Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2007, 04:15 AM

5 posts, read 26,119 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My brother is moving to the St. Marys area to start working at his new business and I might be joining him in a year or so. Any info on the St. Marys/Amelia Island/Kingsland area would be helpful. I understand it is growing a lot down there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 09:29 AM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
A big plus is that most of Georgias barrier islands have not been developed, and are mostly state owned: preserved and beautiful.there are no bridges. The Dunes have not been leveled and built upon. They are quite a marvel to see what the 3 dunes should be like on the developed islands. Visit Cumberland Island and hike through the dunes to the beach, awesome....................bring plenty of water! This is what sets the Georgia coast apart from the overdeveloped Fl and SC coasts.
Cumberland Island National Seashore
http://www.stmaryswelcome.com/cumbercvb.html
http://www.nps.gov/cuis

http://gastateparks.org/info/sapelo/
Sapelo Island can see virtually every facet of a barrier island's natural community, from the forested uplands, to the vast salt marsh, and the complex beach and dunes systems.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 8,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVirginiaRebel View Post
Hello all. My brother is moving to the St. Marys area to start working at his new business and I might be joining him in a year or so. Any info on the St. Marys/Amelia Island/Kingsland area would be helpful. I understand it is growing a lot down there. Thanks!
I can tell you basically anything you want to know... I've lived in the area all my life. I'm what you call a Home Girl. The area has grown and is growing by leaps and bounds. My daughter worked on Amelia Island, it's beautiful, full of celebrities and sport stars! To actually get on the island where the golf courses, restaurants and private spas are you have to have a pass.
I live in Kingsland, it is about 10 miles to St. Marys and Kings Bay Sub Base. Jacksonville, FL is only a 35 min. drive on Interstate 95. You've got Fernandina Beach which is about 30 min. away. That's nice if you like the whole beach thing... Hope this helped a little....

Old 03-22-2007, 09:51 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Ethans*Nana,

I would love as much info on the areas of St Marys, Brunswick et al that you could give. My husband and I are mid 50's looking to retire early.
We can not do this in NJ and still live the way we like. I've looked so many places I'm getting weary....some of my questions?

Possible part time jobs?? I'm customer service for a digital print company..hubby works for a major pharmecutical in HVAC

Possible business of my own...would love to operate a pet supply store.

Is Camden County "dry" as hubby likes to got out for an occasional beer and watch Nascar...I also like to go out for dinner with glass of wine.

Crime???? low or high? Drugs? I know this is all over but not as much a problem in some areas vs other areas...Gangs???

median age of residents??

How far from beach? Can you walk your dog on beach ( of course cleaning up after dog)

You can feel free to email me as well...just go to my pfofile.

Thank You
Kate

Old 11-10-2007, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 10,885 times
Default iNFO

I lived in the area for 10 years. The county is not dry. Only on Sunday. If I had to do it all over again I would have lived the entire time in Kingsland vice St Marys. Property taxes is higher in st marys and the people are much more rude. I would say only move there if you like small time living. Even though the area has grown it hasn't grown that much. There is nothing to do there for kids except the skating rink and bowling alley. THATS IT!

Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 PM

5 posts, read 29,480 times
I know this is an old post but if you are still willing to give advice. My husband is in the navy thinking of requesting a transfer to Kings Bay. We are hoping to go down and check out the area before making a decision about putting in an official request. Are there particular things we should see or do while down there? Would you recommend St. Mary's, Kingsland, Fernandina Beach for housing? Also, any really great restaurants we are into seafood and Italian as well as really good steak? There seems to be alot of talk about the different churches in the area, how are the more spiritually eclectic and non-religious accepted? I appreciate any advice you can give...oh, yeah and does the area need nurses as desperately as most of the country? I will be finishing my RN shortly before the potential move.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 47,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
A big plus is that most of Georgias barrier islands have not been developed, and are mostly state owned: preserved and beautiful.there are no bridges. The Dunes have not been leveled and built upon. They are quite a marvel to see what the 3 dunes should be like on the developed islands. Visit Cumberland Island and hike through the dunes to the beach, awesome....................bring plenty of water! This is what sets the Georgia coast apart from the overdeveloped Fl and SC coasts.
Cumberland Island National Seashore
[URL]http://www.stmaryswelcome.com/cumbercvb.html[/URL]
[url=http://www.nps.gov/cuis]Cumberland Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)[/url]

[url=http://gastateparks.org/info/sapelo/]Georgia State Parks - Sapelo Island Reserve and Reynolds Mansion[/url]
Sapelo Island can see virtually every facet of a barrier island's natural community, from the forested uplands, to the vast salt marsh, and the complex beach and dunes systems.
I am moving to St. Marys on Jan. 1st! I am looking to grow my business as well as build relationships with the lovely people of St. Marys! I am currently checking into residences and other opportunities there! Any and all help for myself and my 2 boys as well as I believe I have intrigued a female friend to move there with her sister & 2 boys! I visited in the past and loved the experience! I spoke with several business owners and companies about what I had to offer and was told I needed to bring the business there! I look forward to whatever help, insight, and etc anyone can help me with!

Thank you!

Andre

Old 12-24-2009, 09:00 AM

6 posts, read 47,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *ethans*nana* View Post
I can tell you basically anything you want to know... I've lived in the area all my life. I'm what you call a Home Girl. The area has grown and is growing by leaps and bounds. My daughter worked on Amelia Island, it's beautiful, full of celebrities and sport stars! To actually get on the island where the golf courses, restaurants and private spas are you have to have a pass.
I live in Kingsland, it is about 10 miles to St. Marys and Kings Bay Sub Base. Jacksonville, FL is only a 35 min. drive on Interstate 95. You've got Fernandina Beach which is about 30 min. away. That's nice if you like the whole beach thing... Hope this helped a little....
I am moving to St. Marys on Jan. 1st! I am looking to grow my business as well as build relationships with the lovely people of St. Marys! I am currently checking into residences and other opportunities there! Any and all help for myself and my 2 boys as well as I believe I have intrigued a female friend to move there with her sister & 2 boys! I visited in the past and loved the experience! I spoke with several business owners and companies about what I had to offer and was told I needed to bring the business there! I look forward to whatever help, insight, and etc anyone can help me with!

Thank you!

Andre

Old 08-07-2011, 07:30 AM

3 posts, read 18,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timarceo View Post
I lived in the area for 10 years. The county is not dry. Only on Sunday. If I had to do it all over again I would have lived the entire time in Kingsland vice St Marys. Property taxes is higher in st marys and the people are much more rude. I would say only move there if you like small time living. Even though the area has grown it hasn't grown that much. There is nothing to do there for kids except the skating rink and bowling alley. THATS IT!
Thank you for your info. Is it possible for you to say more? We are being transferred to kings bay, and I am looking for a family friendly area (we have two boys 8 and 4), and would prefer a neighborhood with many children. Thank you

Old 08-08-2011, 12:38 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenhnl View Post
Thank you for your info. Is it possible for you to say more? We are being transferred to kings bay, and I am looking for a family friendly area (we have two boys 8 and 4), and would prefer a neighborhood with many children. Thank you
You DO realize you are responding to a post that is 4 years old, right??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia