Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which was the best Gotham City?
New York City 62 44.60%
Chicago 62 44.60%
Both were equally good 14 10.07%
I'd like to see my city as the next Gotham City 6 4.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:22 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times

Advertisements

Frankly Gotham City is a FICTIONAL city. It's not associated with any city. So I don't see how Chicagoans claiming their city is Gotham being any more pompous and arrogant than NYers taking it for granted that Gotham refers to NY.

Gotham is Gotham!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 07:55 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times
Everybody knows that Gotham is Richmond, VA.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
So if someone make a popular movie and set it in a facsimile of New York City but calls it Windy City, does that mean that New York can be the Windy City?

New York has been called Gotham city for 200 years. For 200 years. 200 years. 2 centuries!

Now on the strength of a movie based on a comic book, people want to call Chicago, Gotham city!

You post-modernist, revisionist wankers!!!

This book, Gotham: The History of New York to 1898

is not about Chicago. Imagine!

I take my city nicknames very seriously as you can see :-)

ABQConvict

Old 03-14-2009, 12:22 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
So if someone make a popular movie and set it in a facsimile of New York City but calls it Windy City, does that mean that New York can be the Windy City?
Something tells me that Chicagoans wouldn't even care if you took Windy City mainly because the majority of the nation still do not know why it's called that in the first place.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:37 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,072,926 times
This thread is stupid to begin with. Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher created their versions of Gotham City in a Hollywood studio. Christopher Nolan wanted to make Gotham City believable as a major North American city and chose Chicago because it is less distinct than NYC and the elevated trains. I voted for Chicago as being the best Gotham City on film to date. However, while the films were shot mainly in Chicago, parts were also filmed in London and Hong Kong. In fact, Kowloon's Walled City was the inspiration for the Narrows in Batman Begins.

To all of those arguing Gotham City's true location, you're all right. Gotham City has been shown to be in many different locations over the decades. It was originally modeled after NYC, Boston, Chicago, and Pittsburgh. It has ranged from actually being NYC, to being a neighboring city sharing a large bay with both NYC and Metropolis. It has been located entirely within the state of New Jersey. Its physical geography resembles the Rhode Island coast. It has also been a Midwestern city located on the shores of Lake Gotham. It has, at one point, even been located on the West Coast approximately where Vancouver is located. Nobody knows where it is, that's the fun of it.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:18 PM

893 posts, read 1,579,748 times
Chicago is the Big Apple people, not Gotham city!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!geesh!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2009, 02:41 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
This thread is stupid to begin with. Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher created their versions of Gotham City in a Hollywood studio.
Pinewood Studios in the UK, actually.

Quote:
Christopher Nolan wanted to make Gotham City believable as a major North American city and chose Chicago because it is less distinct than NYC and the elevated trains.
I think the alleys play a big part, too. Chicago has tons of alleys. New York has far fewer. Also, they don't really use any shots of the el in Batman Begins... They used it far more in Spiderman 2.
Quote:
I voted for Chicago as being the best Gotham City on film to date. However, while the films were shot mainly in Chicago, parts were also filmed in London and Hong Kong. In fact, Kowloon's Walled City was the inspiration for the Narrows in Batman Begins.
Well... the scenes shot in Hong Kong were of Hong Kong. The vast majority of the films are pure Chicago. This was especially evident in TDK. I saw a good bit of filming for both movies around the city.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:30 PM

8 posts, read 15,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Nope. Superman's city was always suppose to be NYC. Gotham meant to resemble Chicago. There is a reason why both of the new Batman films (especially Dark Knight) was filmed in Chicago.
I kno right. I Agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.