Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2008, 05:59 PM

7 posts, read 36,448 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating from a long year in Orlando-I would like to get away from the tourists, crime, etc. Would Athens be a cool place to be? Yea, it's a college town but I'm divorced, in my 'young 40's' and would would probably go to every football game! Just looking for a safe place to call home.

Interested in churches, shopping and good restaurants.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 07:40 PM

262 posts, read 789,845 times
I replied to you in another thread as well. I had read about a year back that Athens is safer than many other places its size. There are some bad spots, just like any other

Google search: online athens police blotter
if you want to keep track.
They may report surrounding counties as well there, so look for the area they are talking about.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:42 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,462 times
Default Define Safe

Seriously, what does "safe" mean to you? Are we crime free? NO. Just yesterday or the day before a UGA student was held at gunpoint on North Campus near the arches so the paper says. But most of the crime is muggings, burglaries (esp student cars with laptops sitting around). There is a lot of public housing near the campus and in downtown. Guess where the crime comes from? The deal is, most of the crime occurs after midnight and before dawn. Hint: lock your doors with good locks and chains and sleep when the crime is going on.

As this economy dissolves, people get more desperate. Certain groups are more desperate than others. Beware.

You can get hurt here. We have lots of wrecks (cellphones and text messaging while driving dad's suv). Two coeds fell out of the back of an on campus bus. Bicyclists are being whacked occasionally. And the list goes on.

Athens is what it is. A fairly decent place to live IF you can afford it.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:43 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,462 times
Default p.s.

You want football tickets? Are you rich? Well connected? Coach's nephew? You better show up at the game with lots of cash in hand for the scalpers. And beware, lots of counterfeiting of tickets.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:11 AM

313 posts, read 1,148,631 times
My brother in law works in law enforcement in Clark County in which Athens is located. Yes there is alot of crime in those areas that border the campus for the previous reasons stated.

However, my brother inlaw and and his wife lived there for a few yrs after they graduated from UGA. They had a rental house in a decent established neighborhood...and I am so sorry I cannot remember the part of town....but it wasnt close to the campus, maybe 10 minutes away. They really enjoyed it.

When they decided to buy a house and start their family....they did so in Jefferson, GA which about 20 minutes away(towards to I85) from Athens....schools are better there and it has a small town everyone knows you kinda feel. It is a town that has a big church presence...in that is how you get to know people is by going to church. Both my brother inlaw and his wife work in Athens.

I think for a single person like yourself or couple without kids...Athens would a good spot if you could live in an area that wasnt close to the crime. I am sure there would be enough churches, shopping and restaurants around to keep you engaged. Athens has a mall and a Walmart...and they probably have a Target too.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:07 AM

37 posts, read 156,811 times
The only way you might not be safe in Athens is if you are relocating from Tuscaloosa, Knoxville, Gainesville, Baton Rouge, Columbia SC, or Auburn.

A name like Tony the Tiger (Auburn/LSU) doesn't help...try something like Tonydawg, or TDAWG or anything with DAWG behind it, and you'll be fine.

Seriously, I think Athens is a pretty cool town as college towns go. Say hi to Knowshon for me when you see him on his little scooter.

and...ahem...GO DAWGS!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:53 PM

5 posts, read 28,768 times
Athens is VERY safe! I love Athens! I never had any problems there and lived on all sides of the city.
It's much safer than Atlanta, and it's a great place to have a family. Sure, there are your everyday student accidents, and d.u.i's, but it's typical on a college campus. There is some theft and minor crimes, but nothing major. You should 100% not be afraid to move there, in fact, I'd move back right now if the job was right. Athens has the best of Atlanta in a small town with less crime. You still have culture, art, recreation, and a relaxing life, but you also have access to a great and well-funded university.
It isn't 'just' a college town either. There are areas more dedicated to students, but most of the parks and recreation are available to all people. Artists, musicians, and business people live and work in Athens. The food is awesome as well!
Shopping: All your major super-stores are there, the mall, outdoor stores, furniture etc. Downtown provides even more trendy, artsy stores for more designer pieces.
Food: All you major restaurant chains, plus (the best)Inoko and Inoko Express, and other locally owned restarants. You can't miss picking a nice restraurant downtown, East/West Bistro and others are so delicious!
I hear their are some good churches as well. I can't remember the name of it, but there is a big I think Baptist church in Athens that is very well known for it's preaching and activities.
Good Luck and have fun! You won't regret your move to Athens!
Just wanted to say, compared to Orlando it has less crime. It's also has more independent culture and a small town feel. There is not as much to do attraction/entertainment wise, but you'll more than make up for it in wholesome traditional activities like culture and football.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:12 PM

65 posts, read 103,234 times
Ok so for those who know Athens well. I grew up in NJ, now live in Clearwater Florida, tired of the beach and tourist scene. Im a preppy kind of lady, looking for a friendly place with affordable rents, what side of town should i avoid and is there somewhere better like Jefferson, Ga,???

What areas should i avoid to be safe both living and working? Is there an LA fitness or something like it? I know you have to travel to Braselton for whole foods which is a bummer, but they seem to have a trader joes's.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:59 PM

81 posts, read 350,369 times
We do have a Trader Joes & an Aldis and we also have a Fresh Market and EarthFare - which compare to Whole Foods. There are lots of small towns around that offer different options, just depending on what you are looking for. Rents intown Athens tend to be a little high, due to the student population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia