are usually tall and if not at least exceptionally handsome. Short, chubby, or ugly guys are the comic relief. Big brutish guys are the villains. Petite attractive women are the heroine. That's the way it is because that's what sells, not the other way around.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:35 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I just read an article about a 17 year old girl who was beaten and hanged by her own family in a village in India. Her crime: wearing blue jeans.

This sort of thing happens all the time in third world countries, and some people who emigrate to the West, including the United States, bring those traditions with them. Misogyny is real.

What causes misogyny? Lack of education, rejection of Enlightenment values, and fear of Western culture where men and women are equal.

How to fix it? It will not be fixed, at least not outside of Western influence. As an example: We are withdrawing troops from Afghanistan and leaving a power vacuum. Perhaps communist China will fill the void but I suspect they have no interest in women's rights.
misogyny exists wherever men exist. domestic violence, sexual harassment at work place, anti women rulings happen right her in the USA. we don’t have to go to afghanistan to save women. we can start right here.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Most of this doesn't make sense to me. Holding a door is just common curtersy if someone is walking behind or besides you.. You've never held the door for someone of the same sex?

Women call men 'sweetie', 'honey', 'dear' all the time. That's super common for older women to call men those kind of names and it's not seen as sexualizing the person. My grandma liked to be called 'young lady' until she passed in her late 80s. Would it be better to say old lady, that sounds more rude to me..

TV shoews are shallow in general. Leading men are usually tall and if not at least exceptionally handsome. Short, chubby, or ugly guys are the comic relief. Big brutish guys are the villains. Petite attractive women are the heroine. That's the way it is because that's what sells, not the other way around.
I actually do hold the door for the person behind me. If a guy holds the door for me, I fight down irritation, smile, and hold the door for him, in return. I am irritated by someone holding the door more about the act making me feel old, than feelings about gender, I have to admit.

I do not call men pet names, except for my husband. And in most work environments, you would not hear this. You might however hear a guy calling a female work associate by one of those names.

When people report on their own experiences, it is best to accept that those truly are their experiences. Women would not be complaining about this if they had not experienced it.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:02 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
misogyny exists wherever men exist. domestic violence, sexual harassment at work place, anti women rulings happen right her in the USA. we don’t have to go to afghanistan to save women. we can start right here.
Do you really think we haven't started yet? Please be clear in what you are trying to say.

We cannot stop misogyny if we do not Westernize people all over the world. Sadly, we are giving up on Westernizing even immigrants to our own country, and women will suffer. Millions of illegals are arriving here just in 2021 alone. Will they be taught to reject their misogynistic culture,, obey our laws, and respect women? We have seen what happens in Europe when third world men are allowed into their countries but are permitted to keep their old ways. Women suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.