Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:25 PM

14 posts, read 29,047 times

Advertisements

My child is going to college in the fall and hubby and I are free to relocate. Question is where? I have lived in Florida for thirty years (except for a three year stint in Alaska) and I am way over it. We are looking for a town with plenty of outdoor activities (trails, water, skiing) yet close enough to a major city to take in the cultural side of life. We like to go to the opera, theater, and museums. We are also sports nuts, so we like to go to football, baseball, or basketball games. The dream town we move to would be quaint, with old houses and a great, historic downtown. I hope buying one of the old houses wouldn't cost me an arm or a leg. I would like to be about an hour or so away from a major city. I'm not afraid of cold weather but I don't want major weather extremes---I've had enough of summer most of the year or winter most of the year. My husband and I are both teachers, so well paying, well run school districts would be great. I don't have a preference to what part of the country to live in so any ideas would be great. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 PM

155 posts, read 196,999 times
Pittsburgh, PA would meet your needs.

Pittsburgh Hotels, Attractions & Vacation Packages : Pittsburgh PA CVB

Old 01-18-2010, 02:07 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Three Rivers, Michigan would be great for you. It's a quaint, small Midwestern town, with a beautiful historic downtown district that's on the National Register of Historic Places. It's about an hour south of Grand Rapids, a major city, and if you want a REALLY big city, Detroit and Chicago are both about two hours away.

Three Rivers has a local theater group as well as several shows at the historic Riviera Theater, as well as a museum downtown. You can find more such opportunities in the surrounding towns. Professional sports can be found in Detroit, Chicago, and Grand Rapids.

Homes are plentiful and you can buy some fairly large houses for pennies on the dollar.

The weather is moderate, with four distinct seasons. Winter is from November - March, Summer is from June - August, and Spring and Fall are between those months. The summers are great, the winters are snowy, and the fall color is amazing.

Here's some links for you to check out:

City of Three Rivers Michigan*|*Time to Reflect
trchamber.com
Three Rivers, Michigan

Old 01-19-2010, 05:55 AM

Thank you for the replies. I have always heard that Michigan and Pittsburgh get really, really cold and lots of snow in the winter? Am I way off? Would love to hear from other parts of the country, also.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:38 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
Maybe somewhere outside of Denver, Albuquerque, or Boise?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manngirl View Post
We like to go to the opera, theater, and museums. We are also sports nuts, so we like to go to football, baseball, or basketball games. The dream town we move to would be quaint, with old houses and a great, historic downtown.
I'd recommend a place in south Texas for you because I think you'd like the warm winters, but I keep coming back to these three sentences.

With UT football and basketball and a AAA baseball team to the north in Georgetown, Austin has the sports and culture you seek. The best suburbs of Austin have quaint downtowns, but the sticking point is that they're also booming with growth. Austin has some great museums, including the LBJ library and the Bob Bullock Texas History museum.

I'm not sure that San Antonio would have enough sports or culture for you. UT-San Antonio will start Division I football in 2011, but other than high school football (a big deal in Texas), AA baseball, minor-league hockey and a WNBA team, the Spurs are the big game in town. San Antonio has two Art museums, and a theater downtown that shows the occasional opera and touring Broadway show. None of San Antonio's suburbs within an hour's drive strike me as fitting the notion of quaint, AFAIK.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:35 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
I would look at college towns The bigger the student population the better., Places that have large colleges ten to be pretty loaded with entertainment.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:15 PM

Thanks and I love your location!

Old 01-20-2010, 12:09 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I was thinking that something like this might work:
Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York , Hamilton CSD

Visitor Info - Visit Ithaca , Ithaca , Ithaca City School District - Employment Opportunities

Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce : Supporting tourism, a healthy business climate and responsible economic growth. , Canandaigua, NY -- The City of Canandaigua Government's Official Website , District - Canandaigua City School District , Canandaigua Business Improvement District - "The BID" (http://www.downtowncanandaigua.com/BID/index.html - broken link)

Glens Falls, NY - Official Website , Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends. , Glens Falls City School District , Glens Falls Hotels, Resturants & Businesses - Your Official Guide to the City of Glens Falls, NY

City of Saratoga Springs , Visit Saratoga! Racing, Tourism & Travel Guide to Saratoga Springs NY: Find Hotels, Events, Restaurants & Real Estate , Saratoga Springs City School District - District Home Page , Downtown Saratoga Springs - Discover It Again And Again

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce | Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce , Town Of Skaneateles Government Site , Skaneateles CSD , https://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv20258.php

Greater Cazenovia Area Chamber of Commerce (http://dcrossman.info/cazchamber/ - broken link) , Village of Cazenovia , Town Of Cazenovia: Homepage: [Digital Towpath] , Cazenovia Central School District

Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce | Home , Village of Watkins Glen, NY , Watkins Glen School District

Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide , Clinton New York, Chamber of Commerce: Clinton, NY Business/Event Listing: located in Oneida County: home to Hamilton College, NY, 13323, Central ny, Clark Mills, Franklin Springs, Deansboro, Oriskany Falls, Utica, Central New York, Mohawk Valley, Cl , Village Of Clinton: Homepage: [Digital Towpath] , Welcome to Clinton Central School District

Welcome To The Village of Youngstown, New York , Historic Lewiston, NY (both share same School District), Chamber of Commerce - Lewiston NY, Youngstown NY, Porter, Ransomville, & Sanborn ..::.. Lower Niagara River Region Chamber of Commerce , Lewiston Porter Central School District

Welcome to the Village of Pittsford! , Home Page | Town of Pittsford , Pittsford Central Schools - Welcome

Village of Owego, New York, Official Website , Historic Owego Marketplace - Have fun Shopping, Dining and Sightseeing in Owego, NY - Home , http://www.oacsd.org/

Experience Corning, NY - Welcome to Corning, New York in the heart of the Finger Lakes Wine Country (experiencecorningny.com) , Corning Area Chamber of Commerce - corningny.com , Corning's Gaffer District - Corning, New York - Shopping - Entertainment - Museums - Food , CPP Website - Home

City of Plattsburgh , Plattsburgh North Country Chamber of Commerce , Plattsburgh City School District Home Page

Welcome to the Village of Lancaster, New York , Town of Lancaster, New York , Welcome to the Town of Lancaster, NY , Lancaster Central School District

The City of Batavia , Batavia Business Improvement District NY , Batavia City Schools

City of Cortland Official Web Site , Welcome To Downtown Cortland NY - Home , Cortland School District

Welcome to the Official Website for Oneonta, New York , Oneonta Business Resources, Grants, Assistance, Main Street, Downtown , Welcome to Sweet Home Oneonta - Visit Oneonta NY , Visit Oneonta - Home (http://www.visitoneontany.com/downtown.htm - broken link) , Oneonta City School District

Great sites to look at school districts: New York Schools - New York State School Ratings - Public and Private
https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/Home.do?year=2008 (broken link)

Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 PM

380 posts, read 1,160,146 times
Shepherd University

Shepherdstown Visitors Center - Shepherdstown, WV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.