Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times

Advertisements

The only people who have "no discernible accent" are deaf or mute. All the rest of you have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:52 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
So even that typical American accent is pretty noticeable down there? They'll hear me and say "Oh she is definitely American"? It's so strange since I'm used to this accent by hearing people speak it everyday and to have someone else think it's one of the weirdest, standoutish ones out there.

I was talking to some friends yesterday also and I mentioned that if me(with a general American accent), someone with a southern accent, a person with an Australian accent and a British speaker were having a conversation, to someone who doesn't speak English, we probably sound the same!
Definitely, the other day I heard a group of Americans talking and I knew after two words they were American (they could've been Canadian I guess). Just the way they said 'yeah' stuck out a lot.

I suppose just like the way we can't tell apart French dialects.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, which American accent are you talking about? The Northern Midwest accent which is very rhotic and often nasal? Or a southern accent which is slower and more drawn out? Or a New England accent which can be harsh like a Midwest accent but is non-rhotic? Or the west coast "surfer" accent? Or a Southwest accent influenced by the Spanish common to the region? There's lots of different American accents.
Most of the ones I hear sound like the ones I hear on TV - General American. At school there was a kid from Texas and at my church a young woman from Tennessee but both don't really sound Southern at all. I don't think I've heard a proper Southern accent before, actually (aside from on TV). The few occasions I meet Americans I generally ask them where they're from, and I notice quite a few from the Midwest, especially elderly folk. My interest in accents means I can pick up subtle variations; like how Westerners tend to say 'sure' as 'sher', or horrible as '*****-a-ble' as well as the obvious ones like the NY accent.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:47 AM

843 posts, read 1,431,763 times
I don't think I have ever heard a proper Southern accent on television in a tv show or movie. Most of the time people try to speak southern when required by a role but most southerners cringe when they hear it.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:14 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,292 times
Reese Witherspoon did a pretty good job in Sweet Home Alabama. But she is also from Tennessee.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:07 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Try watching a movie with Lucas Black in it, he has a very thick northern Alabama accent.

YouTube - LUCAS BLACK SPEAKS JAPANESE FOR FAST AND THE FURIOUS...

Old 02-19-2010, 08:54 AM

Andy Griffith Show did a pretty good job with the southern accent. But half the cast was actually from the south.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:25 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Andy Griffith himself had a good southern accent, but the others didn't IMO (Aunt Bea was a NYer).

Old 02-19-2010, 09:38 AM

What about Goober and Gomer?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:44 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,275 times
I have a Great Lakes accent (Michigan) and I live in Scotland. I've had people tell me my accent was really strong, that it was cool, that it was weird, and I've even been asked if I was Irish. Huh? I had a Scottish lady on a plane ask me if I was from the Great Lakes or Canada. When I lived in TN I had people tell me I had a Michigan accent.

I've had to change how I pronounce certain things in order to be understood. The biggies are twunnie, wadder, and sticking 'd's' in where it is supposed to be a 't'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.