Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:03 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Free education is a myth.
You are absolutely correct.

Nearly all of the Founding Fathers believed that the best chances for the new American republic that they crafted involved among other things an educated citizenry. Public education (when the education is effective) is vital to the functioning of the republic.

I believe that we would all agree that freedom isn't free. At the minimum, a basic public education, funded by society, is one of the prices we pay for freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 11:29 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
I do think education should be free because it is in my interest to provide opportunities to all community members with the education that will result in productive citizens.

I am assuming that you meant some of the working class had poor study habits and that they do not value education. That may be true but, IMO, what they should probably not value as well is how the education is taught. It can set children that you speak of up for failure.

(I hope this post is better.)

Old 11-19-2011, 01:44 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I do think education should be free because it is in my interest to provide opportunities to all community members with the education that will result in productive citizens.

I am assuming that you meant some of the working class had poor study habits and that they do not value education. That may be true but, IMO, what they should probably not value as well is how the education is taught. It can set children that you speak of up for failure.

(I hope this post is better.)
Education should provide an opportunity to move between classes (from lower class to middle or upper). But it should not be a right. In fact, education plays an important part in maintaining social hierarchy. If education was free to all, social hierarchy would be in disarray. This would have a negative impact on us to be able to run as a society.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:50 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Education should provide an opportunity to move between classes (from lower class to middle or upper). But it should not be a right. In fact, education plays an important part in maintaining social hierarchy. If education was free to all, social hierarchy would be in disarray. This would have a negative impact on us to be able to run as a society.
Just to be clear, I understand that K-12 education is paid for by those who pay taxes. I am assuming you are either referring to those who pay no taxes receiving a free K-12 education, which they would already be doing. Or you are referring to free higher education for all paid for by taxes, which we are not currently doing.

Either way, I don't think free education that sets children up for success based on his background knowledge and abilities would have a negative impact on social hierarchy. That is how it should be created.

IMO, what has a negative impact on society is when students and teachers fail because the student should have known a set of knowledge yesterday. This is how I believe it currently keeps everyone in their place.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:14 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Just to be clear, I understand that K-12 education is paid for by those who pay taxes. I am assuming you are either referring to those who pay no taxes receiving a free K-12 education, which they would already be doing. Or you are referring to free higher education for all paid for by taxes, which we are not currently doing.

Either way, I don't think free education that sets children up for success based on his background knowledge and abilities would have a negative impact on social hierarchy. That is how it should be created.

IMO, what has a negative impact on society is when students and teachers fail because the student should have known a set of knowledge yesterday. This is how I believe it currently keeps everyone in their place.
I didn't read the OP well. I was referring to higher education. My bad. K-12 is fine the way it is... well the funding. The quality needs improvement.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:53 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I have always believed that any education required by law shall be free. This includes K-12 and any college required to get into a profession, (engineering, architecture, medicine, law, etc) with one stipulation. All students must maintain a minimum standard or be expelled for a period of time. The idea of school competition is a good one, as the money will follow the student. Money is no problem as we seem to have unlimited cash to spend on police, prisons, wars, and free money for Wall Street speculators to blow. A nation of productive workers pay taxes, and without needless spending mentioned above, there will be plenty to allow every capable student to earn a doctorate degree, or finish trade school so they can get to work.

When it comes to teachers I would eliminate the education requirements and give an option for those in industry who wish to move to the classroom to have a peer-reviewed evaluation where they can work with students under the supervision of others and develop their teaching skills. I would also have existing teachers reviewed for the same training or required workshops to keep them at the head of their game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates