Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 7,600 times

Advertisements

Hi!!! I am a single mother of three kids ages 10, 8 and 3 who is currently a student and not working. I am considering relocating to Roswell, Ga for cheaper living and great schools. I have a fourth almost fifth grader and a second almost third grader. I will be possibly transferring from rental community in Md to community in Roswell. So I have a place to live. I am trying to find work in Payroll/Admin area. I am finishing up my AA degree in Accounting so I hope to find a job with my 9 years of experience.Is there any jobs available in Roswell? I have a car so commuting is not a concern. I have some money available-maybe enough for three months to live off. I am confused on whether to take a leap of faith and move or stay in Maryland. What about the unemployment rate? Is it high? I am wondering will I be able to adjust to a new state without a job right away...I will appreciate all feedback..

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:47 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomakeitwork View Post
Hi!!! I am a single mother of three kids ages 10, 8 and 3 who is currently a student and not working. I am considering relocating to Roswell, Ga for cheaper living and great schools. I have a fourth almost fifth grader and a second almost third grader. I will be possibly transferring from rental community in Md to community in Roswell. So I have a place to live. I am trying to find work in Payroll/Admin area. I am finishing up my AA degree in Accounting so I hope to find a job with my 9 years of experience.Is there any jobs available in Roswell? I have a car so commuting is not a concern. I have some money available-maybe enough for three months to live off. I am confused on whether to take a leap of faith and move or stay in Maryland. What about the unemployment rate? Is it high? I am wondering will I be able to adjust to a new state without a job right away...I will appreciate all feedback..

thanks
Roswell is metro Atlanta.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roswell,_Georgia
I don't know what your idea of 'cheaper living' is but Roswell is an upscale community. There are some good schools in this area but education in GA has suffered severe budget cuts. Many former teachers are now looking for jobs because several school systems lack funding for salaries and programs.
http://gaeducation.blogspot.com/2010...ther-year.html

There is considerable unemployment here and I would be terrified to move here w/o a job. 'Leaps of Faith' should be taken after solid research--ie--you are offered several good jobs and have formulated contigency plans for surviving.

I once compiled all the job search FYI I could find in this thread--you might get some ideas about locating employment from it.>>>>
https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ee-county.html

hth

Last edited by TakeAhike; 06-10-2010 at 06:01 AM..

Old 06-16-2010, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the information and advice TakeAhike!!! I am still doing my research and job hunting. Hopefully, I will find a job first...If not then, I will be stuck in Maryland without job.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:29 AM

18 posts, read 37,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomakeitwork View Post

thanks
Ah Charm City, how I miss her.

Ok here is the deal that area is nice but too high for living in GA. I know B-more is high as all heck to live in now. Here are somethings to consider before you move.
1. You will take a cut in pay because the cost of living here is low and the pay will reflect that.
2. There is work but you will have to get your grind on but come on you should be use to that right?
3. Unemployment is high everywhere but if you got know how and are not picky you can find work.
4. What have you got to lose by trying but you have everything to gain.
There are so many programs to help you get back on your feet check Ga.gov Human Services
5. Your Kids will get a dam better education (I still have nightmares about going to Edmonson h.s.) in school and don't forget Atlanta a city so rich in history.
6. The only downside is no hacks, chicken box, crabs, or half and half but who cares Soul food and BBQ rules.

I would suggest Lithonia (Dekalb County), where I live the rent is cheap and the area is like living in Randallstown, Woodlawn or White Marsh. I have not lived in B-more for over 7 yrs so hopefully they are still nice areas.

I live in a split-level 3br 2 full ba detached house in a cul-de-sac. I pay $800 ish mo rent which is the going rate here. Back in Charm City I would be easily paying $2,500 + mo to live near Frankfort Ave on eastside. I checked before I moved here.

The neighbors are nice and the schools are great. I have a 8 yr in the 3rd grade, 18 yr who starts G.P.C in the fall and I start Dekalb Tech in 2 weeks.

I have had only one problem since I have been here and that was my husband's own fault someone(teenagers) broke into his truck last month because he left his TomTom in the window. But you know what that could have happened anywhere.
Be Brave and Good Luck.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 PM

14 posts, read 38,378 times
My husband and I just relocated to Baltimore from Roswell due to the unemployment... cost of living is def cheaper in Roswell (and it is a safe city as well for the most part) but your pay will be lower too... however, we found that even with a pay cut we would have been struggling less had we stayed in Atlanta... it was just an issue of finding a job there

I would recommend finding a job before you move down there, alot of my friends from metro Atlanta (recent college graduates) have had to relocate to other states due to their job situation

Old 06-24-2010, 11:45 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
I lived in Roswell for a few years. I don't have a family, but there are several parks that were full of families each evening. Great place.

For work, try some temporary staffing agencies. There are lots and lots of retail establishments near the North Point mall in nearby Alpharetta. Perhaps a poster who lives in the area can comment on whether or not these places are hiring. Those two things could get you by while you look for permanent work.

Last year I read an article that stated Roswell was the safest city in the nation.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:14 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Last year I read an article that stated Roswell was the safest city in the nation.
That would be interesting to see given that "city" can refer to towns in the middle of nowhere that have very little crime.

I found this:

Roswell named safe place to live!

but it doesn't give a date.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:48 AM

redraven_y2k, thanks for the great insight. I am definitely looking for work all over. Bmore is still Bmore. I live near Randallstown now. I am paying over $1000 for a two bedroom apartment. Crazy right!!! I will look into Lithona. My mother wants me to consider moving to PA since it is closer to Md. @Asianfairy, I think that would be best to get a job and then move. I am having trouble finding jobs that are willing to hire an applicant in another state. Do you know of any companies? @DaBurgh, I didn't think about temporary jobs. It is a thought though. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia