Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 01:08 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,851,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The amount of money spent in the US is obscene, especially when one measures the results. Every doctor needs billing and collection staff, every insurance company has staff that tries not to pay, one needs preapproval for normal procedures, co-pays, deductibles and limits. So many $$ get spend on non-medical issues which do not enhance the outcomes at all.

But blame it on illegal immigrants. They make a great scapegoat. Of course, scapegoating is what countries always do when they want to attach blame elsewhere.
I happen to agree with some of your points regarding the US healthcare system. But no one here is "blaming" anyone. It happens to be a fact that the US contends with demographic realities that present various socioeconomic issues Canada has never had to deal with, and would, likely, NOT deal with any better than does the US.

And, FWIW, illegal immigrants don't bother me nearly as much as do Canadian snowbirds constantly shooting off their mouths with their sanctimony and self-congratulation, though they CHOOSE to spend 6 months of the year in the US. Every. Year.

Do yourself -- and Canada -- a favor, and stay in Canada. Keep your money in Canada to help support its healthcare system. And, all that energy you exert here COULD be put to good use somewhere in Canada, could it not? Perhaps you could apply your tireless social championing to improve the dire social, economic, and health-related conditions of First Nations peoples.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 04-24-2016 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 02:31 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,351,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
...Perhaps you could apply your tireless social championing to improve the dire social, economic, and health-related conditions of First Nations peoples.
So true. What a tragedy.

Canadian Attawapiskat First Nation suicide emergency - BBC News

Old 04-24-2016, 02:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,191,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Aren't those examples more like the distant rumbling of thunder as the gods of finance battle it out for megabucks while we powerless lilliputians cower in fear, clutching our blankets and massaging our appendix scars?

I mean, BigMed and BigInsurance aren't particularly interested in what the uh Public thinks, are they? It's the lobbyists who make policy, and they've got both the pachyderms and the jackasses in their pocket, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I can give you a very good example of what you're talking about. About 5 years ago my cardiologist recommended I have a heart cat-scan, but he didn't believe my insurance would pay for it. So he told me to go down to the hospital and bargain for the price of it. I thought he was crazy. I forget the exact figures, but the scan was going to cost something like $1,300 BUT if I paid for it in cash on the day of the procedure, they would only charge something like $900. I said, "Are you saying the paperwork for billing costs $400?" In the end, my insurance did pay for it. But I never fail to be amazed at situations just like this.
I simply saying your current system is set up for failure, because there are no Free Markets.

Hospitals charge ridiculous prices, because as monopolies, they collude to fix prices.

The present system also fails because the Hospital Model is antiquated and obsolete. Look at what the Germans do...

Quote:
Polyclinics—clusters of general practitioners who work together to form more specialized primary care centers—were used extensively and quite successfully in the former German Democratic Republic.

However, many politicians in West Germany initially disliked the idea of polyclinics because they associated them with communist ideology. It took a while for many people to understand that polyclinics offer significant advantages with regard to communication, coordination, and cooperation.

Source: How Germany is reining in health care costs: An interview with Franz Knieps pp 30-31.

If you want a system like Europe, then you need to undergo massive transformation of your present system of healthcare delivery.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I simply saying your current system is set up for failure, because there are no Free Markets.

Hospitals charge ridiculous prices, because as monopolies, they collude to fix prices.

The present system also fails because the Hospital Model is antiquated and obsolete. Look at what the Germans do...

Source: How Germany is reining in health care costs: An interview with Franz Knieps pp 30-31.

If you want a system like Europe, then you need to undergo massive transformation of your present system of healthcare delivery.
Hard to disagree with that conclusion. But America presently lacks the will to do so.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:19 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,935,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Do you have any idea how many BILLIONS went to that one reserve of some 1500 people? You have no idea of the corruption on many native reserves Canada. But it's racist if one says anything.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I happen to agree with some of your points regarding the US healthcare system. But no one here is "blaming" anyone. It happens to be a fact that the US contends with demographic realities that present various socioeconomic issues Canada has never had to deal with, and would, likely, NOT deal with any better than does the US.

And, FWIW, illegal immigrants don't bother me nearly as much as do Canadian snowbirds constantly shooting off their mouths with their sanctimony and self-congratulation, though they CHOOSE to spend 6 months of the year in the US. Every. Year.

Do yourself -- and Canada -- a favor, and stay in Canada. Keep your money in Canada to help support its healthcare system. And, all that energy you exert here COULD be put to good use somewhere in Canada, could it not? Perhaps you could apply your tireless social championing to improve the dire social, economic, and health-related conditions of First Nations peoples.
My taxes support my AND your system

Old 04-24-2016, 03:40 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,851,965 times
Quote:
Do you have any idea how many BILLIONS went to that one reserve of some 1500 people? You have no idea of the corruption on many native reserves Canada. But it's racist if one says anything.
Funny how some Canadians LOVE to appoint themselves judge of the US's social ills, but become indignant and defensive at any mention of Canada's social issues.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Jeez, Coop. Tell you what. Come on down here to the crazy Yoonighted States, load up on guns and ammo, and fly on up there and pass em out. Tell them Justin sent you.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Funny how some Canadians LOVE to appoint themselves judge of the US's social ills, but become indignant and defensive at any mention of Canada's social issues.
Oh now, that's not fair. They're just miffed because it's been 23 years since a Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Just pointing out that many of the First Nations reserves are ruled by corrupt despots, and the poor people who live there do not benefit from the billions allocated to them, except in some cases. Many Chiefs make more than the Prime Minister, tax free, while their people live in squalor.

Would you rather continue to bash me as an individual or would you rather debate facts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates