Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: No Polls
NA 0 0%
NA 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:56 AM

16,565 posts, read 10,665,830 times

Advertisements

What I don't get is the inconsistency in applying descriptive terms to different people. If we were consistent, the races would be identified thusly:

European-American
African-American
Asian-American
Hispanic-American

OR

white
black
yellow
brown

So why isn't it done this way?

As for the OP's question, I prefer "black" and "white" but also "Asian" and "Hispanic." (So much for consistency!) I HATE the hyphenated-American terms, because it implies that the bearer is not fully American, or has divided loyalties. Also, "American" is a nationality, not a race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 07:57 AM

28,687 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Black is a horrible term,you have a thousand years of cells inside your body and you are all those people, you can't escape your ancestry.
No, "black" is not a horrible term. Black is beautiful. I'll thank you to keep your negative opinions to yourself.

Quote:
Im sorry you have a total disconnection from your ancestors in african culture that is extremely sad.

Yes, it is sad, but it was done 200 years ago and can't be undone. I can never be truly African.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
That's really true african Americans should just call themselves mixed race.
What value would that be? I have a heritage that is unique to those of us who are descendants of slaves in America, and there is a lot in that heritage to be positive about. "Mixed" means nothing.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Can someone explain why the term "colored" is offensive? The NAACP used it in their name, so apparently it was acceptable at one time. Is it just considered archaic and not "trendy" enough?
It was "archaic" 40 years ago. The real question is: Why can't some people let it go when they weren't even in the generation that used it?

Old 04-07-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Where I grew up every one was black ,police, mail man , teachers, doctors , insurance man, school, church, etc., I didn't know I was black until we moved to be around white folks. Black compared to what? I used the word "feel" black because I have been around many non-blacks who have mastered the art of not making you " feel" different. As a child I didn't "feel" different because I looked different. I didn't know any better.
Were you on an all-black island without television?

I grew up in a black neighborhood surrounded by black people as well, but we knew which swimming pool we were allowed to swim in, which movie theater we were allowed to go to, which schools we were allowed to attend and which restaurants we could eat in.

I could see that none of the kids on television looked like me--none of the Cleavers, Andersons, or Nelsons looked like me. Except Buckwheat. There was Buckwheat.

So I definitely knew there was a difference.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I'm white. I'm not "Irish American". Someone along the way decided it was politically incorrect I guess. I say black..... but I think people almost force themselves to say AA fearing "Black" is a racist term.
Seems like a lot of Irish-Americans pop out of the woodwork on March 17, however. And we heard a lot about Irish-Americans back during the dark IRA days. There are scads of Irish-American clubs around the US.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
The use of African-American came about in response to certain whites who complained about the existence of certain black organizations and events. They usually would ask "why can't we have white this, and white that? The answer was that whites do, but it's usually based on ethnicity. While people would frown on an amusement park having a "white day", no one would have a problem with them having a Polish-American, or Italian-American Day. Since black people lost their original ethnicity during slavery, race has to double as ethnicity. The use of African-American was supposed to portray blacks as an ethnic group.

As for black supplanting Negro (ironically, negro is the Spanish word for black), and Colored, this was all about stopping black people from being ashamed of their color. Black had always been used to some degree, but many were uncomfortable with it. The 60s use of black was meant to be provocative, and in your face. "Say it loud; I'm Black And I'm Proud!!!!! Guess what, it was very effective. There are still many problems in the black community, but in 2016, very few black people are ashamed of their color. It was effective to the point that in the 70s, some white ethnic groups that had kind of hung their heads in America, noticed what black folks had done, and found a new pride in their own origins. The Polish especially come to mind.

For what it's worth, black is what I use.
Indeed. To call oneself "Black" was a political statement, just as wearing the hair natural was a political statement.

In fact, when I first grew out my 'fro in 1968, I was explicitly challenged: "Are you one of those revolutionaries?"

Old 04-07-2016, 08:28 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,390,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I've never understood this, and it might have to do with me being fairly young (still in my 20s)...but why do a lot of people prefer to be called African American over black? I prefer black myself because I'm not African, I've never been to Africa, I don't speak any African languages, I wouldn't know what ethnic tribe I originate from, etc. so I feel totally disconnected from the average black African that I've encountered. Which is ironic, because I'm probably more "African" than most who prefer to be called AA. Can someone explain the justification for choosing "AA" over "black"?
I prefer "Black" because it's so much shorter and faster to say. One syllable versus seven is an easy choice!

Old 04-07-2016, 08:33 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,086,021 times
Only American black(African American, Negro, whatever)people would ever ask such a question. You will never find a white person saying " why do people call me Italian? I've never been to Italy, i dont relate to it, I'm one eight of a percentage point black and a quarter irish......" Etc etc etc.

So much shame about their origins, such a chip on the shoulder. Such an effort to distance themselves from an origin they see as negative. All this in 2016. Back then it was 'we are more than a color, now i guess its okay just being a color.... In a few years it might be back to Negro as an official term. Then back to the color. N***a has already been okayed within the community. With time everyone will be using it.(In the open that is)Smh.

For the record, to the rest of the world, Americans are just Americans. And Africans come in all races too.... Including white. There is a majority....yes, but even that majority comes in all shades. Many of whom arent 1/8 of a percentage point white or indian or whatever.

Stop being so lost. Life and time is ticking while you ask pointless questions. If you dont have an identity, find one and stick with it. Then get back to the bussiness of life. A label shouldnt define you. Most people wear more than one. So what? Really...

Old 04-07-2016, 08:36 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,694,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Were you on an all-black island without television?

I grew up in a black neighborhood surrounded by black people as well, but we knew which swimming pool we were allowed to swim in, which movie theater we were allowed to go to, which schools we were allowed to attend and which restaurants we could eat in.

I could see that none of the kids on television looked like me--none of the Cleavers, Andersons, or Nelsons looked like me. Except Buckwheat. There was Buckwheat.

So I definitely knew there was a difference.
You are not getting the gist of what I’m trying to relay. I saw dogs, that were different from one another, cats, horses, birds, bicycles, and people too. What I didn’t know and what psychologist proved is that kids don’t necessarily associate good and bad with being different. So being different was not an issue until someone made it one. I was probably in the 1st grade when I knew for sure that having black skin was a disadvantage. It wasn’t until I was about 21 years old that I could call a white person my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates