Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:59 AM

316 posts, read 654,690 times

Advertisements

Most unique = Seattle
Most beautiful = any city out west with the rockies in the background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 10:18 AM

25 posts, read 35,688 times
I agree with NYC being unique.

Beauty... Seattle, or somewhere in Utah with mountain views.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:27 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1california View Post
I personally love cities like Santa Barbara , California that have a uniqueness all there own and are strikingly beautiful and the entire city has on overall theme and look that is very cohesive through out the city . My other favorite city would be Charleston S.C. A very unique , authentic , city that in many regards has a European feel and quality about it , with very old and beautifully preserved architecture through out the city with intimate gardens and back alleys similar to many European cities . What would your favorite cites be and why ?
Well, we are totally on the same page...those are two of the first cities that came to my mind as well.

I'll add:

Savannah,GA - an old world feel, what makes it unique is its' 'square' layout.
Miami Beach, FL - unique because of its' Art Deco architecture.
Sedona, AZ - quintessentially Southwestern; love the 'New Age' vibe there.
New Orleans, LA - unique because of the fusion of French, American and Caribbean style.
Key West,FL - the apotheosis of quirky Caribbean style.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:00 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,357,512 times
By some measures, Seattle is the most unique. For diversity in thought, definitely. For ethnic diversity, no.

Beauty: All cities have their points. If we're going to focus on larger cities (since the most beautiful towns I've seen were in Montana river valleys), I'd also say Seattle. What nature gave this area is simply beautiful.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:13 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Smile Weston Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1california View Post
I personally love cities like Santa Barbara , California that have a uniqueness all there own and are strikingly beautiful and the entire city has on overall theme and look that is very cohesive through out the city . My other favorite city would be Charleston S.C. A very unique , authentic , city that in many regards has a European feel and quality about it , with very old and beautifully preserved architecture through out the city with intimate gardens and back alleys similar to many European cities . What would your favorite cites be and why ?
I pretty much agree with most of the choices the other posters made. I know what you mean about Santa Barbara but I do not know the Los Angeles area well enough to name any more. The attractive "theme" really makes Santa Barbara stand out in my mind.

Parts of Broward County are pretty attractive too, especially parts of western Broward like Davie, Plantation, Sunrise etc. I love the new city of Weston!

Old 04-17-2010, 08:41 PM

21 posts, read 49,907 times
most beautiful...lake tahoe...we stopped at a micky d's while on our way to do some rafting on the truckee river...and wow..micky d's sitting up on a hill..with big ole pine trees cascading around it looked soooo beautiful..never thought i say that about a micky d's..

hard to say whats most unique....probably reno.."the biggest littlest city in the world"

Old 04-26-2010, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,660 times
Lexington, Kentucky is a beautiful city surrounded by some amazing horse farms.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:46 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
In terms of unique - i feel NOLA is the most

on beauty - many to choose from

Old 04-26-2010, 11:24 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times
Radburn, New Jersey, a section of Fair Lawn. It's unique for what its intended purpose was, which was the sharing cf common space. In Radburn, the back doors of homes are where the cars and garages are located. The front doors open into the common area of community space, which means that every home's front yard is essentially the entrance to a park. The idea was to encourage pedestrian traffic, and to combine the elements of dwelling, shopping, recreation and work, with minimal automobile reliance.

Radburn, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is what someone's front yard in Radburn offers you direct access to:

Old 04-27-2010, 12:05 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 5 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
Most unique large cities: Seattle, Washington/New York, New York/San Francisco, California tied, Chicago, Illinois, Boston, Massachusetts, Washington District of Columbia.

Favorite large cities: All the ones I mentioned in most unique cities except Boston, Massachusetts, but also San Diego California, and Portland Oregon.

Most unique smaller cities: Boulder Colorado, Santa Cruz California, Santa Barbera California, Burlington Vermont, Provincetown Massachusetts, Bellingham Washington, Olympia Washington, Eugene Oregon, Sante Fe New Mexico, Taos New Mexico, Aspen Colorado, Poultney Vermont, Northhampton Massachusetts, other.

Most unique states: California/Washington tied, Alaska, Hawaii, Texas, Florida, New York.

Favorite states: Washington/California tied, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, Colorado.

Least unique major cities: Jacksonville Florida, Indianapolis Indiana, Oklahoma City Oklahoma, Memphis Tennessee, Fresno California, San Antonio Texas

Least favorite major cities: Pretty much all the ones I mentioned for least unique major cities but also Baltimore Maryland, Cleveland Ohio, Detroit Michigan, and Orlando Florida

Least unique states: Oklahoma, Indiana, Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama

Least favorite states: The ones I mentioned in my least favorite states, but also West Virginia, Nevada, and Missouri.

Most beautiful large cities: Seattle, Washington/New York, New York/ San Francisco California tied, Honolulu Hawaii, Los Angeles California, San Diego California, Anchorage Alaska, Chicago Illinois, Salt Lake City Utah, Portland Oregon, other

Ugliest cities: Memphis Tennessee, Detroit Michigan, San Jose California, El Paso Texas, Phoenix, Arizona, Las Vegas Nevada, Fresno, California, Sacramento, California (California has some of the most beautiful large cities in America as well as some of the ugliest)

Most beautiful states(For scenery): Washington/California(well excluding some areas)/Hawaii/Alaska tied, Colorado, Montana, Oregon, New York

Ugliest states(For scenery): Oklahoma, Missouri, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi(away from the tiny coastline), Alabama(away from the tiny coastline).

Last edited by ; 04-27-2010 at 12:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.