Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:45 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You can read all about people's feelings about the rebel flag in another thread (or two), but it is correct that the previous flag that stood until last decade was introduced in 1956 as a means of showing support for segregation. Other southern states did similar things. It was racially motivated and had nothing to do with "heritage" or history.

As for Barnes having all these great plans, part of being a good politician and leader is being able to pass your agenda. I'm not great fan of Perdue, but I don't see Barnes as a solution to our problems. Just watching his latest commercials on TV makes me cringe. Typical Democrat ads...."I'll give you a bunch of stuff if you vote for me" but don't worry about where I get the money.
And nobody cringes at Republican ads? I'm going to cut this and cut that and lower this and lower that yet I'm still going to spend a crapload of money anyways... or maybe I'll just ignore the pressing issues since we "can't afford them" and "I can't come up with a creative solution anyways".

Honestly, can't this state for once just vote for a candidate (Democrat or Republican) who will actually work on solving the issues we face so Georgia can prosper again and keep our status as a top state in Southeast? Clearly it doesn't matter if they are Republican or Democrat - People think Barnes sucked, Sonny sucked, they all suck I guess!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 07:32 AM

328 posts, read 196,102 times
Look into Ray McBerry, Mike. Not saying you will like what he has to say but I do and am spreading the word where I can.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:22 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Wow, no wonder why this state can't get anywhere anymore. People are more concerned about a stupid flag instead of the actual problems facing Georgia (oh you know... like education, transportation, jobs, water, etc)
Nonsense. Most Georgians are indeed more concerned about these issues than about a flag. The people that were worked up about the flag were essentially a fringe group that represented a very small (but extremely vocal) % of the state. Naturally, the extremism of their views attracted undue attention from the media (doesn't it always?) and the issue was made to look like a much bigger deal than it actually was...if the issue was even on the radar of the average Georgian, it was because 1) he/she felt that a change of the flag was indeed in order, as the existing flag represented a knee-jerk reaction to federal anti-segregation policies in the 50's, and 2) there was irritation over the fact that Barnes cut the people out of the process altogether, which would have elicited the same reaction over any issue.
Barnes' failure to be re-elected was not primarily due to the flag issue, no matter how much he may try to mythologize it so.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:23 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
And nobody cringes at Republican ads? I'm going to cut this and cut that and lower this and lower that yet I'm still going to spend a crapload of money anyways... or maybe I'll just ignore the pressing issues since we "can't afford them" and "I can't come up with a creative solution anyways".

Honestly, can't this state for once just vote for a candidate (Democrat or Republican) who will actually work on solving the issues we face so Georgia can prosper again and keep our status as a top state in Southeast? Clearly it doesn't matter if they are Republican or Democrat - People think Barnes sucked, Sonny sucked, they all suck I guess!
Mike,
None of them light my fire.
I for ones see Barnes in the same light as Neil.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:31 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRGHOST View Post
Where did you get those numbers from? I am voting for McBerry and didn't even see him up there yet every poll I have seen that has been done has him surging towards the front.
By any chance was this the same guy who ran in the last election for Gov., or was it in the Presidential primary trying to get on the ballot?

Old 06-12-2010, 10:09 AM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Mike,
None of them light my fire.
I feel the same way. I'm just tired of having to decide between the lesser of two evils! This state needs better candidates.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
By any chance was this the same guy who ran in the last election for Gov., or was it in the Presidential primary trying to get on the ballot?
I believe he ran last time for Governor. I didn't live in Ga at the time so I didn't follow it real close.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:34 PM

Ray McBerry For Governor 2010! (http://www.georgiafirst.org/candidate/index.shtml - broken link)

Old 06-12-2010, 03:43 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRGHOST View Post
Ray McBerry For Governor 2010! (http://www.georgiafirst.org/candidate/index.shtml - broken link)
Read it.Was open.Now No way.Vote for Roy Barnes

I for one am weary about anyone that has to go on and on about how religious they are.Not only that people that swear they are "strict" anything ,are usually stubbornly stuck on their way only.

Anybody content on thinking "the old times" were the best times and thinks the old way is best,is not my candidate.

These type candidates are all the same.They talk about how government is regulating our lives,yet when it come to social liberties they insist their values and morals are whats best for everyone.When it really matters to remove "regulations" they neglect the ones that seem to support those in society who are already set for prosperity and success.

So no thank you but as a fellow American who wants what's best for their state and country."May the best man win".
Roy Barnes 2010

Old 06-12-2010, 03:53 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I wasn't here for that administration....he's the only Gov I missed over the past 30 years. I left in 1992 under Zell Miller and returned in 2007 under Perdue.

My feeling is someone who had 4 years in office and failed to achieve all the things he is promising now is not to be believed. If he failed to realize those plans with a majority of his own party in control of the state legislature, how will he do with what will most likely be a Republican majority in both houses?
Im not sure what you mean.I thought Roy Barnes to be a very effective leader.

Quote:
"Democrat Roy Barnes was one of the most powerful governors in history. His nickname "King Roy" was an affectionate term accorded him by supporters because he knew how to pull the levers and make things happen in the legislature. Barnes' Republican opponents used the term in a not-so-friendly manner, as a sort of slur."

Georgia Trend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia