Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 08:32 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,296,896 times

Advertisements

There shouldn't be a maximum age limit. That should be up to the voters to evaluate. However, it should be fair game to assess the mental and physical stamina of older candidates without being accused of ageism.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:35 AM

7,244 posts, read 4,564,459 times
There should be an age limit. More than any other job there is an incentive and conspiracy to make sure that addled people with the right resume get elected.

It isn't like voters can really judge someone's capacity in this media world.

Same for VP.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:13 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,813,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
If only we had some system where the populace could decide on whether or not a candidate is too old.

Like, you know ... voting ...

Oh.

Wait.
LOL and and a rep for you.

Honestly, I think the sweet spot would be around 45 and before 60. Someone in their 70's could be fine one week, and not so much the next week. Nobody is on top of their game at 60. I don't care how smart you are, age takes its toll.

I look at people like McConnell, Pelosi, Biden and Trump as past their prime and time to step aside. Why are all these old people trying to hold on to power?

Old 06-22-2020, 09:22 AM

644 posts, read 308,161 times
Yes! I've been saying this for years. IMO there should be an age limit for running for President, and for Congress too. The country is being run by people with no incentive to make good long-term decisions. Many of them probably won't see the consequences of their government even 15-20 years down the road, or they'll be too senile to care. I cannot believe that there are 300+ millions of people living in the USA, lots of younger candidates to choose from, and yet for the second time in a row we've got two candidates in their 70s squaring off against each other.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:56 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,604,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
[moderator cut]

Just as the minimum age to run for president is 35, should the U.S. state that the maximum age to run for president is age 70 (they cannot turn 70 before the election). If a president turns 70 during their first term, it would make them uneligible to run for second term. Even in good health, 70 + is too old for the stress of the oval office.
Maybe.

But state of health, health practices, family history, and weight have a LOT to do with the effects of age. We've all seen those tests where you enter your health practices in response to questions, and it will give you your physical age, as opposed to your age based on birth date. A person can be 10 years younger than someone else of the same birth date because of his way of life and health status.

This is less applicable at the young age of 35, because the years of bad health habits haven't added up yet.

Ultimately, it's the health (mental and physical), and risks, that are important, rather than the chronological age.

So I'm not sure about this. Maybe, because no matter how much in good health you are, there are still risks associated w/being over 70, and there are still physical & mental effects of chronological age. Someone over 70 just isn't as sharp as someone who is 50 or 55. And because being in office could last 8 years.....

I think back to Ronald Reagan, about him having Alzheimer's in his 2nd term. He didn't run things, of course. The suits in the administration & Repubs in Congress did, and the military. Had we had the 70 rule, that wouldn't have happened.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:04 PM

30,202 posts, read 11,854,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
There are people in their 80's (even 90's) who are more knowledgeable and sharper than people half their age. They obviously have a lot more experience as well.

I always find it strange how those who think discrimination against someone based on race, religion, or gender (now even sexual orientation) are ok with discrimination based on age.

A person should be judged on their individual capabilities, not some arbitrary age limit.

`
Very easy answer. Because one's race, religion, gender or sexual orientation has nothing to do with ones ability to handle a job, especially one as demanding as POTUS. One's age does.

My mom is 89. She still has her own apartment and takes of of herself for the most part. She is doing great for an 89 year old. My mom has nowhere near the mental faculties that she had even 20 years ago. Yet she is doing well for her age.

No one is going to brag that their 40 or 50 or even 60 year old mom is still able to take care of themselves.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:32 PM

3,330 posts, read 1,826,958 times
Age limit for the Presidency is fine... as long as there's a similar age limit to vote for it.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:50 PM

1,143 posts, read 452,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
[moderator cut]

Just as the minimum age to run for president is 35, should the U.S. state that the maximum age to run for president is age 70 (they cannot turn 70 before the election). If a president turns 70 during their first term, it would make them uneligible to run for second term. Even in good health, 70 + is too old for the stress of the oval office.
LOL, when is the last time we had a President die of natural causes while in office? I'll help you out. It was 1945. Of eight Presidents who died in office, four were assassinated and four died of natural causes. I'll take my chances with an older President dying in office over some younger buffoon getting the job because MORE QUALIFIED candidate was deemed too old.

In addition, age discrimination is illegal and this limit may be illegal. That I don't know for sure, but I bet it would end up in court. Anyway, the only way I would support this would be in the case of Hillary, who happens to be seventy two.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:54 PM

30,202 posts, read 11,854,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
LOL, when is the last time we had a President die of natural causes while in office? I'll help you out. It was 1945. Of eight Presidents who died in office, four were assassinated and four died of natural causes. I'll take my chances with an older President dying in office over some younger buffoon getting the job because MORE QUALIFIED candidate was deemed too old.

In addition, age discrimination is illegal and this limit may be illegal. That I don't know for sure, but I bet it would end up in court. Anyway, the only way I would support this would be in the case of Hillary, who happens to be seventy two.

Then if that is the case how is 35 as the minimum age not age discrimination?

Old 06-22-2020, 11:38 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,858,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Then if that is the case how is 35 as the minimum age not age discrimination?
Age discrimination applies only to those over the age of forty.
EEOC and Age Discrimination

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) protects individuals who are 40 years of age or older. The ADEA applies to organizations with 20 or more workers, including governmental entities, labor organizations, and employment agencies.6

Employers are allowed to give preference to older workers over younger ones (even if those younger workers are age 40 or older). Further, the ADEA does not protect workers younger than age 40 from employment discrimination based on age.

Therefore, if you work in an age-obsessed industry, are less than 40 years old, but think you’re being discriminated against based on age, the ADEA’s protections wouldn’t apply to your case
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/wh...discrimination
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates