Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 05:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
To chime in here, I find it funny that some of the men on this forum are saying to do away with hospitals and doctors for delivery.

Umm.. yeah.. I don't think so. LOL. as a woman who went through labor, I wouldn't want to do that OUTSIDE of a hospital (without the epidural)..
And, childbirth was/is dangerous. I know of an acquaintence who went through childbirth with twins. She was having a normal pregnancy by all accounts.. t he twins died during delivery and she nearly lost her life. If there were no doctors or hospitals around, that would have been the end of her.

Childbirth is what we do, but its also dangerous without medical supervision and the proper tools.
I'm the one who sent you that goofy rep comment. I must have hit enter too soon! Agree, agree, agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Your comments imply otherwise.
And how much without any plan at all: $14,400. (the heads up comparison)

Correct... as the net of the insurance payment; the copay.
There is no mention of the premium payment or who pays that or how.

Conversely... that birthing center charges $4800. Flat. Period. No extra. Everything included.
(ftr... I don't know them but when I googled their very clear schedule popped up)

When people have to pay their own way they'll almost always choose to pay less.
When some other entity is paying the bills... bills tend to get bigger.

Yes. And if you go back about 20 or so posts you'll see that was the criteria in our exchange.

My point: That the largest part of medical care and treatment is NOT exceptional.
It does not need nor does anyone (except hospitals) benefit by the involvement of insurance.

Those other levels of service, the part of medicine that actually does warrant having
some sort of insurance plan or even UHC, is a different structure than the everyday.
Please do try to appreciate the distinction.
You continue to be insulting. I thought "Great Debates" was a forum where people didn't throw zingers at each other like in P&OC; that this was the civil debate alternative to that cesspool.

Re: the bold-many people, mostly conservatives, say that, but NO ONE has ever shown it to be true. I can find some statistics that show that immunization rates improved when immunizations started being covered by insurance. But oh, "that's different", I suppose.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...56988011,d.aWc

Please do quit insulting me. You obviously do not understand that sometimes things can go drastically wrong in a delivery, very quickly. For example, with my first baby, I hemorrhaged and lost nearly 1/2 of my blood supply, had to have an emergency D&C. I suppose we should have budgeted for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
To chime in here that was the example Kat chose to focus on.
But on the point of women and doctors... how the heck did all those babies get born before?

but only with a doctor in the room?
Even in the "olden days" there was a birth attendant, who expected to be PAID! Both my parents were born at home, with a medical doctor in attendance, in 1914 and 1925.

Maternal death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
At the beginning of the 1900s, maternal death rates were around 1 in 100 for live births. The number in 2005 in the United States was 11 in 100,000, a decline by two orders of magnitude,[14

British maternal mortality in the 19th and early 20th centuries
In the 19th and first half of the 20th century, everybody knew about death in childbirth, particularly those women who were about to go through the process. Although death rates from many other conditions were high, they at least were among people who had been ill beforehand. Death in relation to childbirth was mostly in fit young women who had been quite well before becoming pregnant. They died, often leaving the baby, and other children in the family from previous births, with a widowed husband.

It is only recently that the Church of England prayer book removed the service for the ‘churching of women who had recently given birth’ which starts by giving thanks to God for:

‘The safe deliverance and preservation from the great dangers of childbirth.’

Plus much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
That's not true. You will not be responsible for paying anybody's bankruptcy through your taxes. The hospital is the only one who loses out.
Good grief! What irresponsible thinking. You do know that a bankruptcy has other repercussions as well, such as difficulty getting loans again, and so forth?

Old 11-20-2013, 05:24 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Even in the "olden days" there was a birth attendant, who expected to be PAID! Both my parents were born at home, with a medical doctor in attendance, in 1914 and 1925.

Maternal death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
At the beginning of the 1900s, maternal death rates were around 1 in 100 for live births. The number in 2005 in the United States was 11 in 100,000, a decline by two orders of magnitude,[14

British maternal mortality in the 19th and early 20th centuries
In the 19th and first half of the 20th century, everybody knew about death in childbirth, particularly those women who were about to go through the process. Although death rates from many other conditions were high, they at least were among people who had been ill beforehand. Death in relation to childbirth was mostly in fit young women who had been quite well before becoming pregnant. They died, often leaving the baby, and other children in the family from previous births, with a widowed husband.

It is only recently that the Church of England prayer book removed the service for the ‘churching of women who had recently given birth’ which starts by giving thanks to God for:

‘The safe deliverance and preservation from the great dangers of childbirth.’

Plus much more.

Good grief! What irresponsible thinking. You do know that a bankruptcy has other repercussions as well, such as difficulty getting loans again, and so forth?
Yeah, of course I know there are consequences, but it's not the end of the world like a lot of people seem to think it is. I've personally known people who have filed for bankruptcy and their life did not end. In fact, they were able to apply for smaller credit cards just a year after filing for bankruptcy.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
yeah, of course i know there are consequences, but it's not the end of the world like a lot of people seem to think it is. I've personally known people who have filed for bankruptcy and their life did not end. In fact, they were able to apply for smaller credit cards just a year after filing for bankruptcy.
o. M. G.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
o. M. G.
What? Why is this so shocking to you?

Old 11-20-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
What? Why is this so shocking to you?
It is shocking that you would be suggesting blowing off health insurance and declaring bankruptcy, basically foisting the problem of the non-payment of the hospital bill onto the rest of the bill payers. That is not very ethical.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
It is shocking that you would be suggesting blowing off health insurance and declaring bankruptcy, basically foisting the problem of the non-payment of the hospital bill onto the rest of the bill payers. That is not very ethical.
But again, citizens will not be responsible for paying other people's hospital bills. The hospital will be the one who loses out if you file for bankruptcy.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:45 PM

577 posts, read 435,715 times
Quote:
Yeah, of course I know there are consequences, but it's not the end of the world like a lot of people seem to think it is. I've personally known people who have filed for bankruptcy and their life did not end. In fact, they were able to apply for smaller credit cards just a year after filing for bankruptcy.
Wow. Just wow.

You do realize thwt the rest of us end up paying for healthcare via bankruptcy? The costs or I should say loss is passed on to other consumers and is the reason for increasing insurance premiums and increasing costs to those without insurance?

That is precisely a main contributor to the problems we have today !

Old 11-20-2013, 05:47 PM

577 posts, read 435,715 times
Quote:
But again, citizens will not be responsible for paying other people's hospital bills. The hospital will be the one who loses out if you file for bankruptcy.
You seriously need to take a biz class ... Any biz raises prices to compensate for loss. They need to make money to pay staff and make profits.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:25 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
What If We Got Rid of Health Insurance?

Isn't that exactly what's happening right now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates