Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 08:03 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,351,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Canada ethnically homogeneous? You haven't been in Toronto or Vancouver or any of the other major cities, have you?

But let's not go by perceptions. Let's look at some research. By a group everyone agrees has credibility, Pew Research. In this map, darker green is more diverse. Even Mexico is more diverse than USA, and Canada much more.

And the 33 page study with details, statistics and indepth charts are here:

http://www.eea-esem.com/files/papers...lopment-v6.pdf

Facts, not perceptions, count.
The FACTS are the tiny population of minorities within Canada, whose minority population is largely Asian, especially Indian, Hong Kong, and Chinese. Blacks constitute less than 3% of Canada's population. Hispanics constitute less than 2% of Canada's population. Contrast this with the immense numbers of ethnically diverse Americans. There are, for example, more than 15 million Hispanics in California, a state whose population of nearly 40 million exceeds Canada's total population of 36 million. The eleven million illegal aliens in America would constitute nearly one-third of Canada's population. And there are 49 other states to consider!

Facts, you bet. Still want to trade southern borders and try to operate a cost-efficient health service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 08:05 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,743,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Mandatory health insurance is such a great idea that life insurance should also be required by law, of course also based on income and resulting in a fine if it is not obtained.

Because insurance is so important and necessary.
And pet insurance

Old 04-18-2016, 08:51 PM

50,906 posts, read 24,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
So smug. Trade southern borders with the U.S. and watch those costs climb and lifespans diminish, amigo.
Where is the smugness.
A post isn't smug just because you don't like the reality of it.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Mandatory health insurance is such a great idea that life insurance should also be required by law, of course also based on income and resulting in a fine if it is not obtained.

That's plain foolish.

I don't have to leave my heirs any life insurance. But I will have to pay for health costs.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:29 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,935,402 times
Quote:

Why is life insurance necessary? If your kids are grown, what reason is there to have it? When your dead, your dead. It doesn't do you any good, and your kids are better off if you invest the cost yourself in most cases.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:31 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,935,402 times
Quote:
The FACTS are the tiny population of minorities within Canada, whose minority population is largely Asian, especially Indian, Hong Kong, and Chinese. Blacks constitute less than 3% of Canada's population. Hispanics constitute less than 2% of Canada's population. Contrast this with the immense numbers of ethnically diverse Americans. There are, for example, more than 15 million Hispanics in California, a state whose population of nearly 40 million exceeds Canada's total population of 36 million. The eleven million illegal aliens in America would constitute nearly one-third of Canada's population. And there are 49 other states to consider!

Facts, you bet. Still want to trade southern borders and try to operate a cost-efficient health service?
Well, about that wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCyzdD0vYOw

Old 04-18-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Where is the smugness.
A post isn't smug just because you don't like the reality of it.
Oh, come on. Canadians are always snooty about their miniature society in comparison with the big sloppy USA. I've offered considerable evidence why such comparisons are odious.

I'm sensing that you don't like THAT reality much. That's tough.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Over my dead body. Where would I get my Old Style Pilsner, Fully Dressed Chips, and Timbits?

Old 04-18-2016, 10:24 PM

23,238 posts, read 29,085,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I have a long list of things I'd love to buy, if only I had the money.

The US is broke and in debt over paying what we currently have: Medicaid, Medicare, (and now adding ACA subsidies). We don't have the money for Universal Health Care.
I've attempted to reduce the costs for Medicare, to no avail.

I've asked, will you reimburse me for medications I buy in Mexico, or for some medical procedure down there, which is cheaper?

Nope!

So for my Combivent, CVS charges you $250 for it, and you pay it, and I can buy it in Tijuana for $45 but you won't reimburse me for the $45, and instead, pay the $250?

I had a Baker's Cyst aspirated at the Angeles Hospital in Tijuana, for $300, and they were shelling out hundreds for unnecessary imaging, and how much would it have cost for the aspiration, and you won't reimburse me for it?

Nope!

Lucky those that live close to the Mexican border! A consultation with a Dr. at the International Red Cross Clinic in Tijuana or Nogales will set you back $5!

Universal Health Care would be unnecessarily expensive in the U.S. for taxpayers, and I'm guessing it would soon implode, like what's happening in Canada.

At the Angeles Hospital in Tijuana, my Dr. was telling close to 50% of their patients to this medical tourism hospital, for knee/hip replacements are coming from Canada!

Old 04-19-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Oh, come on. Canadians are always snooty about their miniature society in comparison with the big sloppy USA. I've offered considerable evidence why such comparisons are odious.

I'm sensing that you don't like THAT reality much. That's tough.
Yes, and Americans are always egotistical about theirs despite all the problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates