Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:18 PM

572 posts, read 1,996,188 times

Advertisements

I gotta go with the Chicago people here.
--If someone doesn't like a city, then fine. But I assume their opinion has been thought out.
--A few city geeks (maybe even a jerk or two) on CD do not speak for the other 3 - 9 million people who live in and around Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:07 PM

87 posts, read 80,328 times
Quote:
I don't get it.
Obviously.

Chicago is very respected by its midwest neighbors, but Chicago does not respect its midwest neighbors.

Last edited by pam21; 01-19-2010 at 10:42 PM..

Old 01-19-2010, 10:26 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,031,505 times
You guys kill me.

Look, Chicago has plenty of great qualities that other cities would die for. We all know this. But humbleness is not one of them.

The Chicago superiority complex is very real, in my mind. I'm not basing this off of a member at C-D, these are real life experiences. I had to deal with it from obnoxious classmates at MSU, then again at IUPUI, and when visiting the actual city itself.

I can honestly say that of my interactions with Chicago(land)ans through the years, my experiences were generally negative because of the condescending attitude, whether intentional or not. More often than not, it was "Lansing sucks this", "Michigan sucks that", "anyplace that isn't Chicago is a farm", and so on.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
You guys kill me.

Look, Chicago has plenty of great qualities that other cities would die for. We all know this. But humbleness is not one of them.

The Chicago superiority complex is very real, in my mind. I'm not basing this off of a member at C-D, these are real life experiences. I had to deal with it from obnoxious classmates at MSU, then again at IUPUI, and when visiting the actual city itself.

I can honestly say that of my interactions with Chicago(land)ans through the years, my experiences were generally negative because of the condescending attitude, whether intentional or not. More often than not, it was "Lansing sucks this", "Michigan sucks that", "anyplace that isn't Chicago is a farm", and so on.
And other cities, many much smaller, have qualities that Chicago would die for but cannot ever have because of the trappings of a big city.
Perhaps you can think of hundreds.
Chicago doesnt have a superiority complex. some people who live there however have all the signs of an inferiority complex. There are several articles online that back up that suggestion.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:40 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Milwaukee and Chicago get along great, ever been to a Brewers-Cubs game?

Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,031,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
Chicago doesnt have a superiority complex. It does however have all the signs of an inferiority complex. There are several articles online that back up that suggestion.
I think you're confusing the two.

An inferiority complex means that an individual (or, in this case, city) has extreme feelings of inadequacy or mediocrity, often unfounded.

A superiority complex suggests that there's a sense of exaggerated self-importance, arrogance, etc directed towards others and used as a means to conceal true feelings of inferiority. In this example, Chicago obviously falls under the latter definition.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
Obviously.

Chicago is very respected by its midwest neighbors, but Chicago does not respect its midwest neighbors.
You need to get on your meds-Mayor McCheesehead.

Stay out of the Chicago forum.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post

Go pay a toll. Or better yet, ride a train to a greasy food stand and get fatter.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:51 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post

HEY!!! we don't want him! You keep him!!!!

Old 01-19-2010, 10:54 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
HEY!!! we don't want him! You keep him!!!!
Maybe Iowa should take "it." There would be a pig stampede though if "it" located there. Residents of Iowa-run for your lives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.