Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 02:48 PM

77 posts, read 99,110 times

Advertisements

Hello. My family and I are very interested in relocating to Georgia. Currently we live in Alaska however we are from the Phoenix, AZ area. We want out of Alaska and have the option of just about anywhere in the US to live right now. I have been to GA quite a few times and I liked it.

Here's what we are interested in: We love green landscape (grass, trees, hills etc, tired of the AZ brown look...). I know it's humid in summer and that's fine. Weather isn't as important to us. I mean we've gone from AZ to AK and have managed just fine with the weather differences.

We don't want to live in a city (Atlanta, Athens, Macon etc) we like smaller 'burb' type towns, but close enough to a city. So my wife and daughters can get to a mall and we can see a concert or sporting event etc every now and again without having to plan a real trip to do so.

Good high schools are important. We have two teenage daughters and their education is very important to us. The current school they go to is just horrible and I'll leave it at that for now. Just need an active school that offers a lot of programs, activities etc. Our grand daughter also lives with us full time and she will be starting kindergarten next year so also good elem. schools and a good family town.

Obviously lower crime rate is a huge plus.

I really miss bass fishing so somewhere close to a nice lake where I can get out do some fishing would be nice.

affordable living ie.. rent, real estate, utilities, groceries etc. Utilities and Groceries is really important to us, so any estimates etc. would be greatly appreciated. For example: Utilities on a 2000 Sq' home.. etc. with a family of 5.

We have looked at the Canton, Woodstock & Marietta areas as well as southern area's of Lake Lanier. And we really like the idea's of any of those towns.

Just looking for input from anyone that lives in those area's. And open to suggestions of any other communities/towns we may not have looked into yet.
Thank you

Last edited by Ryant73; 01-06-2015 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 02:22 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,508,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryant73 View Post
Hello. My family and I are very interested in relocating to Georgia. Currently we live in Alaska however we are from the Phoenix, AZ area. We want out of Alaska and have the option of just about anywhere in the US to live right now. I have been to GA quite a few times and I liked it.

Here's what we are interested in: We love green landscape (grass, trees, hills etc, tired of the AZ brown look...). I know it's humid in summer and that's fine. Weather isn't as important to us. I mean we've gone from AZ to AK and have managed just fine with the weather differences.

We don't want to live in a city (Atlanta, Athens, Macon etc) we like smaller 'burb' type towns, but close enough to a city. So my wife and daughters can get to a mall and we can see a concert or sporting event etc every now and again without having to plan a real trip to do so.

Good high schools are important. We have two teenage daughters and their education is very important to us. The current school they go to is just horrible and I'll leave it at that for now. Just need an active school that offers a lot of programs, activities etc. Our grand daughter also lives with us full time and she will be starting kindergarten next year so also good elem. schools and a good family town.

Obviously lower crime rate is a huge plus.

I really miss bass fishing so somewhere close to a nice lake where I can get out do some fishing would be nice.

affordable living ie.. rent, real estate, utilities, groceries etc. Utilities and Groceries is really important to us, so any estimates etc. would be greatly appreciated. For example: Utilities on a 2000 Sq' home.. etc. with a family of 5.

We have looked at the Canton, Woodstock & Marietta areas as well as southern area's of Lake Lanier. And we really like the idea's of any of those towns.

Just looking for input from anyone that lives in those area's. And open to suggestions of any other communities/towns we may not have looked into yet.
Thank you
The important question that you need to answer is where in Georgia will you and/or any other adults in the family be working?

This is important because the traffic can be (and will be) quite the challenge in Georgia. Traffic will particularly be a challenge within about 40 miles or so of Atlanta (...traffic on many days will be MUCH WORSE than you may have ever even thought of experiencing in the Phoenix area)....Which means attempting to live as close as possible to one's job is very important so that one can attempt to spend as little time as possible in North Georgia/Metro Atlanta traffic.

Knowing where in Georgia you will be working is also important because the job market continues to be somewhat shaky in Georgia in the continuing aftermath of the very severe economic downturn of the late 2000's-early 2010's in which Georgia was hit extremely hard.

You'll want to make sure that you have a really steady and very adequate source of income established before moving to Georgia.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:21 AM

77 posts, read 99,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The important question that you need to answer is where in Georgia will you and/or any other adults in the family be working?

This is important because the traffic can be (and will be) quite the challenge in Georgia. Traffic will particularly be a challenge within about 40 miles or so of Atlanta (...traffic on many days will be MUCH WORSE than you may have ever even thought of experiencing in the Phoenix area)....Which means attempting to live as close as possible to one's job is very important so that one can attempt to spend as little time as possible in North Georgia/Metro Atlanta traffic.

Knowing where in Georgia you will be working is also important because the job market continues to be somewhat shaky in Georgia in the continuing aftermath of the very severe economic downturn of the late 2000's-early 2010's in which Georgia was hit extremely hard.

You'll want to make sure that you have a really steady and very adequate source of income established before moving to Georgia.
"We want out of Alaska and have the option of just about anywhere in the US to live right now." I work in Alaska and will continue to do so. I work a 2 week on, 2 week off schedule, so I have the option of living just about anywhere a plane will take me..(within reason of course).

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia