Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:40 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Sweet tea is hard to find (much less good sweet tea).
Just to clarify I meant in Rolla, I can find sweet tea pretty much everywhere from Cape on south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 09:44 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
The Mason-Dixon line doesn't go past West Virginia, so how could it go through Illinois?

Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
The Mason-Dixon line doesn't go past West Virginia, so how could it go through Illinois?
For some unfathomable reason, some people think it goes across the entire country, go figure!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Haha I dont get it either.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I'd say it passes through between Carbondale and Cairo in Little Egypt.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'd say it passes through between Carbondale and Cairo in Little Egypt.
Well Alexander County, Illinois is southern (Cairo is located in Alexander County). Cotton was actually grown there in the past. The southernmost 3 counties in Illinois are the only ones that I would consider to really be a majority of southern culture. (Alexander, Pulaski and Massac). Southern Illinois as a whole has southern influences, however. In the summertime I spend alot of time over in Alexander County (great spot for bowfishin when it floods) and you'll hear the same accents you hear in the upper bootheel of Missouri and the surrounding areas in the purchase region of Kentucky. I see rebel flags over there alot as well.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:01 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Well Alexander County, Illinois is southern (Cairo is located in Alexander County). Cotton was actually grown there in the past. The southernmost 3 counties in Illinois are the only ones that I would consider to really be a majority of southern culture. (Alexander, Pulaski and Massac). Southern Illinois as a whole has southern influences, however. In the summertime I spend alot of time over in Alexander County (great spot for bowfishin when it floods) and you'll hear the same accents you hear in the upper bootheel of Missouri and the surrounding areas in the purchase region of Kentucky. I see rebel flags over there alot as well.
Isn't it amazing that Clarksdale, MS, the 'home' of the blues is so near the state that Chicago is in?

Old 02-10-2011, 02:03 AM

129 posts, read 583,643 times
Believe it or not half of the state of Oregon was south of the Mason-Dixon line.. It is just that the line makes a jump over several territories and restarts in Oregon.. Southern Oregon /Northern Cali was officially the State of Jefferson.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Isn't it amazing that Clarksdale, MS, the 'home' of the blues is so near the state that Chicago is in?
Probably weird to most. I've lived in Cape Girardeau County my whole life so I'm used to it. It is also weird to some people that the bootheel is about an hour away from Mississippi, and that the people down there get their news from Jonesboro, Arkansas or Memphis rather than Cape Girardeau. When I think of Missouri, the thoughts that come to mind to me are probably not what 95% of the other people from Missouri think of. It never crossed my mind when I was young that most of the state wasn't like SE Missouri. Whenever we'd go to Kentucky Lake or Nashville or any places like that I always felt right at home but most of Missouri is actually in contrast to Kentucky and Tennessee.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,395 times
Missouri and Kentucky are definitely below the mason dixon line because of their standing as slave states and southern culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.