Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:36 AM

56 posts, read 145,837 times

Advertisements

(Hi...I am posting this in GA, NC, SC, and TN...interested in all areas!)

Hello! My husband and I are interested in moving to SC, NC, GA or TN...we want to live in or very close to the mountains (hiking!) however, would also like the conveniences of a city. (i.e. Target, grocery store, restaurants, good schools, etc.)
Does this exist?
THANK YOU for your time and help. We have been researching lately and can't find anything like this. Hubby is a firefighter...so I larger city is necessary for his work (to have a decent salary) however, we love the mountains. Any advice or recommendations is MUCH appreciated. Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 12:40 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Gainesville and Dalton are the larger mountain cities in GA; honestly, if I were you, I'd shoot for Asheville, NC...my favorite town of any size in that area.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:20 PM

thanks, lovindecatur!
I will definitely check out all three of those. I really appreciate your recommendations.
When you know nothing about where you are moving it can be overwhelming and intimidating. I appreciate you taking the time to help!!
Have a great night!

Old 03-15-2008, 08:29 AM

102 posts, read 504,211 times
GottaGetOut....I would check out the NW corner of GA. You would be very close to Chattanooga, TN (I think about 20 mins away from say Chickamauga). It's a beautiful area and much less expensive than anywhere in NC. We are moving that way from central NC in June and are very excited. Take a look at Walker County and Dade County in NW Ga. I think you will like what you find. Good luck to you.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:34 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Another option is NE GA/SC.

Near Lake Hartwell--Hartwell, Lavonia, Toccoa

Currahee Mountain>>>
Currahee Mountain - Toccoa, Georgia (http://www.screamingeagles.com/Images/Photo_Illus/CurraheeMtn.html - broken link)

Toccoa Trails>>>
Toccoa Trails | Toccoa Parks | Georgia

bhs

Old 03-15-2008, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 5,830 times
Smile North Georgia Mountains

Gainesville Georgia is a very nice area as well. They do have a good size fire department. It also puts you within 1 hour of Atlanta. Hall County(that is where Gainesville is located) is now part of the metro area but approx 1 hour north is where tha Appalachian mountains begin. Very beautiful area. Get the best of both worlds.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:39 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,766,936 times
You might also look into the Tri-Cities of TN/VA, which is a little over an hour from Asheville, NC. Johnson City, Kingsport, and Bristol are all medium-sized cities and are definitely in the mountains. There are also many small, quaint, artsy little towns surrounding them which are fun to visit on weekends. Lots of hiking, kayaking/canoeing, whitewhater rafting, music, local arts and crafts, great foods, etc. in the area too.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:49 PM

WOW! Thankyou everyone! You have given us lots of GREAT options and places to concider and research. My husband and I will be driving up next month to check out some of these spots. Now the only hard part...choosing which to visit! HA! They ALL sound wonderful!

Thank you so much and feel free to keep 'em coming if anyone has anymore suggestions.

Also, I didnt' think Gainesville was in the mountains...am I mistaken?
Thank you!!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:19 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGetOuttaFL View Post

Thank you!!!!
It's not 'in' the mountains, but right up against them...mountain towns like Cleveland, Helen, etc would be an easy commute.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:30 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,105,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGetOuttaFL View Post
WOW! Thankyou everyone! You have given us lots of GREAT options and places to concider and research. My husband and I will be driving up next month to check out some of these spots. Now the only hard part...choosing which to visit! HA! They ALL sound wonderful!

Thank you so much and feel free to keep 'em coming if anyone has anymore suggestions.

Thank you!!!!
Yeah, its not in the mountains, but it is close enough to see them in the distance. It's about a 45 minute drive to the actual mountain areas north of Cleveland and Helen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia