Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:13 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,033,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
There are southern influences in much of the midwest. Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and southern Michigan seem to have the most southern influence of all midwest areas because those places were the destination of southerners moving north for jobs in the early 20th century. Alot of the auto workers in Detroit were southern transplants, heck there are several old country songs that reference this fact. To this day there are blue collar suburbs of Detroit that seem to have a bit of a southern drawl to them. There is one city down that way called Taylor Michigan, people jokingly call it "taylortucky". This is due to the large number of people who moved there from Kentucky during the mass migration north. I live out in the center of Michigan far from Detroit and the automotive areas, and even here many people I know (myself included) are the decendents of people who moved north during the boom days of Michigan. Having said that, the midwest is still the midwest. No part of Ohio, Indiana, or Illinios is southern. Just because there are southern influences does not mean ANY part of the midwest is south of Mason Dixon. (as pointed out earlier, mason dixon seperates only Maryland and Pa anyway) Here in Michigan we may have some historical southern influence, (like Il, Ind and Ohio do) but your much more likely to hear the phrase youbetcha, than Yall. After all, this IS the midwest, so its midwest culture that is dominant.
Growing up, I've heard Lansing referred to as Lansingtucky before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 11:04 PM

4 posts, read 10,897 times
I have seen a map of Illinois where the Mason-Dixon lines runs through it. It has been many years ago and have not been able to find it on the internet, but it cuts through the south edge of Alton, Illinois -- thus making everything south of that south of the Mason-Dixon line, including Edwardsville, Collinsville, Granite City, Carbondale, Cairo, etc. south of it; and everything north of Alton including Godfrey, Jerseyville, Springfield, etc. north of the Mason-Dixon line. I think it cuts almost straight across the state there to somewhere close to Vincennes, IN. I think I saw it in the Museum on Broadway in Alton, Illinois, but am not sure. There used to be an old Civil War prison where State Street meets Broadway near the riverroad, and that was in the north. Prior to the civil war, Alton was instrumental in the "Underground Railroad." The underground railroad was a technically was a theoretical route for runaway slaves to be ushered to the north and freedom, but it also is comprised of miles and miles of tunnels that run all under Alton, which just making it to Alton alone was not enough to assume freedom, even though it is a northern state on most general maps. Thus, Illinois was bisected by the Mason-Dixon line, and freedom for slaves was not assumed until they reached just north of Alton, Illinois, above the Mason-Dixon line.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:10 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,765,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I should have said I-70 east of Colorado.
You should have just said I-64, and then you'd be right.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Consider where that line is located between PA and MD today. The inverse effect, if anything, is what I have experienced, traveling away from Baltimore northwest, once you get into Pennsylvania, that's when the confederate flags begin to emerge.
That could be the Gettysburg effect. Gettysburg is northwest of Baltimore, and they have lots of Civil War reenactments there. I imagine there are plenty of Sons of Confederate Veterans there.

I drove through Somerset, Bedford and Blair Counties in southcentral Pennsylvania about three weeks ago, and I saw zero Confederate flags anywhere.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:26 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,667,754 times
Certainly it does It's called the I-80.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:01 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,026,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Once you get below I-70 you start hearing a true Southern accent in states like Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.
I dont know why people keep insisting that anything below I-70 in Missouri is the South.
It most certainly is NOT. In SE Mo, one has to go all the way down to Cape Girardeau to get any sense of the South at all.
North of that, SE Mo is solidly Midwestern.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I dont know why people keep insisting that anything below I-70 in Missouri is the South.
It most certainly is NOT. In SE Mo, one has to go all the way down to Cape Girardeau to get any sense of the South at all.
North of that, SE Mo is solidly Midwestern.
You didn't get the memo? Rural areas in Northern states are now part of the South.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:33 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,596,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
IMO Illinois does have southern Characteristics. Cairo is far closer to Memphis than Chicago. Not to mention it's south of Paducah! Always felt southern influence in Indiana too.
Cairo is also farther south than Richmond, VA.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 10,897 times
I think "the south" is pretty much defined as either where slavery was promoted all the way up to the civil war, and where the Jim Crow Laws prevailed after the Civil War all the way through 1964 when they were laid to rest by president Lyndon Johnson. St. Louis was an active participant in the Jim Crow Laws, and turned down legislation against black lynching even as late as 1922. I don't know how anyone might possibly even consider that it is not part of what is determined as "the South." The Rise and Fall of Jim Crow. A National Struggle . The Congress | PBS

Old 10-13-2010, 06:41 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,026,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokiach View Post
I think "the south" is pretty much defined as either where slavery was promoted all the way up to the civil war, and where the Jim Crow Laws prevailed after the Civil War all the way through 1964 when they were laid to rest by president Lyndon Johnson. St. Louis was an active participant in the Jim Crow Laws, and turned down legislation against black lynching even as late as 1922. I don't know how anyone might possibly even consider that it is not part of what is determined as "the South." The Rise and Fall of Jim Crow. A National Struggle . The Congress | PBS
I grew up in the STL area, its NOT southern, and neither is Missouri, save for the bootheel.
You dont even know what you dont know.....
How much time have you spent there?

New York had Jim Crow laws, that fits in with your definition of the South, doesnt it?

Last edited by kshe95girl; 10-13-2010 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.