Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 08:28 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
That's not true. You will not be responsible for paying anybody's bankruptcy through your taxes. The hospital is the only one who loses out.
You are amazingly ignorant to think that. Frequently, "the hospital" is a public hospital that relies on taxpayer subsidies to operate. (Linky) Many of the hospitals on that list are "teaching hospitals" for local medical schools. Many are very famous, like Parkland in Dallas (where JFK was taken). So, when these hospitals "lose out", we taxpayers "lose out", too.

One of the reasons that medical providers (from doctors to labs to MRI facilities etc) accept less from insurers than from people who don't have insurance is that they know the insurance companies will pay. They also know that the chances of people without insurance paying the full amount is significantly less. When people don't/can't pay their hospital bills, it lowers the revenues the hospitals and other medical providers receive and increases the need for everybody else who uses those providers to make up the difference through higher prices for all medical services, so we all pay for the the "uninsured", too, even when we use "private" medical providers.

BTW, you cannot file for bankruptcy every year or every other year. If you get a $100,000 medical bill and declare bankruptcy in 2014, don't count on being able to file bankruptcy in 2017 because of some other medical catastrophe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 08:51 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
Yes, I'm reading. You said..
Try again. Slowly.

Quote exactly what was said and in context. We'll wait.
OK.... I'll do it for you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
How can a birth cost even less?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Eliminate the hospital (mostly) and the doctor (secondarily).
Or are you continuing to imply that the normal delivery -in hospital- that jm31828 described
as costing $30,000 required either the hospital or the doctor to have such happen?

Do you really think that absent this deep pocketed 3rd party that the hospital would have the temerity
to charge $30,000 (plus more for doctors and labs) for that normal delivery? Think about it.

The alternative (as was clearly pointed out) is not for jm's wife to go squat in a field
and then chew through the umbilical as you also seem to imply. Is it?
There ARE reasonable and safe alternatives. They are well known. They all cost far less.

But if you really don't want to take advantage of the alternatives?
Well, OK. It's your life, your child. You *should* have the right to choose other approaches.
Just please don't insist that someone else pay for your preferences. Fair enough?

Such a less expensive approach (as an example) should be the default starting point in all of medicine.
Which btw was the starting point in this exchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Just what is the "small stuff"?
Have you priced an office visit or a 30 day prescription lately?
Even 10 days of antibiotic can be expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
^^Good examples of the "small stuff"

Go farther... the uncomplicated ER visit to cast a broken arm/leg,
of get a cut sutured up, healthy baby visits, normal births, etc.

There is NO REASON (that benefits the patient) to have insurance in the middle of these.

Last edited by MrRational; 11-21-2013 at 09:23 AM..

Old 11-21-2013, 09:38 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,402,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Well if you had taken care of your teeth this wouldn't have happened.

Or do crowns fall under "that's life"?
For your information, I've always taken care of my teeth. I've brushed and flossed my teeth daily. I need a crown because I had a root canal. Things like this just sometimes happen.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:46 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
Quote:
For your information, I've always taken care of my teeth. I've brushed and flossed my teeth daily. I need a crown because I had a root canal. Things like this just sometimes happen.
You had a root canal because of a cavity that wasn't filled soon enough. That "didn't just sometimes happen".

You are being hypocritical since you seem to think that what happens to you is "random chance" but what happens to other people is brought on by their "own poor life style choices".

Old 11-21-2013, 10:54 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,402,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
You had a root canal because of a cavity that wasn't filled soon enough. That "didn't just sometimes happen".

You are being hypocritical since you seem to think that what happens to you is "random chance" but what happens to other people is brought on by their "own poor life style choices".
Well, I think an infected tooth is a little less serious than having diabetes or heart disease. Just me. Those diseases are a result from years of poor eating habits and other lifestyle choices.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:19 PM

3,489 posts, read 6,508,487 times
Good points, most of you. Here's the deal. Our current healthcare system is terminally broken; only a major, nationwide re-engineering/restructuring can fix it.

Bloomberg, widely known for its somewhat left-leaning (aka Conservative) viewpoint, recently released a study that shows the United States ranking 46th in the world when it comes to efficient/effective health care. That places the United States BEHIND all of the countries in Europe, BEHIND most of the countries in South America and the Middle East, and even BEHIND countries like Slovakia, China and Iran. My personal experience with emergency medical and hospital care in 14th-ranked Ireland (2009) and 5th-ranked Spain (2012) certainly support this conclusion.

The Bloomberg study also reveals that we spend the most per-person for our health care, AND we have the poorest outcomes. In simple terms, we spend far more for far less. Once again this is according to Bloomberg, fer goodness' sake. Read all about it at:

http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data...care-countries

Last edited by Nighteyes; 11-21-2013 at 12:37 PM..

Old 11-21-2013, 12:53 PM

3,489 posts, read 6,508,487 times
Now, just to stifle some easily-anticipated objections, it remains true that the United States has the best health care in the world. That comes with a caveat -- IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT!

Yes, its true that the Saudi Royal Family (and others) regularly come to the United States for medical treatment. When they come, of course, they bring their own security, they appropriate (and pay for) entire hospital floors, and they literally bring freightcar-loads of cash.

When was the last time John and Mary Q. Citizen could have afforded this? So, with all due respect, don't even bring this one to the table.

-- Nighteyes

Old 11-21-2013, 01:55 PM

577 posts, read 435,654 times
Quote:
Well, I think an infected tooth is a little less serious than having diabetes or heart disease. Just me. Those diseases are a result from years of poor eating habits and other lifestyle choices.

Pfft.. not neccesarily true.

I'm a diabetic.. a juvenile diabetic.. since the age of 16. I was skinny, healthy and athletic when I was diagnosed. It wasn't because of poor eating habits or lifestyle choices. It is genetic.

Heart diseas can also be attributed to this.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:01 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
That's not true. You will not be responsible for paying anybody's bankruptcy through your taxes. The hospital is the only one who loses out.
Wow, you really do not understand this world, do you? We may not pay for your bankruptcy in taxes, but we sure as hell WILL pay for it. And we will also pay in HIGHER HEALTH CARE COSTS because of people like you, who bail on their bills.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:37 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,927 times
with cost of medical insurance it's best just die of natural causes the old fashioned way, no modern medicine necessary, lots of people in 3rd world countries dont get proper medical care and die of natural causes, saves a lot of money, I would rather do that than become a burden to my family

people have survived for thousands of years with no medical insurance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates