Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2021, 07:35 AM

14,428 posts, read 14,352,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
I admire your spirit!

This will be a difficult task in a political environment where we can't even pass an infrastructure bill or a agree on a budget proposal. The House, Senate and Executive Branch are all controlled by a single party and they still can't get anything done thanks to Manchin, Sinema, Tester, and other red state Democrats. The Republicans, as you know, will not cooperate at all especially on anything dealing with guns. Things like this are much easier to accomplish at the state level, depending upon the make up of their legislature.

I don't say this to upset anybody or take the fire out of anyone's belly, I'm simply acknowledging the reality in which we live now. People just have to keep making noise and protesting, especially against red states Democrats who won't kill the filibuster.
I don't want to get into this debate other than to say that those who seek social justice for women and minorities would be hurt the most if we did abolish the filibuster.

A republican dominated Congress is likely coming in 2022 if history is any guide. In three years or seven years, we are very likely to have a republican President. Just try to imagine all the harm that that type of Congress and President could do to harm the cause of rights for minorities and women. Dozens of laws could be repealed or enacted that would do indelible harm to these groups.

The filibuster gives our system some stability. A Congress dominated by one party might enact the Affordable Care Act. The next Congress dominated by the other party might repeal that and Medicare as well.

I am somewhat sympathetic to liberal causes. However, I really have seen how some far left groups have gone overboard and are turning off large numbers of Americans who should be sympathetic to causes like police abuse of minorities.

The tables can turn rapidly. Than you will be grateful for the filibuster.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:43 AM

1,702 posts, read 788,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I don't want to get into this debate other than to say that those who seek social justice for women and minorities would be hurt the most if we did abolish the filibuster.

A republican dominated Congress is likely coming in 2022 if history is any guide. In three years or seven years, we are very likely to have a republican President. Just try to imagine all the harm that that type of Congress and President could do to harm the cause of rights for minorities and women. Dozens of laws could be repealed or enacted that would do indelible harm to these groups.

The filibuster gives our system some stability. A Congress dominated by one party might enact the Affordable Care Act. The next Congress dominated by the other party might repeal that and Medicare as well.

I am somewhat sympathetic to liberal causes. However, I really have seen how some far left groups have gone overboard and are turning off large numbers of Americans who should be sympathetic to causes like police abuse of minorities.

The tables can turn rapidly. Than you will be grateful for the filibuster.
All of this is almost certainly true. The pendulum always swings, and Presidents historically lose first the House and then the Senate. I honestly don't have a permanent solution, because if there was one we'd have found it by now.

The only thing I know is that, the wheel which squeaks loudest is the one that gets the oil.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:54 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,355,582 times
Quote:
All of this is almost certainly true. The pendulum always swings, and Presidents historically lose first the House and then the Senate. I honestly don't have a permanent solution, because if there was one we'd have found it by now.

The only thing I know is that, the wheel which squeaks loudest is the one that gets the oil.
Cori Bush shamed a Democratic Administration into finding a way to continue the eviction Moratorium. The way was right their in plain view, so she actually shamed them into opening their eyes.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:00 AM

1,702 posts, read 788,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Cori Bush shamed a Democratic Administration into finding a way to continue the eviction Moratorium. The way was right their in plain view, so she actually shamed them into opening their eyes.
This gives renters more time, which is good!

Keep in mind, the eviction moratorium has already gone before the Supreme Court and been ruled on. We both know what's likely to happen if it is challenged again, and goes before the same SCOTUS.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:22 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,355,582 times
Quote:
This gives renters more time, which is good!

Keep in mind, the eviction moratorium has already gone before the Supreme Court and been ruled on. We both know what's likely to happen if it is challenged again, and goes before the same SCOTUS.
True. But Kavanaugh's support was pretty conditional.

But even with that ruling offering some support, Biden didn't want to spend the political capital to extend it, at least not until he felt heat and feared losing support for infrastructure (from more liberal Democrats) or some other issue he's more in support of or that he feels has more political importance. That's normal politics and deal making, but Cori Bush forced the issue with her actions. I applaud her.

Old 08-06-2021, 11:24 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,091,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Okay, so please explain why for thousands of years women never banded together, beat men and took over? If women are so great and just as capable as men why didn't they just take over? I know women hate to hear it and won't admit it, but there is a reason men always ruled until VERY recently.
Maybe because they were too busy producing babies and taking care of and feeding their families to be making war against men? It's not easy to make war when you have an infant strapped to the front of you suckling at your breasts.

Old 08-07-2021, 01:28 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,513,468 times
Quote:
Actually, I was responding to your quote in which you narrowed the discussion to women as victims of sexual assault or rape. At no point in this conversation or I'm pretty sure anywhere else in my comment history have I downplayed the possibility that men can be victims, in any number of ways including sexual impropriety, at the hands of women or other men.
I understand of course that it was never your intention, however I really think even little things like this make big difference, even if it is totally unintentional, it could easily be interpreted as intentional by those who choose to so.

Old 08-07-2021, 06:53 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,887,423 times
Quote:
Actually, I was responding to your quote in which you narrowed the discussion to women as victims of sexual assault or rape. At no point in this conversation or I'm pretty sure anywhere else in my comment history have I downplayed the possibility that men can be victims, in any number of ways including sexual impropriety, at the hands of women or other men.
I bolded the last bit of your quote because I'm getting the impression that some people may be focusing on the abuse of men by women, in response to perhaps feelings of defensiveness about male abuse of women in the topic of misogyny. I, also, have cited a vile instance of women on a popular talk show who either laughed over a news story about a man's genital mutilation inflicted on him by a woman, or who tolerantly excused those who found the story entertaining.

I haven't yet searched for statistics for men abusing other men in comparison to women abusing men in the same manner, but I somehow suspect that one may find far more examples of stronger men inflicting abuse of all kinds on weaker men, than one may find for women inflicting the same abuse on men in general.

My question is this: Are abusive males interested only in keeping women "in their place," or are they equally interested in keeping other men, deemed to be either physically or socially inferior in some way, "in their place"? Clearly, the term "misogyny" relates only to how women are treated (and I do believe that even other women can be misogynistic). But perhaps misogyny is a facet in a far more encompassing societal problem.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:11 PM

16,053 posts, read 7,074,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
ested in keeping other men, deemed to be either physically or socially inferior in some way, "in their place"? Clearly, the term "misogyny" relates only to how women are treated (and I do believe that even other women can be misogynistic). But perhaps misogyny is a facet in a far more encompassing societal problem. [/font]
That is an interesting thought. hatred of women, as misogyny is defined,can be an encompassing a wider societal problem as women are half the population. Domestic violence is said to breed more domestic violence. Men who are abusive also use children in order to emotionally abuse women. I was in a jury in case where the man accused had kidnapped his two little boys and murdered them in order to get back at their mother. It was so hard to be at the hearing.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:57 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,878,306 times
Quote:
Theoretical debates, on message boards, about the demographic representation of paleolithic hunting parties hundreds of thousands of years ago will do absolutely NOTHING to move forward the agenda for gender, racial, social or economic inequality.
Let's be real: neither will anything else posted on city-data, including your posts.

But these pseudo-anthropological stories are one of the things oppressors use to justify sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. I think it's important to refute them, because there are people who are on the fence, and some of them see those sorts of arguments and think, "huh, that actually does make sense." People tend to fall for pseudo-scientific arguments because they sound rational if you don't have the background knowledge to see how the claims are wrong or nonsensical. A great example is everything about the purported 5G-Covid connection - if you know anything about viruses, or about cell signals, you can see that the claims are absurd, but many people have either incorrect or insufficient information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.