Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best place to move for 27 year old with no job not alot of $$ and a dog(who has health problems)?
Portland(OR) 15 35.71%
Denver 17 40.48%
Las Vegas 4 9.52%
Other(please recommend) 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 06:03 PM

211 posts, read 986,697 times

Advertisements

I am stuck on where to live, I am a 27 year old with a dog and no job

I dont like the heat, but I kind of like gambling,, and I really need a job

I am currently in Vegas now, but my lease is up next week and not sure where to go

And I narrowed my places down to Portland, Denver or staying here in Vegas, but if someone has any other recommendations id appreciate it,, I dont really want to live in a bad area,, a decent quiet area with jobs available would be good(that doesnt cost an arm and a leg for rent)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 06:14 PM

353 posts, read 507,546 times
If you're coming to Denver you're going to want to have a job and at least a little money. In fact, if you're going anywhere you're going to want to have a job and some money--unless you're thinking of being a drifter or something.

Why did you choose PDX, Denver, or Vegas? If I were you I would stay in Vegas, get a job, save some money, and only then think about relocation.

If you're into gambling, you should obviously stay in Vegas. If you're into cooler weather choose Portland. Frankly, I wouldn't choose a city based off of my gambling habits. There are job opportunities in all three cities and, without knowing a whole lot about you, I think Vegas would fit you best.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:42 PM

I have been in Vegas since November and had a hard time finding a steady job, at least a permanent one, I did alot of Temporary work and had other ways of making money, regardless if I move to Portland, Denver or stay here in Vegas I am going to go out and get any job I can find even if I make $6 an hour and just deal with it until I find something else,, when I moved here in November I had like $2,500 saved up and was holding out to look for a job I liked with a decent wage,, now that I am in debt and borrowing money I dont have that luxury

And Portland I think I like that city, everything I hear sounds like it suits me as far as personality,, one thing I dont think Ill like is it rains all winter(and I know my dog doesnt like the rain)

Vegas I moved here because of the gambling,, I use to be good at Poker but I have lost whatever skill I had and dont have the money and the backbone to play anymore(but If I stay I am hoping to get it back)

Denver I hear is a good job market, rent is somewhat cheap and I like the snow and snowboarding(but dont have a 4 wheel drive car)

Old 05-20-2007, 06:57 PM

353 posts, read 507,546 times
You do, I'll admit, seem like a Portland kind of guy. It's a very single-guy with a dog kind of city, if that makes any sense.

Denver is not out of control expensive like Southern California--but it isn't terribly cheap, either. The skiiing is also not right in town. You're at least an hour from the ski areas west in the mountains.

It sounds like you're sort of leaning towards Portland--which, by the way, is a little cheaper than Denver--you might want to think seriously about going to P-town. It does have a decent, growing job market in a diversity of industries. You sound like an adventurous sort of guy so if you're willing to move jobless PDX may be a good option.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:15 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,614,397 times
Another vote for Portland here, seems like the best fit for you.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:29 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,189,882 times
Charlotte, NC

Old 05-20-2007, 08:21 PM

942 posts, read 1,401,838 times
I would only move to Portland if you already had employment here. This is not a city to move to without a job, unless you have family or friends that would allow you to stay with them, until you were employed and able to manage the cost of living on your own. Too many people move here without a job and enough in savings to handle unemployment. They end up homeless or close to it, anyone living here unless they are oblivious to life here, should give you the same advice. This is not a mecca for jobs, and has had the highest unemployment in the USA. There has been some recovery, but we just do not have large amounts of industry for gainful employment. So come if you like, I am sure you will find Oregon attractive, but have employment first, it makes it a whole lot easier on yourself.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I would only move to Portland if you already had employment here. This is not a city to move to without a job, unless you have family or friends that would allow you to stay with them, until you were employed and able to manage the cost of living on your own. Too many people move here without a job and enough in savings to handle unemployment. They end up homeless or close to it, anyone living here unless they are oblivious to life here, should give you the same advice. This is not a mecca for jobs, and has had the highest unemployment in the USA. There has been some recovery, but we just do not have large amounts of industry for gainful employment. So come if you like, I am sure you will find Oregon attractive, but have employment first, it makes it a whole lot easier on yourself.
but are there entry level jobs, even like working in a super market or doing something where I only get like $7 an hour,, I can live on that until I find something else

Old 05-20-2007, 09:11 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,381,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
Vegas I moved here because of the gambling,, I use to be good at Poker but I have lost whatever skill I had and dont have the money and the backbone to play anymore(but If I stay I am hoping to get it back)
I can't even believe I'm saying this, because I am the "Vegas Pilgrim," but you need to get out of Vegas-- and get out fast. Vegas is the worst place you could possibly live in if you have a gambling addiction-- especially when you don't even have your own money to gamble with. Most people that successfully live in Vegas and live happy, productive lives do not personally gamble at all... even if they work in the industry-- they let the tourists be the suckers and lose their money. Otherwise you could very well end up as the next homeless bum in downtown Vegas-- and that city is one of the worst places in America to be homeless.

You need to get a grip on yourself-- quit the gambling and move to a city with a more wholesome way of life. Denver could be the answer, maybe Portland, but I wouldn't limit yourself to just those two. You also need to find some kind of interest, learn some kind of specialized skill at a community college or something so you can find a job making more than $6.00 an hour. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 05-20-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I can't even believe I'm saying this, because I am the "Vegas Pilgrim," but you need to get out of Vegas-- and get out fast. Vegas is the worst place you could possibly live in if you have a gambling addiction-- especially when you don't even have your own money to gamble with. Most people that successfully live in Vegas and live happy, productive lives do not personally gamble at all... even if they work in the industry-- they let the tourists be the suckers and lose their money. Otherwise you could very well end up as the next homeless bum in downtown Vegas-- and that city is one of the worst places in America to be homeless.

You need to get a grip on yourself-- quit the gambling and move to a city with a more wholesome way of life. Denver could be the answer, maybe Portland, but I wouldn't limit yourself to just those two. You also need to find some kind of interest, learn some kind of specialized skill at a community college or something so you can find a job making more than $6.00 an hour. I wish you the best of luck!
I dont have a gambling problem, I just use to be good at Poker and that is the reason I moved here, I just never really got into the grove of it and had some problems since I moved here and didnt have a consistent job and never really played that much,, and any money I get from borrowing I put towards rent or other bills,, I am really good with money and wont find myself throwing borrowed money or my rent money into the slot machines or on the poker table,,, just if I stay here I really want to get settled down and give the poker thing a shot,, the reason I moved here was because I wanted to see if I can make it playing poker and I never really gave myself a chance,, if I leave this city without giving it a shot id probably regret it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.