Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times

Advertisements

One thing that may work against him when it comes to real scrutiny is that he is the grandson of Batista's chief of the secret police. Coupled that with the fact that he is a right of center Republican will give the liberals some added amunition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
One thing that may work against him when it comes to real scrutiny is that he is the grandson of Batista's chief of the secret police. Coupled that with the fact that he is a right of center Republican will give the liberals some added amunition.
Even if this is true (link?) are you saying that he somehow assisted his grandfather?

Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
Rubio is a liberal who will get us into more wars, increase the debt and expand the size of government. Besides he's not a "natural born citizen" as required by the Constitution. A sure way for another republican loss is to toss another turd such as Rubio at the democrats.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Even if this is true (link?) are you saying that he somehow assisted his grandfather?
Not at all. "The sins (in this case) of the grandfather are visited upon the grandson." The opposition will make use of this and it will impress voters. IMO enough voters to make it difficult for Rubio. Can you imagine if the grandson of Al Capone intended to run for mayor of Chicago? He could be a super - straight-arrow but the stigma would still follow him after 80 years.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Sen. Rubio will be giving the Republican response to President Obama's upcomming State of The Union speech in English and in Spanish.
So what? That's what I have to say to Rubio and the English/Spanish issue.

Quote:
For all those Republicans that have been fighting so hard for English as the "official" language, is this acceptable? Is this the "death knell" for the "English Only" cause?
I believe that English should be the language of government business in the United States, i.e. the official language. Since the people as a whole speak English, English is the lingua franca, and English is already used in government business, I see no reason not to formalize that arrangement. However, just because English is the official language or the common language doesn't mean that other languages cannot be spoken in addition to English.

Is it the death knell for English Only? Rubio is just one man, so I'd hardly call it a death knell, but I'd say that it weakens the position. Besides, from what I've seen "English Only" morphed into "English First" a long time ago, so it may be dead already. My point is that even if it is dead, Rubio didn't kill it.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:52 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,968 times
Man, I'm thirsty.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:52 PM

585 posts, read 1,087,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Barack H Obama Sr's alleged connections with the Mau-Mau in Kenya didn't seem to do his son much harm. If the liberals decide to try out some of that ammunition do you think there might be any response from the other side?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I support English as the first national language; however, I have to say that by Rubio doing this, the non-English speaking Latino population cannot claim "No comprendo".

Old 02-18-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
Barack H Obama Sr's alleged connections with the Mau-Mau in Kenya didn't seem to do his son much harm. If the liberals decide to try out some of that ammunition do you think there might be any response from the other side?

Where as the Obama - Mau Mau was an obvious fabrication there is plenty of proof that many in the Cuban community in Flordia were in the Batista camp. Rubio is, however, not the first Cuban in US politics with a Batista connection.

If there had been a Kenyan power block in the US certainly more would have been made out of Obama's Mau mau connection. In the case of Rubio, using his family history as a brickbat could help the liberals against the conservative Cuban voting block (which is becoming smaller as the older Cubans are dying off) in Florida, as it is a key state in US elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates