Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Place with low taxes, moderate weather, socially moderate, handicapped-accessibility, waterfront

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 03:43 PM
rjb rjb started this thread

2 posts, read 3,305 times

Advertisements

Hi-- from what I can see on these forums, there are an awful lot of people looking for the perfect place to settle, so you can handle questions from one more, right? If so, please bear with me, because this takes some explaining:

We are four adults (me, my disabled mother, and two of her sisters) who lived in Massachusetts, for over a decade. The taxes and the winters finally drove us to seek someplace else. So, after evaluating a number of factors, we moved to Tennessee, near Nashville.

But we don't really like it. The area just doesn't seem like "home" for a number of reasons, and we haven't bought anything here yet, so we're relocating again. We're looking for a *lot* of different things-- that's one of the perils of having multiple adults in a household-- and it's really hard to find an area that's quite right. We're looking for:

1. Low taxes. Tennessee has those, which is why we tried it here, but they don't have to be THIS low. Remember we're coming from MA. So anyplace where they don't tax us out of house and home will do.

2. Moderate weather. We really dislike the heat, but like I said, the New England winters were starting to get to us. So nothing in the deep South or where we can expect 50-plus inches of snow.

3. Moderate socially, too. I'm a liberal and my family members are conservative, but we're all pretty centrist really, and wouldn't be comfortable in a state that's too deep into the blue or red categories.

4. Access to some conveniences-- we don't want to live in the big city, but access to a Wal-Mart and a mall would be nice. Suburban, I guess I'm saying. Finding a balance we can live with here has been the hardest part of moving so far.

5. One of us is a Licensed Practical Nurse, one is an office manager, I'm getting a degree in computers, and as noted, one of us is disabled. So opportunities for work in those field as well as a degree of handicapped-accessibility would be appreciated.

6. We'd like access to the water-- we've always lived near the Atlantic, but anything with some good-sized lakes or rivers would be fine.

So far, our best guesses are:

Virginia: We used to live here years ago and liked it well enough. This is the favorite right now, boasting most of the things we're looking for and also some Civil War interest (a couple of us are history buffs) but I'm concerned that the economic situation doesn't seem to compare well to the surrounding area and that it seems-- well, still too south. Too much like Tennessee. I'd prefer something a little less hot and muggy in Summer, with more of a northern feel.

North Carolina: Same as above, only more so.

Delaware: Closer to the mark, but from what I can see, it seems to be pretty congested, with nice residential areas in short supply.

Pennsylvania: One of my favorites, but my mother (the economic whiz ) is concerned about property taxes that seem fairly astronomical in some areas.

Oregon: I like the look of this area and the general balance of factors, but it's a long way away. We already moved halfway across the country; if we move way over to the West Coast and don't like it, we could be stuck a long way from home and out of options. We've always been East Coast people, and were looking for something a little closer to what we're familiar with. Similar problem goes for most of the other Western states; they're not off the table, but the situation would have to be pretty close to perfect.

So, does anybody have any information about the above places that might help? Or suggestions of other areas that might fit the criteria? It would be really appreciated, as we're pretty close to the end of our ropes trying to figure this out. Thanks for your time!

RJB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 04:44 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Have you considered SC outside Myrtle Beach? I just moved there and it has everything on your list. There are several hospitals, lots of offices, near the beach, stores everywhere & weather is great.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:59 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Go to NC or SC, I think either place might suit you all. Raleigh is known for technology and medicine, but it wouldn't be your only option.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:08 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
The suburbs of Philadelphia are fantastic. Great economy, taxes are high but not NJ/NY insane. My personal favorite suburban area is around Valley Forge/ Great Valley,rolling green valleys, nearby lakes, streams, rivers and the beach is less than 2 hours away.

Every type of neighborhood you could want from $7 M mansions to $700 K mcmansions to $225 K single cape cods and we have towns with rowhomes if you're into that type of environment.

Coming from MA you would like SE Pa and its a bit more of a temporal climate than MA.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:40 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The suburbs of Philadelphia are fantastic. Great economy, taxes are high but not NJ/NY insane. My personal favorite suburban area is around Valley Forge/ Great Valley,rolling green valleys, nearby lakes, streams, rivers and the beach is less than 2 hours away.

Every type of neighborhood you could want from $7 M mansions to $700 K mcmansions to $225 K single cape cods and we have towns with rowhomes if you're into that type of environment.

Coming from MA you would like SE Pa and its a bit more of a temporal climate than MA.
Coming from New York City, following a job, I have to say the suburbs of Philly are the WORST possible choice. Coming from MA you would feel like a caged animal living in the areas you are speaking of. I appreciate the fact that you might like it here, but I'm seriously weighing he benefits of agoraphobia, lol.

-TT

Old 02-12-2007, 07:16 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Talking Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb View Post
Hi--

Oregon: I like the look of this area and the general balance of factors, but it's a long way away. We already moved halfway across the country; if we move way over to the West Coast and don't like it, we could be stuck a long way from home and out of options. We've always been East Coast people, and were looking for something a little closer to what we're familiar with. Similar problem goes for most of the other Western states; they're not off the table, but the situation would have to be pretty close to perfect.
RJB
I lived in Oregon for seven years and am originally from the midwest and have lived on the east coast (Connecticut). Oregon is absolutely beautiful without a doubt. It is quite a liberal state but there are definitely conservatives to be had en masse. I met many transplants from New York, Jersey and other portions of the east coast. It is definitely very different living than the east. It takes awhile to get used to but the people I spoke with would not go back east because they fell in love with it so much. We lived in the Portland/Vancouver area. Vancouver is across the river in Washington...and is considered a bedroom community to Portland. I worked in Portland and it was about a 20 minute commute across the bridge to my workplace. There are many jobs in the healthcare field. It seems healthcare and IT are the main sources of jobs in that area.

It does not rain all the time. So many people think it rains nonstop. Not true. Many summers my yard was brown (not a good thing, but it shows it doesn't rain all the time). The winters you don't get snow but you will see rain and ice. Winter is simply winter like everywhere.

There are no state taxes so if you buy a car for 12,999. That is what you pay, no taxes. If you buy a washing machine for $450, then that's the price. It's fantastic, but if you're looking at schools for kids then you should seriously consider private or home schooling because no taxes has it's price...and it is taken out on the schools.

We absolutely loved living there. From Portland we were an hour from Mt. Hood to go skiing, and about two hours from the Pacific ocean. The Oregon coast is cold water, even in the summer. It's more bearable in the summer, but definitely not like California...so don't plan on going swimming unless you love cold water. The coast is again, absolutely gorgeous!! Portland is three hours from Seattle and you can take a ferry across the Puget Sound to Victoria, British Columbia.

The only drawback I felt was what you mentioned. It felt far away from the midwest or east coast. My family is in Indiana so it as always so tough getting back. The airfares were spendy. We left because my wife accepted a fantastic job here in Minnesota (which we love so very much now). We miss Oregon and hope to return one day to visit...Minnesota has become our new home and with how friendly the people are here, all the lakes and accessibility to wonderful jobs it's fantastic. It makes suriviving the cold winters bearable...which aren't as cold as they used to be. So I guess I'll try and sell you on considering Minnesota too. Fantastic area!! We've lived here for three years and just love it. Very different from either coast. There is no comparison on how friendly the people are here.

If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer! Blessings!!

Old 02-12-2007, 07:45 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
Charlotte, NC seems to fit most of what you discribed. I'm disabled and can not stand high heat or humidity, but it's pretty tollerable to me. Most places around the U.S. are going to have heat/humidity issues in the summers, with the exceptions possibly being New Eangland and the extreme west coast/NW. Charlotte would be worth a look. Great area. We love it!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 08:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Coming from New York City, following a job, I have to say the suburbs of Philly are the WORST possible choice. Coming from MA you would feel like a caged animal living in the areas you are speaking of. I appreciate the fact that you might like it here, but I'm seriously weighing he benefits of agoraphobia, lol.

-TT
Sorry for hijacking this thread for a moment but...

What in carnation are you talking about Yapper?

Thats something else, a new yorker complaining about Philadalphia suburbs being crowded. Thats a good one for sure.

Have you even ever been to the western suburbs of Philly.Valley Forge/Chesterbrook/Great Valley/West Chester/Fort Washington/Westpoint? Its Princeton +Lawrenceville with a better natural setting.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:24 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Sorry for hijacking this thread for a moment but...

What in carnation are you talking about Yapper?

Thats something else, a new yorker complaining about Philadalphia suburbs being crowded. Thats a good one for sure.

Have you even ever been to the western suburbs of Philly.Valley Forge/Chesterbrook/Great Valley/West Chester/Fort Washington/Westpoint? Its Princeton +Lawrenceville with a better natural setting.
Well no offense, but there are entirely too many hillbillies in PA. That's my main beef, the people. Of all the states I have spent time in, Pennsylvania offers the lowest caliber of people I have ever met. You are probably very nice. I've met a few nice people living here. MOST of them are from other states or other countries, but nevertheless a few nice natives.

Then comes the drivers. I have no idea what is in the water down here that affects motor skills. Worst I've seen yet.

Then comes the food. It's German-land, so thats not my big issue. I just hate German food. Thats a personal choice though, so while it's something I don't like, I don't really consider it a fault.

That's pretty much it. People, Drivers, and Food. Otherwise, if I could empty out the trash this would be one hell of a nice place to live.

-TT

Old 02-13-2007, 12:55 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default St. Clairsville, Ohio

I would go for the area around St. Clairsville, Ohio.

Should have about what you are looking for, plus might even be cheaper than what you now have in TN. Houses are not expensive based on a national standard. Low crime, good living conditions, lots of shopping, services, etc available in the local area. Excellent location for travel to other places, right on major freeway access in all directions.

Rolling hills type land, a clean type of town, just about the right size. You shouldn't have a problem finding employment.

Good moderate four seasons, not that different than TN, that area does not get the humidity, even if the temps get up. Weather is milder than Ohio in general, don't get traffic or pollution problems.

There are a series of large lakes to the northwest up into Harrison / Carroll counties well within a day trip, Ohio River a few miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.