Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 11:38 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Georgia two weeks ago and I found out I need to pay 7% of my vehicle's market value (~$1200) to register the car here. Kind of ridiculous, imo.

I am in the process of buying a new car (and in-turn, trading in my old car from NY) that will have the GA title. Unfortunately, the car is being built and shipped to the US and it maybe a few months until it gets here. I am being quoted an August delivery.

I know you need to get the car registered/titled in GA within 30 days of being a resident. Is there any sort of waiver or something I can do to not pay the $1200 twice (once for old car that I am currently driving, once for the new car)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 02:00 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times
The only advice I have is to check with the staff at your County's tag office. IF there are any loopholes in the system, they are likely to know about them. My experience with these people, from two counties, is that they tend to be very helpful.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
The only advice I have is to check with the staff at your County's tag office. IF there are any loopholes in the system, they are likely to know about them. My experience with these people, from two counties, is that they tend to be very helpful.
Thanks. I just honestly can't afford (more like don't want to?) 50% of 1200$ when I am getting rid of the car in a few months.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:30 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times
If you register the car under the new law, you will have to pay the fee. Your alternative is to keep driving on your NY registration until you get rid of the vehicle. You might get caught, you might not. I imagine the cost of the ticket is considerably less than 1200 bucks. You might even get a warning. Much depends on where you will be living. Where I live we have loads of out of state tags due to student population. Of course if you do get stopped and you produce a GA driver's license rather than a NY one, then the conversation will be longer.

Choices, choices. I have known folks who drove on a dealer drive out, cardboard plate for months and months. Just depends on your luck.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
If you register the car under the new law, you will have to pay the fee. Your alternative is to keep driving on your NY registration until you get rid of the vehicle. You might get caught, you might not. I imagine the cost of the ticket is considerably less than 1200 bucks. You might even get a warning. Much depends on where you will be living. Where I live we have loads of out of state tags due to student population. Of course if you do get stopped and you produce a GA driver's license rather than a NY one, then the conversation will be longer.

Choices, choices. I have known folks who drove on a dealer drive out, cardboard plate for months and months. Just depends on your luck.
I ended up picking a different car and I should take delivery of the car next week, just inside the 30 day window hopefully. If not, it will be only a few days outside the 30 days. No big deal.

Much better than waiting until the end of August and rolling the dice driving up and down 400 every day.

Thanks

Old 05-18-2013, 07:11 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
There are always loopholes. There just aren't very good ones. There is the one you suggested, or there is the option of driving a car from out of state (and taking it across state lines every 29 days or so for an entire day so that you aren't legally required to get a Georgia tag). TN doesn't have ad vaolurm at all, so that state would be an option.

By the way, dealerships pushed hard for this law because they were losing sales of new cars to private parties due to the advent of craiglist.

Listen to this story to see how corrupt the system of laws is when it comes to car dealerships - http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/...-never-changes

Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Add someone name that lives in ny to your title so you can keep the ny tag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia