Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:00 AM

26,721 posts, read 41,972,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman89 View Post
I'm in Reading PA

To give you a hint it is like someone took Philly. stripped away center city and the culture and just thru the ghetto and corruption northward.

That is Reading.
I have a co-worker who moved from Reading back to VA. She said someone she knew got a real nice 5 bed house for $65k up there. After reading about Reading i know why that place was so cheap.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 01-21-2009 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:10 AM

26,721 posts, read 41,972,611 times
I'm currently stuck in Alexandria, VA. "Arent crazy about" is too generous for my feelings on Alexandria. I HATE Alexandria. Lots of hyper-liberals, illegals, yuppies, and horrid drivers. Most of the people are just straight up hostile. This place hates anyone who happens to be middle-class. My mother is paying over $1300 for a small 2 bed apt and the crime has spiked in our neighborhood and the area is going to the dogs. I feel like i'm in a third world country. The sad thing is a great state like Virginia has to put up with Alexandria b/c of the money they give to the rest of the state.

I'm only waiting for BRAC to give my mother orders either for this year or 2010 to Ft. Knox/Louisville/Elizabethtown, KY. If it goes to 2010 or longer i'll be moving out on my own accord to Kentucky (even if i have to sacrifice all the benefits with BRAC.) KY may not be the best place of earth but i think it will be a VERY welcome change of pace from Alexandria.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:22 AM

419 posts, read 605,146 times
I am in South Fla and I cant wait to leave

Old 01-21-2009, 07:42 AM

13,257 posts, read 23,008,922 times
I spent a couple years in Martin, Tennessee (two hours north of and 20 years behind Memphis) and came to loathe it with every fiber of my being. It was like every bad stereotype of small town living and hostile Southerners come to life and you had to drive an hour one way to get to a decent park for outdoor activities or a decent bookstore.

The place we ended up after Martin isn't perfect by any means, but is significantly better and we're generally happy to be here.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:50 AM

2,810 posts, read 5,656,733 times
I'm in Lincoln, Nebraska- have been here for 12 years now. As others have mentioned about their towns, this is not the worst place in the world- it is a nice town that has a lot going for it including being clean, safe, etc. However it's just too small, is really much more like a small town than anything else- not a ton of shopping or entertainment options, and its location in the middle of the Plains nowhere near any big cities makes it difficult to even go elsewhere for "things to do" (unless you drive 7 hours west to go to Denver or 8 hours east to go to Chicago). But due to the economy and the fact that Lincoln is holding up really well, I think we need to hunker down here for the forseeable future.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:39 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,705,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I am stuck in Naples, Florida because of life circumstances. "Aren't crazy about" is putting it mildly. I hate it and don't want to be anywhere in this entire state.
Me too! Being stuck is the worst feeling! Hate where I am in this hot, redneck state!
I am in North East Florida, home of the whatever kinda people you wanna call them...wierd, hillbilly, uneducated, not friendly and I have not one thing in common with any of them. They all drive trucks and have no teeth! I am from Bergen County, NJ born and raised.....and have been here for 4 years way too long! I cannot wait to get out! I am here because the area had affordable homes 4 years ago...now most of those homes here are in foreclosure! Everyday is such a waste here. Plus there are NO JOBS ANYWHERE AROUND HERE. The only positive is that the home is really nice and my dogs have a nice, big parklike fenced yard to run around in. Otherwise there is O here for me!

Last edited by Blondie621; 02-28-2009 at 10:51 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 06:18 PM

3,017 posts, read 3,586,579 times
Austin, Texas....more specifically the north side of Austin.

Austin is not 'progressive' to me (lived in OlyWa, Portland, Eugene, Arcata etc) it only seems that way compared to the rest of Texas I guess or maybe Downtown is but its too expensive for me. Anyways, the suburbs here are fiercely conservative.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:31 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,214,467 times
I would SO love to live in Florida! Or anywhere that you don't have outrageous heating bills! Currently live in a small town (under 1500) in Iowa. Very clean town with a good school but no jobs locally unless you are related to someone or work in healthcare as we do have our own hospital/nursing home/subtance abuse treatment center (yes, it is all in one). I have to drive 27 miles one way to get to work each day, which isn't a problem unless the weather is bad. People here are friendly to a point but like most small towns it thrives on gossip! We are doing some remodeling on our house currently and hope to eventually sell and move to where it is warmer.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:48 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,638,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinia View Post
I would SO love to live in Florida! Or anywhere that you don't have outrageous heating bills! Currently live in a small town (under 1500) in Iowa. Very clean town with a good school but no jobs locally unless you are related to someone or work in healthcare as we do have our own hospital/nursing home/subtance abuse treatment center (yes, it is all in one). I have to drive 27 miles one way to get to work each day, which isn't a problem unless the weather is bad. People here are friendly to a point but like most small towns it thrives on gossip! We are doing some remodeling on our house currently and hope to eventually sell and move to where it is warmer.
florida has outrageous AC bills, more so than northern heating bills I would say... its a trade off anywhere... u can go to coastal california and never run ac or heat... but you'll have a trade off also in higher rent!

As for me, yes, not crazy bout where I'm at at all... my gf decided to finish up school and I am taking some classes now myself in a bit of preparation for an MBA ... I also have some family here... so I guess a nice little transition getting to see them some again before I go off.

Personally, I have spent the last 5 years of my life in Chicago, San Francisco and Europe... coming to Tallahassee now is pretty much culture shock, where everything is college oriented for 18-22 year olds, or pretty much middle america suburbia and the deep south soon as you step outside the city proper. I am also not into the slow pace, churches every 1/4 mile and no other cities to drive to in a 2 hour radius.

Little under 2 years and I will be out of here again though... should be Fall of 2010 when gf is done. More than likely will move back to Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Me too! Being stuck is the worst feeling! Hate where I am in this hot, redneck state!
I am in North East Florida, home of the whatever kinda people you wanna call them...wierd, hillbilly, uneducated, not friendly and I have not one thing in common with any of them. They all drive trucks and have no teeth! I am from Bergen County, NJ born and raised.....and have been here for 4 years way too long! I cannot wait to get out! I am here because the area had affordable homes 4 years ago...now most of those homes here are in foreclosure! Everyday is such a waste here. Plus there are NO JOBS ANYWHERE AROUND HERE. The only positive is that the home is really nice and my dogs have a nice, big parklike fenced yard to run around in. Otherwise there is O here for me!
shared sentiments here ... with me AND my gf... but hey we are staying in a family house for free instead of him renting it out while remodeling it (my dad stays at his beach house now)... so, w/e for now I have been living in Chicago and my gf is from San Fran/Manhattan... we pretty much hate it here, same thing we have dogs and a few nice parks... that is about all we do is take the dogs to the park, go to school, both still looking for a part time job for 3 months now. Also feel I have nothing in common w/ anybody here...

Last edited by grapico; 03-01-2009 at 07:04 PM..

Old 03-02-2009, 02:25 PM

38 posts, read 114,412 times
I live in a NYC suburb in CT. Overall, it's an okay town, typical suburbia. It's pretty boring and the only good thing is that I can hop on a train to get away from home and go to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.