Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 05:13 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I cannot foresee anything. One thing to consider is that if they are intelligent for advance space travel dwarfing our achievements, why would they be interested in dumb, violent animals like us? When was the last time you were walking down the street and tried to have a conversation with a wasp or a raccoon?
But there are those who try and succeed conversing with some other animals. Lilly and the dolphins, Dr Peppercorn and the birds? I think that is her name, I believe she's with the U.of Arizona.

They may have compassion. They may have concern on how we'll use our technology or destroy the planet.

I just hope that they have developed the better attributes that humanity is capable of and not the warrior and destructive side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 02:25 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
I think it far crazier to assume we Humans here on planet Earth are the only "intelligent" life in the universe. Many people have said they've already had communication with ET beings, telepathic or otherwise. It is my belief that they are not openly "out" in plain view, communicating freely, because they are waiting for us to evolve past our present vibration of fear-based emotions and into a higher mass-consciousness...will this happen soon? They Mayan calender points toward he beginnings of this massive shift of consciousness happening VERY soon! I, of course, don't have the answers, but I do enjoy believing that we will somehow pull ourselves out of this present mentality of "Only for me and my own" and into "For the good of all". Maybe if we could get to that point, ET beings would be happy to share information that could assist us in our evolutionary journey as a species...because they would know we wouldn't turn around and use that information for evil or selfish purposes...but as we are in this moment, I wouldn't blame them for keeping their distance from all but a select few who are clearly pure of heart. In a nutshell, I believe it is up to US how soon we will meet our star cousins. More meditation and less television would certainly be a good start...!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:15 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Communicating wih other intelligent life in outer space or not...

I'm not entirely sure that we have been able to communicate with all intelligent life on earth, but, I would still like to give it a good try. Then again..... "intelligent life in outer space" may not consider us an intelligent life form.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:04 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
I think we have to define some terms, and avoid semantics on others. This debate about what is "intelligent" is inane, until we define or accept a general definition of what "intelligent life" really is.

For the purposes of the discussion, I think we should consider "intelligent life" as a life form that has developed the capability to communicate in multiple terms with your own life form (we can talk, write, sing, use sign language, etc.), and have the capacity to pass ideas of communication across the spectrum. We communicate with our pets, and understand our pets communications with us (to an extent).

Based off of that description, I think the odds of us communicating with other intelligent (non homo sapien) lifeforms is more a question of both time and space, versus just one or the other. As was pointed out earlier, if we take commonly accepted scientific times that the universe (and thereby our galaxy and others) has been around, then our existence as "intelligent" beings is shorter than the fastest blink.

Someone by the name of Frank Drake came up with is commonly known as the Drake Equation (you can Google it). It basically starts with all the possible stars (an unknown number, currently), and works down through planets, life forming, intelligence, and communications to come up with a number of potential planets that could sustain life that we could communicate with.

The issue, in my opinion, is whether in the millions (billions?) of years that the universe and our galaxy have been around, since we are a blink, are there other intelligent life forms that exist in the same blink that we do.

As to whether we are alone or not, a professor once explained it in a term we could wrap our minds around. If the Pacific Ocean was the Milky Way galaxy, we have been able to explore or research only a portion of it. To say intelligent life doesn't exist would be akin to walking knee deep into the ocean with a drinking glass, dipping it in the water, holding it up, not seeing any fish in the water, and claiming there must be no fish in the ocean at all.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:05 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
On the one hand you have Drake's equation and similar calculations that seem to indicate that there *must* be other intellegent life "out there". On the other hand there is no peer-reviewed data that indicates that there are other civilizations "out there". Maybe the glass of ocean water/no fish analogy is the answer to this - not enough searching has been done to come up with any real conclusion.

One working definition of "intellegent" might be that they broadcast signals we can receive, or they send "stuff" out into space that we can see or detect somehow. Consider that if there was a civilization like Ancient Egypt in even a nearby solar system, while that's a fine degree of civilization they would probably not create any "signature" that we could possibly detect.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:40 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,813 times
I hear people talk of us humans as if all us humans are the same. Not to put anyone race down but wether we advance to the stars or not depends on if the race of human beings that are capable of achieving that survive on this planet. I do know that German rocket scientists and technicians were behind mans first trip to the moon. That may give you an indication of what race must survive into the future if a trip to the stars will ever happen.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:31 AM

6 posts, read 18,519 times
There are a few opinions here, but I still think no aliens have contacted us because ..."they just aint there !" Maybe their civilizations were born and died. Maybe they were here a few thousand years ago. Maybe they gave earthen humanity a push with such things as fire, the wheel, etc. They might even have interbred with humans. I could accept that proposition, but as for being there now? No, sorry, I see no evidence indicating life, as we know it, exists outside our planet. As the old saying goes, "Show me the beef".

Old 10-14-2011, 10:19 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
There are really far too many unknowns to do more than guess. Consider the Drake Equation, simply to try and assess the number of civilizations in our galaxy at present:
Drake equation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of the variables are educated guesses and nothing more.

The question you are posing is like asking an ancient Sumerian to guess whether or not we'd ever travel to the moon. The Sumerian's guess would be meaningless, as the relevant data points would just be inadequate. So it is with the conjecture as to whether or not Homo sapiens will communicate with extraterrestrials.

The only honest answer is: "Maybe, maybe not"

Old 10-17-2011, 06:25 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
The only destructive animal on earth is man. Man has or is in the process of polluting every drop of water, fouling every breath of air, and over populating to the point where millions of people starve. If we were to contact another life form, assuming intelligence, how do you think man would be received?

Humans plot against humans not for the sake of survival but instead for the purpose of profit. The manipulators on Wall St gamble on commodities making billions in profits at the cost of millions of people in Africa starving to death or dying from a variety of diseases. In India 70% of the country is without toilets with over population defecating everywhere and spreading disease in the process.

I believe the thing to do is for humans to hide. Pretend we don't exist. For if we are discovered we may have to explain or greed, deceit, and corruption.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:39 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The only destructive animal on earth is man. Man has or is in the process of polluting every drop of water, fouling every breath of air, and over populating to the point where millions of people starve. If we were to contact another life form, assuming intelligence, how do you think man would be received?

Humans plot against humans not for the sake of survival but instead for the purpose of profit. The manipulators on Wall St gamble on commodities making billions in profits at the cost of millions of people in Africa starving to death or dying from a variety of diseases. In India 70% of the country is without toilets with over population defecating everywhere and spreading disease in the process.

I believe the thing to do is for humans to hide. Pretend we don't exist. For if we are discovered we may have to explain or greed, deceit, and corruption.
Probably as a species that is the long product of evolutionary pressures, and is still in the process of controlling those pressures which were developed to deal with a very different environment than that of civilization, industry, and advanced technology.

Any other intelligent civilizations almost certainly went through some sort of analagous process, and is perhaps even aware of other civilizations which did so.

Lots of species are destructive-- the difference is simply in the capacity to be destructive. Don't kid yourself with some "all non-human nature is benign and lives in a wonderful Circle-Of-Life harmony!" nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates