Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2007, 03:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,998 times

Advertisements

I Want To Transfer My Job To Jacksonville From Nj. My Wife Picked To Live In St Marys, Ga If We Move. My Job Made Me An Offer, But I Don't Know If It's Enough. I See That Housing Is Cheaper There, But What About Utilities,car/ Home Insurance, Food, Gas Etc... What Is Considered A Good/ Great Salary Down In Ga. I Have A Family Of Five, Wife Stays Home.
Any Suggestions?

What To Do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 07:58 AM

100 posts, read 429,399 times
I moved to GA from NJ two years ago, so I can accurately compare.

1. Gas is always cheaper in NJ, but not by much. Maybe 5 cents per gallon on average.

2. Utilities are about the same, I would guess. I am less sure on this because I went from a drafty, 100yr old home in NJ with no central air to new construction 3x the size. My utility bills are about the same.

3. Car insurance is WAY cheaper. We used to spend $3300 in NJ for full coverage on a 96 Honda del Sol and a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Now we pay a total of $1800 for the same coverage on the same two cars PLUS a 2005 Honda CR-V! One caveat though, is that we pay ad valorem tax in GA on the value of your car every year when you renew your registration. It just cost me about $230 to renew the registration on the '05 CR-V, and $40 to renew the '96 del Sol.

4. Home owner's insurance is a little less, but nothing significant.

5. Food is the same. My grocery bill hasn't changed.

6. Property taxes - Here is where you save the most money compared to NJ! The average down here is roughly 1% of your home's assessed value, which unlike NJ is pretty close to the actual market value. So if you buy a $400k house, expect to pay up to $4000 in property taxes.

As for salary, that's a pretty broad question. It depends on what you do, how long you've been doing it, and how big the company is. If you are transferring, shouldn't you keep your current salary? If you keep your current salary, or go up, you'll do fine. If you can survive on your salary in NJ, you'll be very comfortable here.

Good luck!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:22 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Great info as we are looking into that area as well but as retired people...young retired people.

As for salry..it depends on who you work for..some companies salaries are based on demographics and you can actually end up with a decrease coming from NJ and moving south.

I believe, not entirely positive Fed Ex bases their salaries on demographics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia