Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:23 AM

990 posts, read 939,073 times

Advertisements

So this is not going to be a thread about conservation and environmentalism...it's actually the opposite.

So I read this article today about how Seagulls are attacking Whales and how they are now shooting them to save the whales, and it got me thinking. Is it right to force the extinction or decimation of a species to save another species?

So my question for the debate is: If pigeons are suddenly attacking poodles in the city, is it cool for us to kill all the pigeons in the city to save the poodles from the attacks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 AM

412 posts, read 684,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
So this is not going to be a thread about conservation and environmentalism...it's actually the opposite.

So I read this article today about how Seagulls are attacking Whales and how they are now shooting them to save the whales, and it got me thinking. Is it right to force the extinction or decimation of a species to save another species?

So my question for the debate is: If pigeons are suddenly attacking poodles in the city, is it cool for us to kill all the pigeons in the city to save the poodles from the attacks?
The article points to man made problems that led to the problem of overabundance of seagulls. Since people are so trashy, pigeons would probably not have to rely on poodle meat to sustain them.

It is still a problem created by humans.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:16 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Seagulls are in no danger of extinction.

Yes fix the root of the problem. TBH though I don't have a problem with the shootings since whales are much more endangered. Like some of the comments said, it's not natural behaviour, it's behaviour caused probably by human foolishness but, possibly, but one freak gull 'teaching' the others.

If it came to a battle between domestic animals and endangered wildlife, I'd be behind the endangered species anytime. We have a problem with feral cats and foxes here, and while I don't like the idea of killing if it has to be done...

Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
The article points to man made problems that led to the problem of overabundance of seagulls. Since people are so trashy, pigeons would probably not have to rely on poodle meat to sustain them.

It is still a problem created by humans.

It's a "what if?" question.

What if Pigeons discovered that Poodles tasted better than trash and that they were easy targets?
This is the question, not "is it realistic to think that Poodles will suddenly be hunted by Pigeons?"

Old 08-30-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
It's a "what if?" question.

What if Pigeons discovered that Poodles tasted better than trash and that they were easy targets?
This is the question, not "is it realistic to think that Poodles will suddenly be hunted by Pigeons?"
is there much feeding on poodles by pigeons where you are from?

I just don't see it being a problem unless suddenly all humans vanished and took their trash with them. But then the poodles wouldn't get fed and thus would die off. So the turkey buzzards might get them.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
is there much feeding on poodles by pigeons where you are from?

I just don't see it being a problem unless suddenly all humans vanished and took their trash with them. But then the poodles wouldn't get fed and thus would die off. So the turkey buzzards might get them.

Some people just do not understand hypotheticals, do they?

I used the examples of Pigeons and Poodles not because it's a likely scenario, but because it would illustrate the point. Would you kill one species off to protect another? Where do you draw the line?

Seriously, it's not that difficult of a concept to understand. It's called a "what if?" question. Are you one of those people who goes to a Science Fiction movie and says "that could never happen in real life!"?

Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Some people just do not understand hypotheticals, do they?

I used the examples of Pigeons and Poodles not because it's a likely scenario, but because it would illustrate the point. Would you kill one species off to protect another? Where do you draw the line?

Seriously, it's not that difficult of a concept to understand. It's called a "what if?" question. Are you one of those people who goes to a Science Fiction movie and says "that could never happen in real life!"?
You mean like would you kill off humans to protect wildlife?

Old 08-30-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
You mean like would you kill off humans to protect wildlife?
That's a line...
Would you kill off birds to protect cats?
Would you kill off cats to protect dogs?

How do you determine which species deserves life more? Is it merely which one has smaller numbers? Is it the one with more "intelligence"? How do you determine that the life of one animal is more valuable than another?

Old 08-30-2012, 01:58 PM

663 posts, read 1,144,306 times
I'm shocked that seagulls are able to penetrate a whale's skin.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
That's a line...
Actually I think it's as valid as what you posted.

Quote:
Would you kill off birds to protect cats?
Would you kill off cats to protect dogs?
Feral cats have to eat also although I don't think it is just birds.

Quote:
How do you determine which species deserves life more? Is it merely which one has smaller numbers? Is it the one with more "intelligence"? How do you determine that the life of one animal is more valuable than another?
How do we determine that humans get to kill off species?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates