Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:20 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
This is a great thread! Coming from North-Central Connecticut, but now living in Northern New Jersey, I never thought I had an accent. I do remember thinking my great-grandmother sounded exactly like Katherine Hepburn, haha.

My wife thinks it is funny the way I pronounce the word "idea". I don't annunciate the vowels like they do in NJ, and instead it sounds like "idear". However, don't tell me I have a Boston accent, I grew up on the border of the Western Mass area, which is where the Boston accent suddenly dies. However, I do drop my "r's" when upset or excited. Another thing my wife pointed out.

My wife on the other hand does not have that noticeable NJ accent, despite living here her entire life.

Also, she thought it was odd how often I used to say wicked. Not really an accent, but more like a geographical phrase. "The Celtics are wicked awesome!"
My late MIL was from Maine. They say everything's wicked good. I found it amusing, but I didn't realize how much it was a part of speech until I was looking through the classifieds in the newspaper up there and someone advertised property for sale with "wicked good deer".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:57 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
It is soooooo rare that I post to threads this long. But I found the OPS post rather interesting.

If a "foreigner" was going to comment to me that Americans have a funny accent, I know what my answer would be ~ "WHICH ONE????" I mean, good Lord, it differs almost from state-to-state in the US! Even in the southern states there is variations in their speech.

So there's southern accents, Lousianan accent (which sounds like a unique mixture of southern-Brooklyn), Midwestern accent, northern Midwestern (thanks to those Finlanders!), New England accents, good ol' New York (which sounds different from borough-to-borough), and New Jersey. California probably doesn't have it's "own" accent; in fact, I'm born and raised there, and all my life my "accent" has been mistaken for a New Yorker or "eastern", and that's likely just a European-English result.

Oregonians supposedly have an accent but I honestly don't know what that accent is ~ especially considering that a huge count of the people living here are NOT natives.

And what about native Indians? They all speak with unique accents. Hispanics and Europeans and Middle Easterns living in the US speak with accents.

The point I am making is that you cannot generalize "American accents".

I do like the Australian accent ~ I like it better than English, quite frankly ~ but I do not consider it particularly "masculine".

Old 06-03-2010, 11:37 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Of course, most foreigners probably can't tell the difference between American accents - they all sound the same to them.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:51 AM

1 posts, read 985 times
I've lived in Colorado and Utah and around here we have what's called "mountain dialect" which is funny because we can't even say that "right". We don't pronounce our T's. Mou-in for mountain or lay-in for Layton. I can tell if someone is from out of town if they put the sharp t-sound in their sentences.
My grandma also says warsh-cloth "washcloth" cray-on for crayon. It might just be an old person thing or out of state accent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.