Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 05:18 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
It's really very simple, people should be able to live where they feel comfortable and safe, and make no apologies for not wanting to live near other people who do not share those same values.

So to all the bleeding heart liberals who look down on us whites who do not choose to live with people like that, I suggest you move into a neighborhood like that for a year and then we will see if you have changed your mind. Where I live now I don't have to worry about someone kicking in my door to steal my possessions or about being shot while walking to my car...........something I always did worry about when I lived in the other place.
Don,

It really is that simple. Why can't people live where they want? Who doesn't want to live in a safe place where their property values can stay where they are or go up? Who wants to live in a house that loses value? I can tell you who, someone who didn't pay for their own house!

I wouldn't want to raise my kids in an area where I'm afraid they'll be hurt, killed or bullied at school. If whites want to leave an area when blacks move in, then so be it, who is getting hurt by whites leaving?

This forced diversity and PC is what's destroying our country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 12:26 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
got to love all the racist rants about how "diversity destroys the country" (probably shouldn't have took america from red/brown people, bring over black people to build it, and invite immigrants to come if you wanted no diversity) or how "hard working people shouldn't be stuck with gang infestation" when the OP stated that the minorities he was speaking of that moved in are just as hard working/same level as the whites there.. no one was asking why do whites leave with low class people in but when minorities of the same background move in

Old 08-26-2013, 06:11 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Interesting thread and comments.

Flight is not confined to race. It is to class as well. Many year ago, Henry Louis Gates did a documentary on Chicago, and a topic he touched on was "black on black" segregation. During the 1950s-1970s, a lot of rural blacks left the south and entered Chicago in droves. The existing black population in Chicago was more educated and financially well off than the new arrivals. This caused the native blacks in Chicago to leave the Southside and seek refuge in other parts of Chicago.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:19 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Goodwin View Post
Funny, because this happened to me. I grew up in a liberal area and moved to a blue-collar suburb in which a deluge of Mexicans moved in within a very short period of time. Because it had been predominantly White (including plenty of Eastern European immigrants), it was probably due to White flight. With my liberal training, I welcomed the change. And then it started: gangs, litter, graffiti, subwoofers rattling my windows...So I have come to realize that there is a grain of truth in those fears and that it's not automatically "racist" to fear people from a different upbringing coming into one's area in droves.
That makes me sad, because there might be someone who fits the profile but is involved with none of the stereotypes. This makes me very nervous buying a home in a nice area because for racial profiling, I put up with it for years where I'm at now and it took a long time for people to get used to me and I'm afraid if I move it's going to be Deja Vu all over again. I literally have to Urkel myself up just to ease tension sometimes. Glasses and a nice polo go a long way... yet I feel like a sellout.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:18 PM

305 posts, read 376,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I know this is a pretty controversial topic, but I think this is perhaps the best place to talk about a topic like this, due to the anonymity (which encourages uninhibited opinions for better or for worse). It probably wouldn't be a topic discussed amongst a diverse crowd.

This is something that has irked and interested me for a while. It seems as though once one race begins moving in, another race begins moving out after a "tipping point" of some sort. It doesn't seem to do with the income levels of people moving in, either. I will give a few examples I'm familiar with.

1. Prince Georges County, MD.
It is often referred to as "the richest county with an African-American majority," and the numbers don't lie. The median income for a family was over $80,000. Over a third make over $100,000/yr. Yet it is mainly black in many areas. People tend to say that "the only color that matters is green," but it appears despite the cliché Prince George's is mainly brown. Even in neighboring Charles County, a former majority white county next to PGC, whites are leaving/not coming anymore as more blacks move in. This is despite the fact that those moving to the area have very high incomes.

2. South suburban Cook County, IL (Where Chicago is located)
The south suburbs were mainly white during the 1960s/1970s/1980s, when white flight was all the rave. Then, something happened. As south side communities began having major issues, upwardly mobile blacks began moving to the south suburbs, in search of a better life for their families. The area was integrated for a while, but the overall result has been white flight. For example, Flossmoor, which was once considered one of the most exclusive south suburbs, has changed from ~65% white to 44% white, and the black population has increased from ~20% ~45% in ten years. There doesn't appear to be any stabilization, either. Income levels the same, crime rates the same, schools are still pretty solid, but the people living here are different. Why does this happen?

It's not just a white/black thing, either. In many parts of southern California, whites are moving from areas with large Hispanic populations. Many cite this due to the "dumbing down of schools" to cater to ESL students. I'm not too familiar with areas with upper-income Hispanic-dominated neighborhoods, but Miami & L.A. come to mind.

Even in some parts of Silicon Valley in northern California, whites are beginning to move from heavily Asian populated areas. This one really confounded me since, generally speaking, Asians are well integrated. They do well in school, have high incomes, etc. It's a recipe for a desirable neighborhood, but whites are leaving.
Article: The New White Flight - WSJ.com

My initial thought is that, despite income, crime, and other factors, most people tend to want to live around people that look like them. But that can't be the entire picture, because in places like Oak Park, IL & Shaker Heights, Ohio, people of different backgrounds live together fine (or at least seem to). There is no flight of any sort. What makes these areas stay diverse compared to other areas? There's no obvious "flight."

At the end of the day, we are stronger united than divided. I'm not singling out white flight. California is experiencing "black flight" as well, as hispanics move into formerly black areas such as South Central, and some of L.A.'s suburbs to the south. Again, I don't think that it's impossible to live together. I think we all want the same thing: the best for our family. We're united by that. I think the difference comes in HOW we get the best for our family. Do people of different races see "best" as seeing other successful individuals of your race? What if you see "best" for your family as knowing that in America, EVERYONE can succeed? Is this de facto segregation wrong, or is it justified? If de facto segregation is the norm, what happens when someone from a different race wants to move in, based on their definition of "best?" Is it accepted, why or why not?

I would love to hear from those that "flighted" and why. The good, the bad, the ugly. I am really looking forward to this debate!
As a white Latino, I'm sort of in a unique position. From all outward appearances, I am considered a white guy, tall, thin, w/freckles, blue eyes, pale skin, and brown hair. Grew up in So Cal and still live in a diverse neighborhood but, will be moving within the next year to a whiter area. My opinion, there's too much racial tension, suspicion, and just too many differences to live comfortably without offending someone. Seems the darker people expect more from me, expect me to say hello, smile, and wave or make conversation or have certain views or be a certain way. My personality is just not that way and many take it as an offense--which to me, is reverse racism. In white cities or states, I don't have to deal with that, I can just go on about my business and not worry about offending someone. No tension, I guess. So, that's my reason for flighting.

Last edited by theGreat1; 09-07-2013 at 10:30 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 PM

88 posts, read 168,302 times
White flight when it comes to black people is all about "supreme arrogance" and White chauvinism. Black people like to live around white people because they have an inferiority complex and think "everything White is better".

White people intrinsically think they are better then black people; Add to this crime, poverty, illitracy, and uncouth behavior from black people and white people cant wait to get away.

Im black and I think black people should stop this cumbaya, intergration pipe dream and simply live amongst themselves. Why do you need to go live with white people? Fix up your own neighborhoods, be a serious people about business and education and live the good life. Good night.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:25 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 It would be nice if white women would 'white flight' themselves out of the public school system. Then maybe Black men and women educators could get employment. White women like to hire white women. They are just like White men.
1. It's not just the public school system.
2. It's not just black women and men who would like a chance for some of those jobs.
3. They have more leverage than white men in a lot of cases. Affirmative action gives them the female protected class status then white privilege kicks in. It's been proven that white women benefit the most from affirmative action.

This is off topic but I just wanted to comment. I think affirmative action policies need to be revisited but that's another thread.
I just wanted to address this post. I think that holds many black teachers back is how they speak. As long as they use any sort of ebonics in their speech patterns, they will be undesirable as educators in a good school system. What parent wants their child picking up ebonic speaking patterns? I cringe every time a black manager pronounces "ask" as "axe". Children mimic the adults around them. So of course parents want their children taught by people who speak English well and properly. Slang and ebonics are for outside of school time.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:23 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
That makes me sad, because there might be someone who fits the profile but is involved with none of the stereotypes. This makes me very nervous buying a home in a nice area because for racial profiling, I put up with it for years where I'm at now and it took a long time for people to get used to me and I'm afraid if I move it's going to be Deja Vu all over again. I literally have to Urkel myself up just to ease tension sometimes. Glasses and a nice polo go a long way... yet I feel like a sellout.
I understand the feeling. I often feel like "I have to constantly prove that I don't fit the stereotype". It saddens me because it basically says "50% of how you are perceived is based on how you look". It is a matter of "the innocent have to suffer for the guilty". I don't find it right that those who don't fit the stereotype have to suffer for those who do fit the stereotype.

And you aren't a sellout. You're basically trying to function in society. I "Urkeled up" when I went to a bookstore. I was dressed like I had just come from church. It did not stop the store clerk from following me around. Me, the only Black person at the store that day. No one else got followed, just me. I vowed never to buy anything from that particular bookstore. My rationale was "if you are going to treat me like I'm guilty, then you don't deserve any of my money".

Old 09-20-2013, 06:07 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What about the opposite problem,where whites are moving back to the cities and displacing the others(aka Gentrification)? In any event,I just see it as human nature. Aside form color,even Homosexuals want to live around each other. So do people of different religions. There are whole muslim neighborhhoods in Paterson,Nj. I think its just that people want to find common ground.
I also think that is true. And living closer to the city core would be most convenient for those working there. However, I wont otherwise attempt, to attach any intricate psychological reasons for any color of flight other than prejudice. Some people just consider some people as beneath their standards and don't wish to be party to what they do not approve of. So flight is preferred over fight.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:53 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long beach finest View Post
White flight when it comes to black people is all about "supreme arrogance" and White chauvinism.
We can distill that down to a single word, racism. My personal experience with white flight took place 10 years ago when my wife (an attorney) and myself (a journalist) moved into a historic neighborhood which was in a state of aggressive rehabilitation, in short we fit the profile of home buyers to a tee, professional, upper income, and dedicated to completely restoring the home we were buying, except for one item, I was African American. One of our prospective neighbors who had lived in the community in a home that he had designed and built threatened the realtor for even showing us the home and once we purchased it immediately up his dream home up for sale. Irrational racism plain and simple.

Quote:
Black people like to live around white people because they have an inferiority complex and think "everything White is better".
That is absurd! African American's move into "white communities" for the same reason that white folks move to a particular area, superior housing stock, good schools, low crime and all the other intrinsic and extrinsic reasons that one uses when looking for a home. Frankly, I don't find any of those attributes to be the exclusive purview of white people. I've never seen a "white" people's home, a white people's school, or any other physical object that could possibly be described as being white. I've never been to a car dealership with a section for white people cars, or a clothing store with a white people's department so how one can attach whiteness to any of these items is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates