Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:10 PM

4,491 posts, read 5,006,761 times

Advertisements

As grandparents to your own kids?

Do you think they treat your kids like they used to treat you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 10:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,298,594 times
Well, I'm a grandparent who definitely does not treat her grands the same as she treated her children.

I don't discipline them for one thing. I can let things slide a bit. I feel it is OK for me to indulge them a little more than I would have my own kids. I don't see them every day, but I enjoy seeing them as often as possible.

I also think I have more patience than I used to.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,910,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
As grandparents to your own kids?

Do you think they treat your kids like they used to treat you?
My dad's pretty much the same. Just this mellow dude with snippets of insights, history, et. c.

As for my mom... Noooo. My mother actually is a better grandmother than a mother. She's the worst example of a Tiger Mom-- so there was lots of criticism, violence, threats and all that. She used to just flip out and beat her kids, criticize and limit what her kids do-- so anything we wanted to do had to be approved by her (which was not a lot) and it was supposed to boost her... "image" among her friends. My siblings and I were never allowed to do what we wanted. It was a very difficult childhood. I was the youngest one, but I was always able to "fight" her (stand up to her)-- eventually, I moved in with my dad because it was pretty bad. My elder siblings simply followed suit-- and were only too happy to do it. And life just became calm.

Now she actually tells my oldest daughter that she can do anything she wants to do, dream anything and achieve it; to use her brains and heart to guide her to the right path in life. It usually becomes those moments that I just stand there and wish... but oh well.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:09 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,579,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
My dad's pretty much the same. Just this mellow dude with snippets of insights, history, et. c.

As for my mom... Noooo. My mother actually is a better grandmother than a mother. She's the worst example of a Tiger Mom-- so there was lots of criticism, violence, threats and all that. She used to just flip out and beat her kids, criticize and limit what her kids do-- so anything we wanted to do had to be approved by her (which was not a lot) and it was supposed to boost her... "image" among her friends. My siblings and I were never allowed to do what we wanted. It was a very difficult childhood. I was the youngest one, but I was always able to "fight" her (stand up to her)-- eventually, I moved in with my dad because it was pretty bad. My elder siblings simply followed suit-- and were only too happy to do it. And life just became calm.

Now she actually tells my oldest daughter that she can do anything she wants to do, dream anything and achieve it; to use her brains and heart to guide her to the right path in life. It usually becomes those moments that I just stand there and wish... but oh well.
I always said, that there is no parenting manual that comes with your baby! I think that as each generation comes around, parenting is just plain different.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:25 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,765,542 times
Age 4-12: Godlike
13-17: Doubt begins
18-until their death: Fossils who didn't know squat
After they died and my children were over 18: How stupid I was.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,260,240 times
My parents are better grand parents to my kids than they were parents to me. I'm not sure it is fair to compare, though. Their job as grandparents isn't the same as their job as parents was. My mom has been downright hypocritical when she criticizes my parenting. She tells me not to do the very things she did. She has told me not to be hard on my kids when she was so much harder on me.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:01 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,428,474 times
Are they the same with my children as they were with me? Of course not! As Kibbie pointed out, the job of a parent is very different than that of a grandparent, but I think my parents have been superb in both roles.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 PM

74 posts, read 119,720 times
My parents are much calmer and gentler with my children. More loving it would seem. Now that I am a grandmother myself I understand this difference. I have no reason to "raise" my grandchildren. I don't have to be worried about bringing them up to the best of my ability. That is the job of my son and his wife. I get to sneak them candy, let them stay up late when they're over, and buy them useless junk that their parents said no to. It is easy to be a grandmother. Mother.....not so much! I give my parents all the credit in the world. You learn a lot as you go thru this raising children thing and you surely mellow with age. I am a much better parent to my 5 year old than I was to my 22 year old. Live and learn.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 AM

63 posts, read 63,277 times
My parents are way better. My dad was ferocious and cruel with me. But he's never with my child without the calming presence of gramma. I haven't seen any bad behavior from him. So I'm happy for that. But he still doesnt "own" that a lot of my own anger issues, swearing, fighting, etc. came from watching him. Now that he's old I give him a pass and he takes it and acts ok. It's kind of like pardoning a war criminal.

But I do my best not to emulate him and I've never had a fit of rage directed at my kid. I will never understand why he treated me the way he did other than that that's how he was treated and it's a generational curse. One that I intend to break.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:49 PM

6,812 posts, read 6,978,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettykidsdad View Post
My parents are way better. My dad was ferocious and cruel with me. But he's never with my child without the calming presence of gramma. I haven't seen any bad behavior from him. So I'm happy for that. But he still doesnt "own" that a lot of my own anger issues, swearing, fighting, etc. came from watching him. Now that he's old I give him a pass and he takes it and acts ok. It's kind of like pardoning a war criminal.

But I do my best not to emulate him and I've never had a fit of rage directed at my kid. I will never understand why he treated me the way he did other than that that's how he was treated and it's a generational curse. One that I intend to break.
Having an abusive parent can work both ways.....you can emulate and continue the pattern, or it can make you a better parent because you know how NOT to act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents