Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 08:37 PM

427 posts, read 1,226,044 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am searching for my perfect place in america, and I don't know if it exists, so I am looking for some help. Here is a list of things that I am looking for in this destination in no particular order but i want this location to satisfy all of these criteria. Also when refering to cities, please don't hold statistics for just the city itself against the entire metro area. Thanks.

- lower than average crime for u.s metro areas
- lower than or average cost of living for the u.s
- has at least 2 major professional sports teams within the metro area, such as mlb, nhl, nba, nfl, I don't count minor league teams like AAA baseball etc.
- has year round weather that rarely or never falls below 30 degrees F. I'm not as much interested in annual days of sunshine, natural disasters etc. Just don't want prolonged days or nights below freezing
- has a division 1 college or university within the metro area
- still has american values, and seems like an american city
- has a laid back and unmaterialistic vibe to the area
Does this city exist? Please help me out with your knowledge of where this place might be. Thanks much for any and all help.

Last edited by Bo; 08-02-2009 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Updated title to make thread easier to find with search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 09:13 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,867,784 times
Jacksonville, Fla.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:29 AM

2,562 posts, read 2,890,955 times
Tampa

Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,585,985 times
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Oklahoma City Convention & Visitors Bureau Oklahoma City Convention & Visitors Bureau

Old 08-02-2009, 11:37 AM

93,855 posts, read 124,582,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
Hello, I am searching for my perfect place in america, and I don't know if it exists, so I am looking for some help. Here is a list of things that I am looking for in this destination in no particular order but i want this location to satisfy all of these criteria. Also when refering to cities, please don't hold statistics for just the city itself against the entire metro area. Thanks.

- lower than average crime for u.s metro areas
- lower than or average cost of living for the u.s
- has at least 2 major professional sports teams within the metro area, such as mlb, nhl, nba, nfl, I don't count minor league teams like AAA baseball etc.
- has year round weather that rarely or never falls below 30 degrees F. I'm not as much interested in annual days of sunshine, natural disasters etc. Just don't want prolonged days or nights below freezing
- has a division 1 college or university within the metro area
- still has american values, and seems like an american city
- has a laid back and unmaterialistic vibe to the area
Does this city exist? Please help me out with your knowledge of where this place might be. Thanks much for any and all help.
Buffalo, except for the weather during most of the winter would be perfect. Pittsburgh might actually be spot on, but not sure about the winter weather there. Maybe Cincinnati, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Houston, Kansas City and Nashville.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-02-2009 at 11:45 AM..

Old 08-02-2009, 02:18 PM

Thanks to everyone that replied. So far i've got jacksonville, tampa, oklahoma city, houston, and nashville. The other places listed don't meet the temp. staying above 30 requirement when i checked their winter average temps. Does anyone else know a place that wasn't already listed? Thanks.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:31 PM

93,855 posts, read 124,582,792 times
What about Charlotte? Also, I thought OKC only had 1 pro sports team.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:47 PM

From what i've just researched on okc they have an arena football league team, the wranglers and technically it's a professional sports team although it's not "one of the big ones," like the nfl, nba, mlb, nhl. And then of course their nba team that moved from seattle. Charlotte fits the bill except wikipedia said that it was above national average crime index for a city of it's size. This however is coming from someone that lives in st. louis, which is supposedly one of the most dangerous cities in america. So, i guess it's all relative since i've never been involved in any crime here in stl, and statistically speaking a city can't get much worse than st. louis. Maybe i shouldn't weigh crime so much. I just don't want a place with rampant widespread violent crimes.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 PM

137 posts, read 703,898 times
if you don't mind hot weather, i would suggest phoenix? i lived there before and i loved it and it fits all your criteria.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:50 AM

596 posts, read 1,709,191 times
[QUOTE Also, I thought OKC only had 1 pro sports team.[/quote]

It does, as well as Jacksonville which made the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.