Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:09 PM

62 posts, read 200,988 times

Advertisements

I dont know if anyone has posted this before, I haven't had internet in a while, so I don't know. I am from Talladega, Alabama, and I am amazed at the stupidity that surronds me. It seems that no one knows anything about the rest of the world or even the United States. I would take me a very long time to type all the examples I have. This is a state where people think Obama is Arabic just because he is a Muslim, you can see the bumper sticker that says the only good yankee is a dead yankee, and the movie Talladega Nights is not far from reality. To get to my question, is it like this every where else? I have long imagined moving to California or the Northeast, where people are intelligent and tolerant. Is this an illusion or is the South really as bad as TV would have everyone believe? Thankyou for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 08:21 PM

364 posts, read 526,817 times
Aca1-

Well, South Alabama is that bad and worse. Your right, very little to no traveling has been done by these people. I have a zillion examples. PM me if you like as the Southerners here will get all crazy and defensive.

I am from the North and it is much better. Much more intelligent, worldy and straight up sophisticated.

I am referring to rural Baldwin Co, I am unaware of the area you are talking about. Baldwin is rural, poverty stricken and uneducated. Wal Mart is HUGE here.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:58 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,162,378 times
Nope, it's everywhere. We have it oozing out here.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:59 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,542 times
Overall, there is stupidity everywhere. But in certain places, the more inept of any community is usually the ones that are outvoiced by the more rationable and reasonable. The northeast, most of the northern midwest, and the west coast are places where reason usually outweighs ignarance. Stupidity is definitely visible here, just in a different form (northeast=arrogance, west coast=shallowness, midwest=jumping into the great lakes at Febuary, lol) but in the long run, is truly an empty threat.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:01 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
Not to worry--the city of Atlanta will one day cross the Alabama line. (Probably be some heated discussions about that...)

We have so many 'Issues' and have to keep our noses firmly to the grindstone--increasing the economic growth, etc that we do not have time for 'Old' attitudes. A few choose to make time--but they don't have much support. Moving forward---Progress--that is the Goal.

We have Cox Broadcasting, Coca Cola, Emory University, GA Tech and more 'Free Thinkers'.

I am eternally grateful to have grown up here.

My mother's family--lived only 20 miles away--in what is now an affluent area of Gwinnett--they had the rural Southern attitude you described. Good, hardworking, decent people--never quite understood the distrust or dislike of 'Different' people, things. I always thought growing up in the South during the Depression really affected them. They are my family and I love them--Rednecks though they may be.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:21 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aca1 View Post
I dont know if anyone has posted this before, I haven't had internet in a while, so I don't know. I am from Talladega, Alabama, and I am amazed at the stupidity that surronds me. It seems that no one knows anything about the rest of the world or even the United States. I would take me a very long time to type all the examples I have. This is a state where people think Obama is Arabic just because he is a Muslim, you can see the bumper sticker that says the only good yankee is a dead yankee, and the movie Talladega Nights is not far from reality. To get to my question, is it like this every where else? I have long imagined moving to California or the Northeast, where people are intelligent and tolerant. Is this an illusion or is the South really as bad as TV would have everyone believe? Thankyou for your input.
The grass is not greener elsewhere. You may find groups of people attracted to specific metro areas due to cultural activities, schools, universities, arts, etc., but nowhere in the country is smarter than anywhere else. I guarantee it.
FYI, Obama isn't Muslim! He has Muslim connections, but my understanding is that he is Christian.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:29 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
I can't believe that whole "Obama is Muslim" rumor is actually believed by anyone (not that it would matter if he were). That being said, there are plenty of ignorant deliberately obtuse people all over the country and the world, no one region has a claim to them all

Old 02-03-2007, 09:55 PM

49 posts, read 306,999 times
If you search online certain states are ranked more intelligent than others. They have an actual list of smartest and least smartest states. Its based on graduation rates and test scores and that kind of thing I guess. Noticed northern states rally up the top... but then again some surprising states are in the bottom!

http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank.htm

Old 02-03-2007, 10:10 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
LOL--I think I have seen this list before.

Vermont #1---Can't help but recall the old 'Bob Newhart Show', with Larry, Darryl and Darryl--??Stereotypical Vermont residents?

Then they list states like Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Jersey as more intelligent than Virginia--

Connecticut, Massachusetts and Maine might be As intelligent as Virginia but New Jersey?

<ducking and running>

Old 02-03-2007, 10:32 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,394,047 times
Even when I'm not in high school I'm still rated in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.