Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2011, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,471 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am a resident of Georgia and have a GA license. I am planning to buy a car in Kansas from my friend and spend the summer in Oklahoma. I will be back to GA in August.

As I see it, there are multiple options that I have for titling and registering my car. Can somebody here please advise me which would be the best and most economical process for me?

1. Get temporary 30 day license in KS; Register car in OK. Register car again when I come back to GA

2. Ask my friend to send the title to me in GA, and register the car in GA. Take license plate with me when I go to KS to take possession of the car.

3. Use temporary license in KS and OK; Come back to GA and register car.

4. Open to any other ideas as well?

Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 04:02 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,033,857 times
I think option 2 is the best... IF you are not in the IM check areas. Also check to make sure KS has titles, not all states have them.

Option 2 will save you the most $'s,

also many states don't issue TEMP plates for private sales, Only sales from dealers. (hense all the cardbroad plates we see round GA that are hand witten "tag applied for"

Old 04-30-2011, 05:07 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,577,164 times
I'm guessing the ONLY option is #2. I also suggest you have the seller send you a copy of the title via email so you can make sure that it is a valid title and determine how many owners are on the title and to be assured any liens have been satisfied. If all is ok, then warn them to make sure they sign off on conveying the title in the correct places on the title. If it gets messed up, then you will have a pen pal relationship trying to get them to sign off and have notarized other documents.

I cannot be a 100 per cent sure, but registering a car in a state where you are not a resident could be impossible. Also, some of those states may collect a sales tax even on a private sale. GA does not.

For the best information, go to your local tag office or Tax Commissioner office and ask.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,471 times
Thank you for your replies. Option 2 will indeed seems to be the simplest, but can anyone comment on the emissions requirement of GA. Can I have the car emissions inspected in KS and use it for GA registration? FYI, the car I am buying is 2010 model and I dont know if it can classify as new and hence have the emissions waived.

Hoping everything goes smooth!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,119,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliamna View Post
Thank you for your replies. Option 2 will indeed seems to be the simplest, but can anyone comment on the emissions requirement of GA. Can I have the car emissions inspected in KS and use it for GA registration? FYI, the car I am buying is 2010 model and I dont know if it can classify as new and hence have the emissions waived.

Hoping everything goes smooth!
Emissions requirements in GA vary from county to county.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:35 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,722,199 times
GA has a 3 year model year exemption for emissions so any model from 2009 and up are fine. No need for emissions.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:32 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,448,407 times
Last year I brought a '98 Jeep back from Alabama and had no problem getting it registered. I wasn't aware there were any requirements in Georgia regarding emisisons. I live in Macon, though, maybe in ATL there are?

Old 05-07-2011, 02:55 AM

Location: Valdosta, GA (Northside), grew up in Emmitsburg, MD
94 posts, read 353,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Last year I brought a '98 Jeep back from Alabama and had no problem getting it registered. I wasn't aware there were any requirements in Georgia regarding emisisons. I live in Macon, though, maybe in ATL there are?
No emissions in Valdosta either. Thing I like about GA though, is no inspection fee every dang year.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:34 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,379,572 times
Emissions counties in GA:

Cherokee
Clayton
Cobb
Coweta
DeKalb
Douglas
Fayette
Forsyth
Fulton
Gwinnett
Henry
Paulding (new as of this year)
Rockdale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia