Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 10:21 AM

6 posts, read 18,553 times

Advertisements

I have come to the opinion that in all probability, we will never make contact with an intelligent life-form out there in space. Understanding that the universe consists of an untold number of galaxies, stars, and associated planets, one might come to the conclusion that there must be thousands, if not millions, of earth-like planets upon which, intelligent life might evolve. But consider this. The universe is not the calm tranquil peaceful realm with the galaxies gliding along in harmony. The universe is chaos to the nth degree. We, as humans cannot safely go beyond our own moon at this time. (Well, as a matter of fact we can not even get to the moon today.) We humans, (or at least we laymen), have no idea of the danger from outer space the earth faces every minute. Asteroids, exploding stars, comets, and even our own sun can wipe us clean in minutes. Stars and therefore planets are born and die every day. The distances are so great, it take years for any radio wave communications to reach even the closer stars. Civilizations could rise and fall many times and each would have to have the capability to receive and translate our communications. We use radio waves here on our planet all the time. But they can be dangerous, as radiation is known to be. Another civilization might never consider their use. I am, and always have been, a sci-fi lover. But I have to say, I don't think we will ever communicate with any intelligent life out there in space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,348,671 times
Patience.

If Earth is 4.5 billion yrs. old, and the dinosaurs reigned for 160 million yrs.
(230 million yrs. ago), and the first anotomical humans appeared only about 200,000 yrs. ago and homo sapiens are only about 50,000 yrs. old then we might have another 159,950,000 yrs. (to match the length of the dinosaur reign).

I'm pretty confident that in 159,950,000 yrs. we'll make it "out there" and Earth will get left behind just as most of us left the Fertile Crescent behind.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:56 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,029,781 times
I do not think that we should be extrapolating about our future based upon our current level of knowledge. There were once times in which it was thought man could not travel over a few miles per hour. People just knew that we could never fly, too.

I feel that there must be other humans out there, merely through the probabilities.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:17 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,218,376 times
Maybe, maybe not. I cannot foresee anything. One thing to consider is that if they are intelligent for advance space travel dwarfing our achievements, why would they be interested in dumb, violent animals like us? When was the last time you were walking down the street and tried to have a conversation with a wasp or a raccoon?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:13 PM

525 posts, read 902,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I cannot foresee anything. One thing to consider is that if they are intelligent for advance space travel dwarfing our achievements, why would they be interested in dumb, violent animals like us? When was the last time you were walking down the street and tried to have a conversation with a wasp or a raccoon?
Speak for yourself. The theory is when an object goes the speed of light time all but stops or slows down to almost stand still, so if other life out there has developed the technology to go the speed of light wouldn't it be logical that they could make it here?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:55 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,172,281 times
The probability of contacting an alien civilization in our lifetimes? Practically nil. The probability of contacting one before we destroy ourselves? Slightly better.

I think it far more likely that we will eventually develop and perfect cryo-stasis and we will send our own people out into space for decades or longer to find a planet with life, whether it is "intelligent" life or not.

I do think there is a good chance of finding proof of other life in our lifetime, whether through telescopes, fossils retrieved from space, moon/Mars landings, etc.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:18 PM

13,137 posts, read 22,893,290 times
It's isn't exactly communication, but the "Wow signal" is still unexplained...

Quote:
The Wow! signal was a strong narrowband radio signal detected by Dr. Jerry R. Ehman on August 15, 1977, while working on a SETI project at the Big Ear radio telescope of The Ohio State University then located at Ohio Wesleyan University's Perkins Observatory, Delaware, Ohio.[1] The signal bore expected hallmarks of potential non-terrestrial and non-solar system origin. It lasted for the full 72-second duration that Big Ear observed it, but has not been detected again. The signal has been the subject of significant media attention.
Source: Wow! signal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by TheViking85; 10-07-2011 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: Proper linking.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:03 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,116,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
"Dumb, violent animals?"

Moderator cut: Comment on post not poster.

Go visit an art museum; listen to some Mozart; read some Yeats or Pound; visit a children's hospital; watch an opera; go to a Sunday church service; read about the life of a Ghandi or a Mother Theresa or the Dalai Lama; go pound some nails with Habitat For Humanity; visit a local park on a Saturday morning and watch the kids play.
Moderator cut: Again, post not poster

Peace.

p.s. I talk to raccoons all the time, amigo.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:43 PM

4,171 posts, read 10,720,536 times
"Other" intelligent life?
Just because a species is self-aware doesn't make it intelligent.
I would think that, if "aliens" are aware of us at all, they run the gamut of bemused to horrified distant observation. "Look at what those fools are doing now, Martha!"

Besides, if our satellite renditions of entertainment are interpreted as 'news' or even popular belief, why on earth would they want to get within a billion miles of us? Zombies, vampires, end-of-the-world scenarios, even our treatment of poor old ET, Klaatu or Gort wouldn't be very tempting.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:26 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,353,569 times
jamesrjohnson1....For all I know some people already Have communicated with other intelligent life from outer space....course who the hell would dare to tell/say anything....something like that would most likely be marvelled at...and if you're smart, kept under the hat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates